6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am 

Thought it might be interesting to list the various 6502 and related projects as found on the project-hosting site hackaday.io

Hardware

FPGA and similar

Software

Emulation (embedded or otherwise)

Sources:

Edit: note that these projects could be in various states of in-progress, completed or abandoned. They might be roughly in order of popularity but best to treat it as random order. I haven't looked closely at all of them, and of course there might be others I've missed.

Last edited by BigEd on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 am 

Thanks for posting this. There are some neat projects in the list. I especially like the 6502 on the Boebot chassis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am 

Thanks. The L-star looks interesting. Now I am not sure whether to do l-star or rc2014. I guess I will have to build both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 am 

Elminster wrote:
Thanks. The L-star looks interesting. Now I am not sure whether to do l-star or rc2014. I guess I will have to build both.

I'm the designer of L-Star (and also KimStar which is really a sub-project of L-Star, and Propeddle which was the predecessor of L-Star). I found out about RC2014 a long time ago, probably in 2015, and I talked to Spencer Owen (maker of RC2014) about using it as a platform for some kind of future version of L-Star. We exchanged some emails and he liked the idea.

Back then, RC-2014 wasn't commercially available yet and I was thinking of making a 6502 version of (maybe called RC1402 or RC6502 haha) which would have used card edge connectors to keep the plugin boards cheap (they wouldn't require connectors). I would have designed a few small expansion boards with the Propeller, the 65C02, RAM, and maybe EEPROM and other peripherals such as a 6532. It would have been sort of a hybrid between the RC2014 ideas and the L-Star design. But I wanted to concentrate on some other ideas for L-Star first, and I have very little time.

Meanwhile Ben Chong (user bluesky6 on this forum) came up with a 6502 board for the RC-2014 platform so basically half of an "L-Star for RC-2014" is done, though the 6502 board is not commercially available at the time of this writing. The "other half" would be a board that has a Propeller to bitbang the 6502 bus on the RC-2014 should be easy to do (though a Propeller isn't fast enough to keep up with the 4MHz bus speed of most Z80 circuits). Or you could just use the KimStar idea of plugging an existing Propeller circuit into the bus of an existing 6502 bus.

Anyway, I like the RC-2014. I bought an RC-2014 kit myself (I don't know how Spencer can keep the price so low and make a living off it) and built it, but I have to admit I still haven't tried it out because I don't have a proper power supply (I know, it sounds silly but it's because it needs a 5V supply unless you put a 7805 voltage regulator on board and as it happens, I didn't have either of those on hand).

So yeah, basically: buy both! Have fun! :-)

===Jac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 am 

I'm battering away at a 6502 build, and I might go for an RC2014 later on, if I still feel like looking at Z80 assembly language.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am 

jac_goudsmit wrote:
So yeah, basically: buy both! Have fun! :-)

Great write up, lots of background info, thanks.

I was looking to order bareboards for L-Star and RC2014 6502 next week. The postage for the L-Star kit to the UK was a bit pricy (was nearly the price of the kit) so I think the only economical way to do it is get the blanks boards from OSH Parks (and have 2 spare, and need to get the rc2014-6502 from there as well) and then source all the components from Mouser.uk.

I have 3 projects planned, sort of running in parallel. L-Star, rc2014-6502 and breadboard playing (i.e. some of the tutorials on 6502.org), so have a big order for components anyway.

Then that just leaves he order for the main rc2014 bits. Think everything all in will set me back about (quick currency check) $260. But should keep me going for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:41 am 

Elminster wrote:
The postage for the L-Star kit to the UK was a bit pricy (was nearly the price of the kit) so I think the only economical way to do it is get the blanks boards from OSH Parks (and have 2 spare, and need to get the rc2014-6502 from there as well) and then source all the components from Mouser.uk.

No problem. It's an open source project and if you can get the parts cheaper yourself, more power to you :-)

In case you're wondering, I don't make much of a profit on the L-Star project, something between $10 and $20 per kit. I order parts in bulk and I get the PCB's as a Medium Run order at OSHPark, and Tindie takes some money too. I use Flat Rate Priority shipping because it's convenient, but I'm aware it's expensive. And the international customs paperwork is a pain in the butt so I charge a little extra for the trouble. If you're interested, I can set up a cheaper shipping method.

===Jac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 am 

Would be interested to know what you could get the postage to. I am sure I am not the only one in the UK who would get one direct if postage was a bit cheap, takes all the hassle out.

I haven't finished costing all the components yet, but unlikely I will get them cheaper than you can if buying them in bulk. I will hopefully work out what that comes to over the weekend.

Think I am taking Ed's thread off topic :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm 

Elminster wrote:
Think I am taking Ed's thread off topic :)

Indeed. PM sent.

===Jac