6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:33 am 

I have access to a bunch of electronic engineering magazine/journals from the late 70s to the late 80s...does anyone know if there are any 6502 related articles in that magazine? (Or anything related/useful to 6502 design?)

thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:38 am 

I didn't have regular access to the industry magazines until '85. A couple of the articles I kept, I kept almost for no other reason than that they were 6502-related. They were basically about the problems in the original (NMOS) 6502, problems that were corrected in the CMOS ones.

If I were you, I'd go through the magazines and make copies of the relevant articles for Mike to post on this website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:53 pm 

What sort of year ranges would be good to look at? That is, does anyone know the specific introduction dates of the various versions, maybe the 65c816 as well? I can probably look through everything, it's more an issue of what to look at first. What is the earliest date I should start at?

If anyone has a good 6502 historical timeline document that would be useful as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:19 pm 

The original (NMOS) 6502 was introduced at WESCON in September of '75. The very first ones had a glaring lack of a couple of important addressing modes in a couple of instructions. I don't remember what they were, but I think that got taken care of pretty quickly. (I'm not referring here to other bugs and quirks which never did get fixed in the NMOS version.)

Western Design Center was founded in '78. The 65C02 came out in '80, and the '816 came out two or three years later (I don't remember exactly when). Wally Daniels gave me the URL of a video interview with Bill Mensch which has a lot of good historical info, but I can't seem to find it right now. Do you still have that Wally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:05 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The original (NMOS) 6502 was introduced at Western Design Center was founded in '78. The 65C02 came out in '80, and the '816 came out two or three years later (I don't remember exactly when). Wally Daniels gave me the URL of a video interview with Bill Mensch which has a lot of good historical info, but I can't seem to find it right now. Do you still have that Wally?

Hi Garth,

Try this link : http://silicongenesis.stanford.edu/comp ... sting.html
I know that COMPUTE! magazine published an article about the IIgs
in one of its 1986 magazines, but I can't recall which. I do have it
tucked away somewhere but it would take an earthquake to uncover !

As well, it might pay to track down a guy by the name of Jim Brain
who has done alot of 65xx, CBM and other archival work over the
years. I am not sure if he still follows the 65xx family, but I am sure he
could point those interested in the right direction.

Regards, Wally