6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:44 pm 

Hi all,
Just joined up, I'm interested in getting back into messing around with the 6502, maybe finally build a computer with the chips I've had sitting around for years. So as a way of introducing myself here I thought I'd see if anyone has come across any of the old computers I used to deal with.

Way back when, I used to work for a company that built several 6502 based products.

One was a general purpose computer called an MMC/02 (for Microsport Micro Computer). It was probably about 5"x7" and usually had a 6502, a couple of 6522s, some ram and a simple power supply (bridge rect & 7805). There were a couple of accessories for it, in circuit emulators to run it from various host systems, and an EPROM programmer are the ones I remember..
We used it in some sports related equipment, such as scoreboards (hence the Microsport name) and it was also used for process control in a few industrial settings (brewing Champale was one IIRC).

Another product was a printer buffer for Commodore computers, the first one designed to work on the Commodore's proprietary serial bus. That was an interesting little number... a 6502, 4k EPROM, and 64k of DRAM on a board that was probably somewhere between 3"x5" and 4"x6".. basically packed as tight as it would go. An interesting aspect was that there was no refresh circuit for the DRAM, it used software refresh (a routine of 256 XORs called from various points in the code).

So if you've come across either of these over the years, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:22 am 

Okay, I finally found something on that printer buffer.. and why does this guy's name sound familiar? ;)

http://mikenaberezny.com/hardware/peripherals/serial-box-64k-buffer/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 am 

Nope -- I've never heard of him before. Don't know him. Have no idea who he is, what he's famous for, nor have any idea of his hobbies. And, as if that weren't enough, I have absolutely no idea at all why you'd even bring his name up.

:D

(j/k of course.)