6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 am 

As chromatix has a couple of times mentioned e-ink displays, I had a look, and found this project by Jan Ostman:

e-ink works by rotating tiny bi-coloured spheres using electric fields, and is non-volatile so uses zero power in between updates. You can also get tri-colour (black, white, and red) displays.

And according to commentators over on the hpmuseum and on the eevblog forums, the DM42 calculator display is a non-volatile or micro-power LCD from Sharp, which again can hold a static display with (next to?) no power.
Quote:
Assuming that the LCD in use is a LS027B7DH01 from Sharp

Any other experience of zero-power displays?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:20 am 

(Looks like the Sharp display, which is a 400x240 dot matrix, uses 50uW typical (250uW worst case) for the static display: Datasheet (PDF). It's controlled by SPI, needs 5V power, and can accept 5V or 3V3 signals.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:29 pm 

Yes, the Sharp memory displays aren't quite zero-power, and won't keep the image when the supply is removed (like proper e-paper displays do). They are, however, very low power and very simple to drive. The 128x128 one that I've used is also extremely thin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:48 pm 

Hi....is there any developer here who chips away at an e-ink screen? Don't you mind the little screen, absence of shadings and high info slack?

I couldn't want anything more than to realize which model would be the awesome programming in light of the fact that presently my eyes hurt when dealing with EIZO EV2455 (which is a decent screen in any case).

full turnkey assembly