6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 am 

Hello everyone!

I searched the forum, and I couldn't find anything related:

Where would I get a *custom* project box / case for my project(s)?

I've looked through polycase.com and others, and they have a big selection, and that's cool, but I'm looking for something custom. ABS, rounded edges, mounting holes in specific places, very specific dimensions, etc.

We can all get printed boards made to our specifications, so what about the housing? Have any of y'all done this before? I have a buddy with a 3D printer, but it's not the greatest quality, so I'm trying to look into other options. Or, maybe I could design the box in CAD and send it to a more professional 3D printer?

On the other hand, would it be prudent to find a case that I like, then create my board size/specs around that? Again, I'm not looking at a hunkin' box here, something much more slim and tight, hence my desire for 'custom'.

I would not like to spend $100 on a case of course, but I'm just seeing what's available out there.

Just wondering if y'all have some experience here. Thank you everyone!

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm 

I've purchased wooden boxes from a local craft store. They're sold in a variety of sizes and the market for craft boxes is larger than electronic project boxes, so they are considerably cheaper. I have also purchased seconds that have a cosmetic defect which are even cheaper. That's fine with me as I am going to cut holes in them anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:30 pm 

For truly custom enclosure you may want to contemplate using pc boards as the bottom/front/rear/side panels of an enclosure. PC boards up to 100mm X 100mm are inexpensive. You can easily label it with silkscreen and make cut out for connectors. The bottom panel can have wide power and ground traces for power distribution. The top panel may be clear acrylic to show the display.

PacTec CM5 series of enclosure is just right for 100mm X 100mm circuit board. It is a $10 item but sometimes you can buy a box of them on eBay that amortized to $2-$3 each. The front and back panels of the enclosure accepts standard pc boards of 1.6mm thickness, so you can design pc boards with black solder mask as a part of the enclosure.

For smaller pc board designs (2.1mm X 100mm), I like the Arduino acrylic enclosure. It is about $3; clear plastic for visual display; and opening for expansion connectors (aka "shield"). Some examples:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku ... asmo:zruno
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku ... smo:microz
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku ... lasmo:zuno

I'm thinking of putting a 6502 SBC in such enclosure.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:37 pm 

A nice thing about those ABS plastic boxes you mention is that they're so easy to mill with a Dremel tool, to cut a window for an LCD, another for a keypad, drill holes for LEDs to peek out, put a square cutout in the side for a DC-10 power connector, etc. and make these things fit flush with the surface. I'm about to finish one up for some in-house equipment for work, and then I can take a picture of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:43 pm 

Martin, thank you for that suggestion. I went looking at a LOT of things, and I think a 'cigar' box is closest to what I'm thinking. I didn't find anything specific, but I am not opposed to wood actually. I'll keep looking.

Bill, thank you for that suggestion! I went to the PacTec website and found 2 candidates that might work for my particular requirements and they aren't too pricey. I'll continue looking but that's a good suggestion, thank you.

Garth, indeed. That is one of the things that makes me want to go that route. Gotta have the gizmos and gadgets lookin' good! *Especially* because I spend so much time constructing them!

Anyone else, if you know or have a favorite style or namebrand, let me know.

Just for clarity, I'm looking for something to house 2 of those 10cm x 10cm boards stuck together, so basically 21cm x 10cm, and I want it as thin as possible, something around 1 inch in height. Smooth edges preferred.

Thanks everyone!

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:23 pm 

I've also purchased many boxes of recycled plastic anti-static shipping boxes. The inside dimension is 3.5" X 4.5". It makes great enclosure for electronic projects. Sadly I can't find them cheaply anymore.
Bill

Attachments:
DSC_67021217.jpg
DSC_67021217.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 1600 times ]
DSC_67011217.jpg
DSC_67011217.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 1600 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:42 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
they're so easy to mill with a Dremel tool, to cut a window for an LCD

Back in the 20th Century I had a project that featured an LED display. But the thing was for sale to a customer and, for the sake of appearance, cutting a window was something I wanted to avoid.

Hammond Manufacturing has project boxes with the front half transparent and the back half not, so I chose one of those. The LED display I was using has a red filter which I detached and located on the inside of the front half of the box. Then I applied black paint, also on the inside of the front. Then glue. With all the pieces assembled there's nothing visible but the LED display.

(What is the project, you ask? :) See here.)

-- Jeff
Attachment:
FM2_0032 WrpCrv.jpg
FM2_0032 WrpCrv.jpg [ 160.67 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]

Attachment:
FM2Bezel26MedRes.JPG
FM2Bezel26MedRes.JPG [ 259.81 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]

Attachment:
FM2All124MedRes.JPG
FM2All124MedRes.JPG [ 253.31 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]

Attachment:
FM2Guts24ShpSatBig.jpg
FM2Guts24ShpSatBig.jpg [ 87.68 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:48 pm 

Bill and Jeff, thanks for sharing! A good use of what is already existing. Jeff, you even painted it and put a filter on it to better suit your needs.

I just did the most simple search for "custom 3D printing", put something that was comparable in size, and yep, $75. WOW.

So, like y'all did, I'll be looking into using some pre-existing enclosure, and modifying it as need be.

That is, unless y'all know of some cheaper custom 3D printing folks?

Thanks again!

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:50 am 

You did not say where you are in Texas.

Many city libraries have 3-D printers available for use. You probably need a library card, free or low cost for residents, to get access to them.

Are you a college student or know one? Many also have 3-D printers.

Are you near a makerspace? I am a member in two and both have 3-D printers.

Tinkercad is a simple way to learn design; you combine simple geometric shapes. https://www.tinkercad.com/

Thingiverse has numerous designs you can download and use. https://www.thingiverse.com/

Finally, try arts and crafts or hobby stores. Many carry plastic or wooden boxes you may be able to repurpose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:05 pm 

BillG wrote:
Many city libraries have 3-D printers available for use. You probably need a library card, free or low cost for residents, to get access to them.

Are you a college student or know one? Many also have 3-D printers.

Are you near a makerspace? I am a member in two and both have 3-D printers.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I must live in a poor part of Texas, not near any major cities for sure. Our library does not have a 3D printer.

I teach at the college, and know the person who oversees the 3D printers, but their 3D printers are honestly not super great and he admits it himself. But it is a thought, good idea.

I had to search for what "makerspace" is. Nope, never seen one in my life.

I visited Hobby Lobby yesterday and didn't find anything grand, but perhaps some stuff that would be useable.

Good suggestions for sure. If I lived in Dallas or Houston or some place I'm sure this would be easier. Thank you.

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:26 pm 

sburrow wrote:
Hello everyone!

I searched the forum, and I couldn't find anything related:

Where would I get a *custom* project box / case for my project(s)?

Custom cases often command somewhat custom prices...

"Everyone" these days 3D prints, so if you don't own one, then

• Makespace
  • Hackspace
  • FabLab

Are terms to search for.

Some years ago, I bought a laser cutter as at that time they were more versatile than 3D printers - not so sure now, but with these you can either make tabbed boxes (e.g. dovetail joints) or cut layers (e.g. the Pimoroni style of Pi cases).

But off the shelf - there are 1000's to choose from and half the battle is finding the type and make you need. There are project cases for just about everything - still being made - so for a quick example:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/enclosures/e ... oxes-cases

and narrow down the choices.

These aren't custom but you might find a range that suits you and then, as myself and 1000s others did back before 3D printers and laser cutters, we adapted them, drilled, filed, sawed, glued in blocks of wood, etc. to make our little boards fit inside.

Hope you find something!

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:50 pm 

drogon wrote:
These aren't custom but you might find a range that suits you and then, as myself and 1000s others did back before 3D printers and laser cutters, we adapted them, drilled, filed, sawed, glued in blocks of wood, etc. to make our little boards fit inside.

That's what I'm seeming to find as the answer. If I want it to be 'customized', I'll have to break out the glue at some point. That's not bad, just it's funny in a way.

The search on Mouser helped, I found some stuff that would work size-wise.

Thanks Gordon!

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:22 pm 

sburrow wrote:
I had to search for what "makerspace" is.

“Makerspace” is 21st century snowflake terminology for what we used to call a “fabrication shop” in the old days. :shock:

I have two “makerspaces” at my disposal: my shop here at home, which is primarily for doing electronic stuff, and another, larger, shop in which I do steel fabricating, machining, welding, etc. The latter shop is where I built my large-scale locomotive, air boat and other projects.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:03 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
“Makerspace” is 21st century snowflake terminology for what we used to call a “fabrication shop” in the old days. :shock:

HAHA, that's hilarious BDD. You said it, not me :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:18 pm 

VHS tape is 7-1/3" X 4" x1", so VHS storage cases may be something to consider.
Bill