6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm 

I think this is a good time to thank Mike for setting up and maintaining this site, with its many resources and reference materials, and this ever-popular forum. Long may it continue. You are much appreciated, Mike.

And also to thank you, my fellow forum members, for all the ideas, the enthusiasm, the interest, and the knowledge of the 6502 and systems which use it. I hope we continue to meet, in this virtual space, and enjoy each other's company for as long we remain enthused. Sometimes, too, we meet in real life, and that's also an excellent thing.

Thanks to Garth, specifically, for the moderation effort, which is much appreciated but usually invisible.

Thanks to the lurkers too, many of whom will surely speak up one day with ideas, projects, questions, encouragement.

And thanks too to those members who are no longer here, for reasons of one kind or another, who shared their thoughts and their work, their struggles and their triumphs, who asked good questions or supplied good answers, and whose contributions are still to be found in the forum, or nearby.

Finally, thanks to the tipster who let me know, in the nick of time, this moment was coming up: my post count as of posting this is... 6502. I'm not the longest lasting member here, or the most productive or inventive, but I seem at present to be the most verbose. Thanks for putting up with me.

As it says on every page: 6502.org is an ongoing project by Mike Naberezny. And us, all of us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 pm 

That's a great post, and a perfect choice for your post number 6502!

Thanks to Mike and to all forum members – I don't post much here, but this forum is one of my favourite corners of the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:21 pm 

:idea: Indeed, Great idea, BigEd :idea:

To allow you, BigEd, to post further (what I would appreciate) I catch the moment:
Attachment:
6502.png
6502.png [ 37.47 KiB | Viewed 5095 times ]
:lol:

And I like to second rwiker's thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:21 pm 

I echo your sentiments Ed. I have so much information I've posted as sort of a log to myself. And getting back into FPGAs and the 65Org16, this site is a real catalyst to get me back up to speed. So a BIG thanks to Mike! And Garth is a great 'behind the scenes' Mod. I dare say you do most of the moderating BigEd!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm 

Yes, thanks very much to Mike for all he does in this community.

As for 6502 posts, that's impressive!

I wonder who will achieve the first 65,816th post!!! hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
I wonder who will achieve the first 65,816th post!!! hahaha

Maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm 

... I ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm 

... will ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 pm 

... be ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 pm 

..that...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:18 pm 

... person! :wink:

ps- thanks, Mike & Garth! (Ed and everyone else, too)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 pm 

Kind of late to the party, but I also have really enjoyed being an active and inactive member of the forum. In recent times, I've been not as active as in the past, but that doesn't take away from the active part my monitoring of the various projects and discussion threads that are posted about on the forum; it is a constant source of inspiration and entertainment.

Over the past year, I am particularly grateful for the work that Mike N. and others have put into Py65. The tool has been an integral part of my 6502-related efforts on several fronts. Its availability is certainly integral to whatever success I've enjoyed over the past 6-12 months.

Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:16 pm 

Thanks for the very appropriate topic, Ed.

The internet has been a wonderful thing in various ways. After a couple of articles I got published in Forth Dimensions magazine in the early 1990's, Wally Daniels who used to be active here contacted me, and we exchanged reams of emails about the 6502. This was back when much of email was text-only, and sending email to someone who used a different service could be a challenge. As things got going, he wrote to me in Sep '99 (and I'm sure he won't mind me quoting),
Quote:
There is a http://www.6502.org that you should check out. It is a conglomeration of users and their homebuilt projects. It is a fun place to go when you think you just might be the last 65xx user on earth !

There was my introduction. Little did I know what this would turn into! :D Soon I also found the Delphi 6502 forum Mike started on Nov 25, 1999 and was running before he moved it to 6502.org and ran it under phpBB. Delphi apparently became harder and harder to deal with, and was even uncooperative when Mike wanted to move the data over, so he wrote his own program to read every topic and post as if it were a human reader and arrange them in phpBB. Brilliant! And I'm so glad he did.

Wally, BTW, had post #7777 on this forum.

In Nov 2000, I wrote to Wally,
Quote:
I've been in contact with Mike Naberezny (host of http://www.6502.org) about some of the stuff we've talked about and he's pretty excited about it. He says he'll do whatever it takes to help me get my stuff up

Mike did a lot to get some materials of mine posted at http://6502.org/users/garth/ around 2002, ten years before I had my own website, and before I knew anything about html.

part of Wally's reply:
Quote:
I have not given a web site much more thought after Mike got 6502.org going. His site is everything that I wanted to do and more. Mike is a great guy and one of those people who make the Web a real community. I first met him back around 95/96 when I sent him some 65xx datasheets after answering his request on usenet. We have not talked much of late (1 year maybe) but he is always ready to pick up where you leave off.

Thankyou, Mike!

Paralleling this forum in the early years, there was also the 6502ag Yahoo group. I was on that, and saw it get destroyed by spammers. I was determined to not let that happen here, which led to my being a moderator. You won't find anything charming about what I have to say about spammers. We definitely had our challenges. There were a couple of years when they sure tried, and it took an almost crippling amount of my time to stay ahead of them. Then Mike came up with some measures to automatically keep most of them out. Again, thankyou, Mike! Now when one does sign up, we have ways that we can usually tell they're spammers even before they post. The Yahoo group is still there, but traffic is pretty much zero after what the spammers did to it so many years ago. Yahoo (all Yahoo groups) has become more and more difficult to use, whereas Mike has a great thing going here that works quite well. Again, thankyou, Mike!

It was probably in the early 2000's that I said something about the 6502.org forum at dinner, and my wife asked, "What's that?" and our then-highschooler son said, "That's where everyone asks their questions about the 6502 microprocessor and Dad answers them." Well, since then, we've gained a lot of members who know a thousand times as much as I do about various areas, for example programmable logic, video, and OSs. It's great that we have such an array of users, and although we share the basics in knowledge, in another respect there's not a whole lot of overlap in areas of expertise.

We keep the archives for a good reason. It's not like facebook which has no categorization and it's difficult to find anything more than a couple of weeks old. From time to time, I have reasons to go back through old materials and get a much-needed memory refresher. At the same time however, I am impressed with how far this forum has come over the last 10 or 15 years. Although the 6502 came out in its original version 43 years ago, the community has actually been getting stronger, not fading, the resource pool has been getting richer, and the knowledge base has been spreading, again thanks to this platform Mike has given us! Many of use do have our own websites, spurred on by 6502.org, and that's great, but 6502.org is still the hub.

My own work goes in waves, and I have not been as active here this year as I would like; but I'm optimistic about the future of our shared interest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 pm 

MichaelM wrote:
Kind of late to the party...

Hey, you're not too far from me. I live in Chattanooga. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 am 

Thank you all for being a welcoming, helpful community.
Thank you, Mr Naberezny, for founding it.