6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:37 pm 

Searched the DMSMS records. You're right -- No MAX parts listed. Lots of Arria, Stratix and EPM parts but no MAX.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:42 pm 

What is "DMSMS"? I think the MAX10 line is quite new; so I would not expect it to be discontinued anytime soon. On the contrary, I would expect they would still be introducing more variations.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 am 

DMSMS -- "Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages". This is how many manufacturers get news of part changes and obsolescence.
When a manufacturer (e.g. Intel) discontinues a part - they are requested to post Last Time Buy & discontinuation notices as well as any Product Change Notifications (PCN). These are posted to www.Gidep.org. Most companies comply to posting this information but I got burned by Broadcom a couple years back. We didn't get their notification of the pending doom of their PEX8311 PCIe controllers until it was too late.

I have always been a Xilinx person for FPGAs.
For my own use - I may look into the Max 10 dev board. Their smaller parts are dirt cheap and have a fair amount of logic in them, not a huge price jump to the larger versions. I might take my 6532 VHDL code and see how it works out with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the chip shortage that has even shut down some of the auto industry.

My friend, who owns the auto repair shop where I keep my locomotive, has mentioned that getting replacement ECMs for cars has been hit-and-miss as of late. Usually he purchases rebuilt ones, since most of the failures are I/O-related, making repair practical (I should mention that BMWs, by far, are the most failure-prone—based upon his records, one in four BMWs will experience an ECM failure). The rebuilt ECMs have gotten scarce, evidently due to chip non-availability, forcing him to purchase new OEM units...at five times the price. Needless to say, his customers aren't pleased when their cars go kaput due to an ECM failure and they get the bill for the new one.