6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ExpressPCB Plus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 am 

I downloaded their new Plus software earlier today. It uses the existing schematic program but includes a new PCB layout program. You can convert existing PCBs by loading then and then saving as the newer version (file extension changes). They also have some nicer options on some of their PCB pricing for their existing MiniBoards.

I brought in a PCB I've been working on that is the MiniBoard size (3.8" x 2.5"), has 4 layers with soldermask and top silkscreen. It also has 416 holes, so it doesn't qualify for their older MiniBoard service. I found two basic problems bringing the PCB file over. First, all of the existing through holes sized at 0.26/0.008 came in as 0.026/0.007, which is invalid. It also kept the 350 hole restriction so I still didn't have the MiniBoard service option.

I emailed their support team noting the two problems. They asked for the PCB file which I sent. A few hours later I received an email link for downloading a new version and the notes state both problems being fixed. I tried the import again and it works as expected, how nice is that?? I can now get their updated MiniBoard service with unlimited holes. The pricing difference was around $202 for 4 boards (old service) versus $91 for 3 boards (new service), or about $20 less per board.

There's a lot of new features which I haven't really looked into, but I am impressed by their support response and quick fixes. Once a I verify the board a few more times (and a one last hardware verification) I'll be ordering the boards.

Post subject: Re: ExpressPCB Plus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up!! I've always liked their service.

Daryl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 pm 

EPCB likely changed the internal format of their PCB files so the Copper Connections program can't decode the data and generate a Gerber from it. After all, if they can't lock you into their service then they will lose money. So by importing your old files into the new program you likely changed the internal structure to something unknown to Copper Connections. Also, you can't link your schematics to the new PCB layout software, a definite step backwards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
EPCB likely changed the internal format of their PCB files so the Copper Connections program can't decode the data and generate a Gerber from it. After all, if they can't lock you into their service then they will lose money. So by importing your old files into the new program you likely changed the internal structure to something unknown to Copper Connections. Also, you can't link your schematics to the new PCB layout software, a definite step backwards.

Huh? What's this? Copper Connections?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 am 

Michael wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

Huh? What's this? Copper Connections?

Copper Connection is PCB design software with the ability to import EPCB files and generate Gerbers. This article should further explain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:22 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

Perhaps that is the case.... I've not looked into the Copper Connections program. There are some new features however which would either make the Copper Connections program incompatible or an updated/new version would be required. However, you can link a schematic... and yes, I also was looking for the obvious (aka, old method) to do this. To link the schematic you go into board properties and click on the "Documentation" tab. Once you enter the schematic name/path, you can use the continuity tool to highlight the pads that are netted together and it also highlights the traces that connect them, albeit the contrast on thin traces will be a bit hard to see with the default color/pattern.

There's some differences that I don't like, which might be default options. Perhaps they can be changed, I've not had a chance to really dig into it yet. In any case, my goal is to use it for the latest board layout as some of the enhancements will result in a less expensive board with some extra features. One which I immediately used was to bury the separate power supply traces between bypass caps to components into the inner layers.

As of now, I still think it's too early to make a judgement call... the good news in my view, is that the development team are listening to feedback and making changes. Then again, once I start a new board layout using the new version, maybe I'll change my tune a bit.

Edit: Okay, because I had imported an existing PCB layout, adding the schematic name to the Documentation tab and using the Continuity tool gave the appearance that they were linked. Turns out that's not the case at all. I created a new PCB project and tried using a schematic... it's has no function at all. So, as BDD noted earlier, it doesn't work.

This makes me wonder what value the new version provides in creating an initial PCB layout. Unless you've memorized the entire schematic, it's going to be a long and painful project. It does give one the ability to "dress" things up a bit and get around from limitations in the older version. I also noticed the parts library is more limited so you'll likely need to create a lot of your own components. I found there are no existing PLCC sockets, which were present in the old version (sans a 32-pin PLCC).

Perhaps this is more of a work in progress.... ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 am 

floobydust wrote:
This makes me wonder what value the new version provides in creating an initial PCB layout.

In my not-entirely-uneducated opinion (I've been using ExpressPCB as a PCB source for some 15 years), the only purpose of updating the PCB layout program was to break compatibility with programs such as Copper Connection and xCheck, both of which are capable of reading the proprietary EPCB file formats. Especially worth noting is that it is possible to load an EPCB board file into Copper Connection and if the latter is running with a paid-for license, the EPCB board file can be decomposed into a Gerber and Exelon fileset, which is nicely ZIPped up for transmission to any board house that accepts RS-274X format Gerbers. Obviously, this capability breaks EPCB's vendor lock-in, and I have used it twice to get much more favorable pricing on some boards for customer needs.

The author of Copper Connection, David Cook, took money from anyone who purchased a Copper Connection license and then turned around and handed over his software to EPCB, knowing full well what was going to happen. If one runs the Copper Connection program and attempts to invoke a number of functions, they won't work, as they go to a now-nonexistent website. The licenses people purchased immediately before the transfer are essentially worthless. As far as I'm concerned, Cook is little more than a common thief who stole money from anyone who purchased a license and expected a fully functional program in return.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:05 pm 

Are there extra masking abilities in the 1.1.2 version? YET????

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm 

Vendor lock-ins are a big no-no in my book. In the software world where I make a living, we run into this all the time. Our company (not my decision) pays companies gigantic amounts of money for what boils down to a proprietary UI on top of a proprietary framework that is mostly built off good, open source libraries like Spring and Hibernate. It's very frustrating.

Now, I'm not 100% opposed to all software licenses...but I am opposed to vendor lock-in. This is exactly why I use Kicad. Also, I'm not advanced enough for anything more that Kicad can't do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Our company (not my decision) pays companies gigantic amounts of money for what boils down to a proprietary UI on top of a proprietary framework that is mostly built off good, open source libraries like Spring and Hibernate.

Uh, one has nothing to do with the other. Spring and Hibernate are common infrastructure. Nobody pays for common infrastructure because, well, it's common. Open Source has destroyed what used to be a lucrative market for infrastructure software.

Databases, messaging, object-relational bridges such as Hibernate. The reference implementation for JPA (the Java standard which Hibernate implements) is EclipseLink, which is a based off of TopLink, which at the time was a commercial, closed source library at the time owned by Oracle. Hibernate came out open source from the get go, and that basically undermined the market for products like TopLink.

Similarly, almost no one will pay for a web server nowadays. (We did, once, long ago -- paid Netscape for their server.)

What you're paying for, your "vendor lock in", is all of the business logic and rules that distinguishes your application from all of the other applications that leverage Spring and Hibernate.

You may as well say that your application is based on Java, "which is free".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm 

No, what my point was (which I didn't make very well) is that our company pays an obscene amount of money for a commercial, proprietary product that is based on open source software. This product actually has open source versions as well that are just as good. But, because exec's get wined-and-dined, the "powers that be" decided we should pay for something we could get for almost nothing...