6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 pm 

I've asked several times before about porting old operating systems to the 65xx architecture.

But what about a current one, that is getting more and more attention in the world of microcontrollers?

I'm talking about MicroPython, and I'm asking the experts if the 65816 could have its own port.

Edit: MicroPython isn't an operating system... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:55 pm 

Because Python is so wonderful?

But serously, why not? Any CPU is capable of running code written for it, and '816 is pretty fast and flexible.

Could '816 have a MicroPython port? Yes, if someone ports it. Maybe you should!

But there are much better languages out there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:07 pm 

I suspect we're looking for a simple, easily learnt, high-productivity language. I imagine any language I name would have some disadvantages.

In fact, maybe also a popular language, which cuts things down a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:32 pm 

From what I understand (and note that I'm not a fan of Python so this may be inaccurate or biased), MicroPython compiles into a bytecode which is then interpreted on the target system. Typically you might run the compiler on a separate system but it is possible to do some development on the target via a command line interface.

So on the target you need to write the bytecode interpreter/VM and provide all the back-ends it needs to function.

Note that MicroPython has no notion of banked memory, so you need to make the 64K banks completely transparent to the run-time. A Python program can and may allocate large chunks of RAM ( > 64KB ) and just iterate over it, so the VM needs to be aware of this.

There has been a port of MicroPython to a 16-bit PIC controller, so it may not be outside the reach of someone who wants to do the port but almost all the others are ARM or RISC-V. (Although I think there is a generic one written in C that may be a start, but it's not going to be efficient).

I have done a port of another language (BCPL) that compiles to a bytecode, and again, this language has no notion of a banked memory system and will happily allocate 300KB of RAM for some applications and expect it to be linear, addressed via a 32-bit pointer.

So, what about a port of MicroPython?

It's probably possible on the '816, so go ahead - do it yourself, or wait for someone to do it for you, or pay someone to do it for you because it's not going to happen by magic.

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 pm 

It's not so small that the runtime would fit in 64k, so the build of micropython would - if I understand correctly - need to be partitioned into bank-sized chunks with long calls between them:
Quote:
MicroPython is packed full of advanced features such as an interactive prompt, arbitrary precision integers, closures, list comprehension, generators, exception handling and more. Yet it is compact enough to fit and run within just 256k of code space and 16k of RAM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 pm 

BigEd wrote:
It's not so small that the runtime would fit in 64k, so the build of micropython would - if I understand correctly - need to be partitioned into bank-sized chunks with long calls between them:
Quote:
MicroPython is packed full of advanced features such as an interactive prompt, arbitrary precision integers, closures, list comprehension, generators, exception handling and more. Yet it is compact enough to fit and run within just 256k of code space and 16k of RAM.

If I read that correctly, then the run-time is 256KB - that's 256KB of compiled MicroPython, compiled into its bytecode. The run-time only needs 16KB of RAM to run, so 'HelloWorld" Will just be a handful of bytes on-top of that 256KB?

(Or is the run-time configurable as to just how much run-time you need?)

So the bytecode interpreter/VM still needs to be written and that will need to "linearise" the RAM that the run-time library lives in along with the data - just in-case someone decides to calculate Pi using the arbitrary precision integers and starts with a 100,000 digit number...

In a way that's not much different to my BCPL system - the bytecode VM interpreter is 16KB of '816 ASM, it needs a few dozen bytes of zero (direct) page, but to run a BCPL program there is some 48KB of run-time libraries and the command line interpreter which is all compiled BCPL. MicroPython has much more though - list handling, long integers and so on and that's what's increasing the size of the run-time (I guess).

It's still do-able on an '816 with 512KB of RAM though. (Which my Ruby board has and maybe if I had any enthusiasm for Python I'd look at it, but I've not, so I won't)

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 pm 

Yeah, I'm finding it quite hard to see how much executable code is needed and how much of the 256k is bytecode. The '816 is quite suited to interpreted (or bytecoded) languages because, as noted here and elsewhere, the program space is somewhat demarcated into banks whereas data space is (or can be) flat.

It looks like there is a python compiler in there, so cross-compilation is needed for bootstrapping but optional thereafter.
http://docs.micropython.org/en/v1.9.3/p ... ained.html

Also perhaps of interest, an explanation of a 500-line python bytecode interpreter (aka vm):
http://www.aosabook.org/en/500L/a-pytho ... ython.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm finding it quite hard to see how much executable code is needed and how much of the 256k is bytecode.
From asking around in #micropython on IRC, it seems the minimal port is 100% C and then it's up to whoever is doing the port to convert parts of it to bytecode as they see fit.

The documentation mentions "frozen bytecode" which is generated on another system and then runs from flash on your embedded system: http://docs.micropython.org/en/v1.9.3/p ... ained.html

The new trend in graphing calculators is to run micropython. Casio came out with it's new FX-9750GIII a few months ago which runs micropython on a 59MHz SH4. I got one for $39 not long ago and unlike the top of the line TI and HP models, it also allows native code execution. I'm very impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm 

So.... Given that there is some interest in MicroPython and based on my experience of writing a bytecode interpreter for another language that compiled to a bytecode I would suggest that it's possible on an '816 with (say) 512KB of RAM.

The question is: who is going to write the bytecode interpreter/VM for MicroPython?

I'm available for hire, but my rates are not low for this sort of work...

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 pm 

I would try to know first if it's worth it. How a 816 could compare to a PIC in terms of performance when running that VM machine?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:54 pm 

I doubt very seriously that anyone is implementing micropython in assembly on any platform. The C port might work if you're ok with losing a lot of performance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 pm 

Well it seems that the virtual machine that reads and executes the bytecode needs to be programmed in assembler, doesn't it? Or could it be programmed in C?

Also, there is also this feeling that most of the current CPUs, are not "efficient" in terms of how they execute code: they run fast because of the higher and higher speed and / or number of cores, but not because the internal engine that actually executes the instructions has been optimized enoguh.

In another words: would a good, optimized MicroPython VM written in assembler for the 816 be slower per se running at the same clock speed that a PIC counterpart?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:41 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
In other words, would a good, optimized MicroPython VM written in [assembly language] for the 816 be slower per se running at the same clock speed that a PIC counterpart?

I depends on which PIC you're talking about. I've brought a lot of products to market using PIC16's, and I can tell you the '816 would dramatically outperform them. I have some 65c02/PIC16 comparisons at viewtopic.php?p=4997#p4997 . PIC18 adds workarounds for a lot of the PIC16 mickeymousities but I don't think it would be enough for the job. PIC24 has the same kind of architecture but is a big step up from the PIC16's and 18's. PIC32 is an entirely different architecture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:39 am 

Well, after reading that thread you linked to, it seems that Bill Mensch/WDC won't be that interested in getting something like MicroPython or whatever else working on the '816 architecture anytime soon, then.

This could be done by some individual or company that should have a very good reason to have a '816 doing the work instead of PICxx or ARM based MCU that would have a lot more flexibility and community support.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 am 

Speaking of mickeymouse, I for one am pretty happy that there is a steep gradient separating this community from the Arduino/RaspberryPi mikeymousketeers trying to outdo each other on theytube.

I've done a bunch of AVR assembly, and it's actually not too bad if I remember correctly (especially after trying to use the PIC). But it is possible to have tools that are too easy to use. I don't know anyone in the Arduino crowd who knows the names of the AVR registers. Twiddling IO pins from dumbed down C++ (as if it was not dumb enough) is fun, and there is always a bigger 'duino when your 'sketch' won't fit... Then get a Raspberry Pi. Glue a bunch of LEDs to a baseball cap and make an 'instructional' video. Big fun.

It was a great relief to find a community of people who build and write thoughtful code, and often design their own machines. The level of technical discussion here is not matched anywhere else. I am pretty happy we don't have MicroPython, or any other 'easy-to-use' IDE.

I know from experience that sometimes it is pretty hard to figure out how to get something done, but getting Forth to work (and learning amazing intricacies along the way) and using it the way it was intended is so much more joyful than figuring out which library to import from 50 megabytes of crap that updates itself daily.

Enough of kindergarteners. Screw MicroPython. Or not.