6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:24 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
Hey, you're not too far from me. I live in Chattanooga. :-)

Don't know why I have not noticed that you were fairly close. Haven't been to Chattanooga in a while. May have to plan a little trip to the Tn Aquarium and Sticky Fingers. Might be an opportunity to meet up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 am 

Well, yea... a well deserved thanks to Mike for maintaining a pleasant forum environment for the rest of us to enjoy and leverage... share ideas, concepts, projects, problems and everything else. Mostly 6502 related but with the odd variations towards other bits and pieces... it's all good. It never ceases to amaze me to see projects that members present and work on in the light of other forum members.

The core team of members... the likes of Garth, Dr. Jefyll, BDD, Daryl, Big Ed, (the "65xx encyclopedia") and the rest.... too many to name (but apologies if I didn't name you specifically... good wines have a habit of slowing down brain activity), but this is one forum where everyone (generally) gets along in a common thread, one that started in 1975 and just seems to keep going. It's one of the only forums (fora?) that I check in on frequently, it's that good. Still, 64KB is good enough for lots of things, even in the new millennium, who knew?

Keep it alive....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:41 am 

Thanks to Mike for keeping 6502.org up and running for all those years... and for hosting my homepage.
Also thanks to Mike, Garth and the other moderators for keeping the spam (and the spammers) out of the forum, I can imagine that's a lot of work.

Started lurking the forum in 2001, and without the existence of 6502.org I wouldn't have tried to build a TTL CPU running 6502 machine code.
Signed up in the forum in 2012, it took Garth 3 years to drag me into the forum (mainly because I never had posted in a forum before).
But to me, over the years this forum here became something special, it's the only place in the internet where I'm still active.
I really would miss to hang out with the members of our little community.

Speaking of the community, it's amazing how big the community, the resource pool, and the level of knowledge have grown since the beginning.
So far, we have seen:
Projects with old NMOS 6502 chips, projects with the recent chips from WDC.
Projects where old and new technology (including non_6502 parts) are creatively cobbled together.
Projects that emulate the 6502 on a different CPU\microcontroller.
Projects that implement the 6502 (or a modified\enhanced version thereof) in a FPGA.
TTL implementations of the 6502, and reverse engineering attempts for the silicon of old chips.
...and I think this list isn't complete.

Thanks to everybody in the community for giving this place an amazing level of creativity, which IMHO is hard to find in any of the other forums out there.
The 6502 is anything but dead or obsolete, and I hope it goes on like this well into the far future.
AFAIK none of the other CPUs from the 70s can compete with this.

My first CPU was a 6502, my last CPU will be a 6502, and I'm not spending much time with remembering the CPUs I had tinkered with in between.
BTW: maybe it's a bit too early now, but when is the exact time and date to celebrate the 20 years anniversary of 6502.org ? :)

;---

Edit: 20 years anniversary for the forum (the old Delphi forum) would be November 25, 2019, at 5:38 pm forum time.
Thanks to BigEd for digging this out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:27 am 

Hear, hear! Well said, BigEd, Garth, and the rest of you. This forum is the only one where I read every post. And thanks to Garth for the moderation.. I'm a moderator on another forum. Spammers.. the lowest life on Earth as far as forums are concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am 

Yes, thank you all! It's great that there's a place where this group of highly niche enthusiasts can exchange our ideas and thoughts.

And Ed, why stop there? You've got a whole bunch of post count milestones coming up: 6507, 6510, 6522, etc etc :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm 

I am a newbie but I have to say this is probably the best forum I have found for talking about the 'innards' of the 65xxx chips etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:42 pm 

Well, what can be said to follow the posts above?

Myself, I'm interested in various electronic and 'retro' computer topics, so you will find me on various forums. In terms of CPUs, I'm mainly interested in 65XX, Z80 and 68XXX processors.

Can't actually remember when I discovered 6502.org, as I found it via Google when searching for some information on the 6502. But once I found it, I was very impressed, so bookmarked it immediately.

A while later, I decided to join the forums. But have been lurking for far too long.

Anyway, many thanks to Mike for this wonderful web site. And thanks to the moderators for keeping it pleasant. Being a moderator on some other forums, it's a job that can go from being very busy keeping order and keeping it tidy, to one where you can actually have time to read the interesting posts from valued members. And most members hopefully therefore get to enjoy the site without any mess. So well done :D

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:00 pm 

MichaelM wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:
Hey, you're not too far from me. I live in Chattanooga. :-)

Don't know why I have not noticed that you were fairly close. Haven't been to Chattanooga in a while. May have to plan a little trip to the Tn Aquarium and Sticky Fingers. Might be an opportunity to meet up.

Yeah, that would be great. Drop me a line the next time you head this way. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:15 am 

Here’s to adding to the chorus of thanks! Great forum, great people — we are fortunate to have this special place. Many thanks to those who make it possible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 am 

Definitely want to echo the sentiments here, and thank Mike and the senior members for putting this place together, being engaging and encouraging, and all in all being a bunch of top blokes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
... Although the 6502 came out in its original version 33 years ago ...

Please check your math, Garth, and then please accept my thanks to you and Mike N. and Jeff and Dieter and Ed and Michael and ... well sheesh, just about everyone else too for being such gracious and generous peers. Long live the 65xx and 6502.org!

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 am 

Oops. I'll fix it. Thanks.

Quote:
Also thanks to Mike, Garth and the other moderators for keeping the spam (and the spammers) out of the forum

I'm the only moderator (other than Mike Naberezny who owns the forum and website and could of course moderate if he wanted to). Ten or fifteen years ago I was having to kick out about two dozen spammers every day and delete their spam. It was taking way too much time. Then Mike Naberezny implemented the captcha and an automated background check that kept the spambots out and eliminated most of the work, although once in a while we do still get human spammer sign-ups we have to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:14 pm 

Thanks for making this resource available!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:14 pm 

Thanks Mike Naberezny, Garth Wilson, Jeff Laughton, and others for this excellent forum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:15 am 

Thanks Mike & everyone! without this community I never would've gotten a working system cobbled together!