6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 am 

Hi everyone.
This is my first venture into a home built computer (or even just powering up a standalone CPU) so I'm probably going to make plenty of mistakes ^_^

One thing I've come across having just finished connecting everything up and adding power is that the address bus is alternating between an address location and 0xFF. I'm using an Arduino to tap into the bus and output to 7 segments with some shift registers, but I don't feel like that is causing an issue because when I hold the reset on the 6502, it will either halt on the address value or 0xFF on my display, so that makes me think the problem is with the CPU.

The address location that it displays will increment when I pulse the clock input with the 555 circuit I have, but not consistently and it seems like it will only increment when the display shows the address location rather than when it is showing 0xFF. I also have a 1MHz oscillator connected up and when it switch over to that, the display will run normally with no 0xFF interrupting it.

If it helps to specify the connections I have to the CPU here's a quick list..

VPB - NC
RDY - +5V (3.3k)
PHI10 - NC
IRQB - +5V (3.3k)
MLB - NC
NMIB - +5V (3.3k)
SYNC - NC

RESB - +5V (RC w/ switch)
PHI20 - NC
SOB - +5V (3.3k)
PHI2 - CLK INPUT
BE - +5V (3.3k)
RWB - NC

The data bus is tied directly to VDD and GND to input 0xEA or NOP.

I've been following the Veronica series to get an introduction with Garth's primer info to alter some things to suit the W65C02S.

I'll try and put a video up to show what is happening if it will make diagnosis easier.

Thanks for any help!
Simon :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm 

smnanthny wrote:
One thing I've come across having just finished connecting everything up and adding power is that the address bus is alternating between an address location and 0xFF.

You've only mentioned an 8 bit value, but the address bus is 16 bits. What is it you are reading?

Also, is this a genuine WDC 65C02 or some other brand? I suspect the latter from your description, but I won't explain why until after you answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:10 pm 

Oh sorry, it is a 16 bit bus, but my current display setup only shows 8 bits at a time so I've only got it hooked up to the least significant 8 bits, but i've also tested it on the most significant 8 bits and the same thing is happening.

It's a genuine WDC 65C02S :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 pm 

I don't know if I'm reading your list of connections right.

On the 6502/65c02, Φ2 is an output, not an input. Your clock oscillator needs to go to Φ0, and the Φ2 output then goes to the system. The oscillator should not go directly to the system. On the 65816, Φ2 is indeed an input; but you don't have an '816.

[Edit:] Sometimes Φ0 input is called Φ2 input. In any case, your oscillator should not go to the Φ2 output. If you're using the DIP, the clock input is on pin 37 and the output to the system is on 39.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm 

According to the WDC datasheet, there are 3 clock pins:

PHI1O - Phase 1 Out Clock
PHI2 - Phase 2 In Clock <--- which I assumed was the clock input for an oscillator. If I were using a crystal I would have connected it up to PHI2O as well as PHI2
PHI2O - Phase 2 Out Clock

I read your primer and noticed that you (and others) use PHI 0, 1 and 2 but the datasheet has 1O, 2 and 2O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

Do I understand correctly that you are able to single-cycle it and examine all the lines each time Φ2 comes high? What memory do you have connected? Any program?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 pm 

No memory or program at the moment, I've hard wired NOP commands to the data bus which IIRC was 0xEA, so after the start up sequence, it should look for memory location 0xEAEA, which will then mean that it reads NOP commands from the spoofed memory by hard wiring the data bus.

I can increment the CPU in a single-cycle fashion yes, but it isn't consistent and only seems to work when the hex display shows a the current memory location that the CPU is searching for, not when 0xFFFF (i'll refer to it in 16-bit fashion for ease of reading) is on the display. I'll upload a video tomorrow (it's pretty late right now here in the UK ^_^) which will explain the behavior a bit better for you if you can see what is happening.

EDIT - I was just fiddling around and I think it may be something to do with the 555 single shot circuit. I'm waiting on some inverters and then I'll try and rebuild that part of the circuit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:40 am 

From the W65C02S data sheet:

3.8 Phase 2 In (PHI2), Phase 2 Out (PHI2O) and Phase 1 Out (PHI1O)

Phase 2 In (PHI2) is the system clock input to the microprocessor internal clock. During the low power Standby Mode, PHI2 can be held in either high or low state to preserve the contents of internal registers since the microprocessor is a fully static design. The Phase 2 Out (PHI2O) signal is generated from PHI2. Phase 1 Out (PHI1O) is the inverted PHI2 signal. An external oscillator is recommended for driving PHI2 and used for the main system clock. All production test timing is based on PHI2. PHI2O and PHI1O were used in older systems for system timing and internal oscillators when an external crystal was used.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am 

smnanthny wrote:
EDIT - I was just fiddling around and I think it may be something to do with the 555 single shot circuit. I'm waiting on some inverters and then I'll try and rebuild that part of the circuit.

I wonder if the switching speed of the 555 is too low for the 65C02. I recall somewhere in the past that slow rise/fall time on the clock signal can cause the 'C02 (and the '816) to malfunction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:06 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I wonder if the switching speed of the 555 is too low for the 65C02. I recall somewhere in the past that slow rise/fall time on the clock signal can cause the 'C02 (and the '816) to malfunction.

I believe the 'c02 has a Schmitt-trigger input for phase-2-in, but they don't say how much hysteresis it has. It is possible that with poor construction, when other lines switch, signals coupled into the clock input by stray inductance could result in some "studdering" there, with glitches and runt pulses that put the internals into uncontrolled states.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:45 am 

If only this was during term time, I could use my University's oscilloscope to take a look at the signals and timings and such but being a poor student I don't have that luxury :P

I'll try and reconstruct the single-shot circuit over the weekend and see if that cures the problem. Either way I shall report back soon!

Thanks for the help so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:42 pm 

Here's the video if it's any help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttkqt5n6SA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:29 pm 

So what was different from what I was understanding earlier is that it goes to FF off and on even when the clock is dormant. If you probe the address lines with a DMM (since a dormant clock gives you time to do that), does it confirm what the display is saying? Are the voltages solid 0's and 1's?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:59 pm 

I've disconnected the display at the moment while I build a different one that will run off the same power as the CPU rather than the Arduino power but once that's done I shall check while watching what the display does.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:14 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

I believe the 'c02 has a Schmitt-trigger input for phase-2-in, but they don't say how much hysteresis it has. It is possible that with poor construction, when other lines switch, signals coupled into the clock input by stray inductance could result in some "studdering" there, with glitches and runt pulses that put the internals into uncontrolled states.

From the W65C02S data sheet, page 25 (also see timing diagram on page 26):

tF,tR Fall Time, Rise Time - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 nS

tR and tF are the rise and fall times on the Ø2 clock signal. That 5ns rise/fall time is maximum recommended for all clock rates. A 555 timer cannot switch that fast. I believe that is at the core of the problem being described.