6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 am 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
alkopop79 wrote:
.It's about joy of making and understanding.

Where is the joy after suffering for a year on my old project without internet help? There was no joy, until the discipline conquered the unknown mistake on my part, without the help of "voices".

That's why you need rock-solid documentation! I mean the kit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am 

Dajgoro wrote:
The think i would most like to see is a proper IDE environment for the 6502, like the 68k has the ide68k with a C compiler in it. I know that there is the cc65 but it is almost a year that i am trying to figure it out (it is not that i am trying with it every day), but even after i found toes documents, i still couldn't get it to work right for my system (in the simulator)...
If such a tool existed, i think that there would be a lot of cool project with a 6502 just to make them cooler, and it would gain more interest.
GARTHWILSON wrote:
6502.org is developing a reputation which is spreading as Hack a Day, Sparkfun, and other sites pick up our articles and give us more attention.

We definitely need more of that, because it seems nobody from my generation never heard about the 6502, every time i tell someone about my diy projects and the 6502 they are immediately confused, only collage professors recall something about the 6502.
Also many people think that it is like impossible to build your own computer, and that is like a taboo topic. So we should post more Youtube videos, Hackaday posts, and post into some other sites too in order to brake the ice/taboo.

Could not agree more. Bender robot form Futurama has a 6502 brain!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am 

I like the Micro KIM and Vince Briel's SBCs. However I would do something from the scratch or the SBC-2 or the UK101 (with permission, needless to say). There's nothing against the KIM it's just I don't know if the creator would want to share his already successful design.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 am 

BigEd wrote:

So, alkopop79, what's your current thinking? It's your project!

Ed

Instead of project I'd rather say daydreaming:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 pm 

alkopop79 wrote:
I like the Micro KIM and Vince Briel's SBCs. However I would do something from the scratch or the SBC-2 or the UK101 (with permission, needless to say). There's nothing against the KIM it's just I don't know if the creator would want to share his already successful design.

The one suggestion I have if you use the SBC-2 design is to use a different USART. The 6551 is getting harder to find and are usually older parts. An Exar XR68C92 is a dual-USART with 6502-compatible interface. I used it on my SBC-4. It also operated at the higher standard baud rates.

Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 pm 

BigEd wrote:
In order of increasing complexity then, you could have
1 - buttons and LEDs as a front panel
2 - keypad and LCD or seven-segment display
3 - serial-over-USB to a host machine
4 - onboard or PS/2 keyboard and VGA or RF out

Frankly, depending on the goal of the curriculum, I think #3 is less complex than #1.

If one of the components is a working monitor ROM, wiring up a UART/VIA seems to me to be a lot simpler than wiring up a keypad/switch and light display. There's a lot of discrete logic involved in doing that, which overcomplicates the design.

It would be a great 2nd stage project, but there's something to be said of having a system that's little more than a CPU chip, an EEPROM chip, a RAM chip, a VIA, and a clock. It's effectively an operating block diagram.

But this brings up another point.

I think this could be an interesting 2 semester course, with the first semester focused on digital logic theory, assembly, tools, etc. while the second would be actual design and creation of the computer with some control experiments in the late part of it. I don't think you could safely just start with a computer build and no digital electronics background.

It would also be nice if the design could be accomplished on a breadboard. I think they're more accessible and useable than wire wrap, and encourage experimentation. If it's a speed issue where it's simply not safe to run at 1MHz (it's too unreliable), then clock it down. I don't know much about that, though. Just seems when the cost of change is low, change can happen more often. Not doing weather modeling here, just seeing lights blink on and off is exciting.

It would actually be interesting to build it on a breadboard, boost the clock speed, watch it fail, show on test equipment (scopes, whatever) why its failing, then have a WW version going faster until it fails, and finally a PCB version. Just to help show limitations of the different techniques. No reason for the students to do this, but it would be an interesting presentation (to me at least).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:27 pm 

8BIT wrote:
alkopop79 wrote:

The one suggestion I have if you use the SBC-2 design is to use a different USART. The 6551 is getting harder to find and are usually older parts. An Exar XR68C92 is a dual-USART with 6502-compatible interface. I used it on my SBC-4. It also operated at the higher standard baud rates.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl, will do!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

whartung wrote:
BigEd wrote:

Frankly, depending on the goal of the curriculum, I think #3 is less complex than #1.

If one of the components is a working monitor ROM, wiring up a UART/VIA seems to me to be a lot simpler than wiring up a keypad/switch and light display. There's a lot of discrete logic involved in doing that, which overcomplicates the design.

It would be a great 2nd stage project, but there's something to be said of having a system that's little more than a CPU chip, an EEPROM chip, a RAM chip, a VIA, and a clock. It's effectively an operating block diagram.

I think this could be an interesting 2 semester course, with the first semester focused on digital logic theory, assembly, tools, etc. while the second would be actual design and creation of the computer with some control experiments in the late part of it. I don't think you could safely just start with a computer build and no digital electronics background.

It would also be nice if the design could be accomplished on a breadboard. I think they're more accessible and useable than wire wrap, and encourage experimentation. If it's a speed issue where it's simply not safe to run at 1MHz (it's too unreliable), then clock it down. I don't know much about that, though. Just seems when the cost of change is low, change can happen more often. Not doing weather modeling here, just seeing lights blink on and off is exciting.

It would actually be interesting to build it on a breadboard, boost the clock speed, watch it fail, show on test equipment (scopes, whatever) why its failing, then have a WW version going faster until it fails, and finally a PCB version. Just to help show limitations of the different techniques. No reason for the students to do this, but it would be an interesting presentation (to me at least).

I know some some might find using a USB port blasphemy and I understand the sentiments. On the other hand, many computers these days don't have serial port. My computer for instance does not have any and I would need an Arduino or an other UC to interface serial devices with the host machine. Also, USB would allow the users to write Android/Symbian/iOS apps to load and save programs, have a virtual screen, see the memory contents, etc. I love the TinyElf for instance, a COSMAC Elf emulation for Mac. Not only it features a 'fake' TV screen but it allows you to see what's in the registers (accumulator, etc.), RAM etc.

http://www.tinyelf.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm 

Also, ideally the potential customers could buy keyboard and LCD expansion or buy a uber-kit that comes with everything or chose the economy-version with just serial/USB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 pm 

whartung wrote:
BigEd wrote:

I would love a course like that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

8BIT wrote:
alkopop79 wrote:

The one suggestion I have if you use the SBC-2 design is to use a different USART. The 6551 is getting harder to find and are usually older parts.

Note that WDC has removed the W65C51N from their list of available parts. As Daryl suggests, you need to consider a different ACIA. I personally have never liked the 6551 due to its brain-dead design.

Quote:
An Exar XR68C92 is a dual-USART with 6502-compatible interface. I used it on my SBC-4. It also operated at the higher standard baud rates.

I designed my POC unit around the NXP 2692 dual ACIA, which can run at up to 115.2 Kbps on both channels. I have since switched to the NXP 26C92, which can run at rates up to 230.4 Kbps, and has a larger FIFO. I think André Fachat, at one time, had worked out how to adapt a 16550 ACIA to the 6502 bus. However, the 16550 is a bit of a pain to program, and is not a device that I would recommend in a new design.

Note that in its original incarnation, the XR68C92 (as the Phillips 6892) was a Motorola 6800 bus-compatible part with relatively slow timings. The 68C92 was an adaptation that also was friendly with the Motorola 68K bus. As the industry evolved and x86 became the dominating architecture, Phillips (now NXP Semiconductors) modified the 6892 design to be Intel bus-compatible, resulting in the 2692 and its sibling the 8-channel 2698. Since then, the 6892 design has been marginalized and is seldom seen in new designs (or old ones, for that matter). The 26C92 was subsequently developed to support higher data rates, but retains software compatibility with the 2692.

During the early stages of designing my POC unit (even before I joined 6502.org) I had considered the XR68C92 but set it aside for several reasons, not the least of which is it is not readily available in single piece quantities from most distributors (it is non-stock at Digi-Key, and has multiple piece minimums). Also, the XR68C92 is not as flexible from a programming standpoint as its descendent (the 2692).

Adaptation of the 26(c)92 to the 6502 bus is trivial—it took but a few minutes for me to work out the logic. The 2692 is available in PDIP-40 or PLCC-44 packages. The 26C92 is available in PLCC-44 and other SMT packages.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 pm 

alkopop79 wrote:
BigEd wrote:
So, alkopop79, what's your current thinking? It's your project!

Ed

Instead of project I'd rather say daydreaming:)

It all starts out as daydreaming, my friend. 6502.org exists, in part, due to lots of daydreaming.

Now, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to convert your dreams into reality. You can be sure that there will be no shortage of opinion and commentary around here as you proceed. If there's any doubt in your mind about that, please take a look at my POC V1 topic, which runs to 16 pages and over 200 replies (and 44,000+ views—amazing considering how arcane most of it is). A lot of the replies are opinion and occasional off-topic stuff, much of which proved to be quite helpful as I worked my way toward a functioning unit.

Having been in business since 1985, I can tell you that if you decide to go ahead with a DYI kit you will need to undertake some significant research to find out what would be desirable (or not) kit features and, most importantly, if there is enough potential interest to warrant making the not-inconsiderable time and financial investment. I don't think you want to go the route of another individual who, a few years ago, reincarnated the Lt. Kernal hard drive subsystem, only to see the bulk of his inventory remain unsold. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 pm 

Quote:

Actually an LCD and the keyboard or a small keypad can be connected directly to a VIA, with no discrete logic. I'm not using any discrete logic on my workbench computer except the quad NAND for address decoding and the flip-flop to divide the clock and get around the mode 011 bug of the VIA's SR. I'm not using any programmable logic either. Intelligent character LCDs can be interfaced with as little as six bits (4 data, 1 RS, 1 enable) or only four if you get one with SPI (select, clock, data in, data out), and the keyboard or small keypad can take anywhere from 1 extra bit (as in my case for 5 keys and sharing LCD bits) up to 16 bits (for an 8x8 matrix that's not multiplexed with the LCD). Or, if you bit-bang a PS2 keyboard interface, you'll only need two VIA bits for that. I guess I need to expand my primer and/or "Tip of the Day" column.

Quote:
It would also be nice if the design could be accomplished on a breadboard. I think they're more accessible and useable than wire wrap, and encourage experimentation. If it's a speed issue where it's simply not safe to run at 1MHz (it's too unreliable), then clock it down. I don't know much about that, though.

The issue there is not really the clock frequency, but rather the rise (and fall) times of the signals. The clock (φ2) is the main problem there. Using solderless breadboard can keep it from working at any clock speed (even 1Hz) if the rise times are too fast. If you stick to 74HC and 1MHz parts so the rise times are slow, it will work. Otherwise the ringing following each rising and falling edge on the clock line, caused by the inductances of the long curved wires working with the stray capacitances, will be strong enough to change states at inputs, and make parts of the processor and I/O ICs try to go ahead with the next cycle before the required set-up and hold and internal-operation times have been met. The result is a crash, before it even gets going at all. This is extra discouraging to the beginner who has no way of knowing what the problem is. It's better just to avoid it altogether.

Fortunately, experimentation requires changing very few wires. The address and data buses still go to all the same places, so those probably wouldn't change. Much of what you connect the VIAs' I/O pins to can share VIA pins, so you don't have to disconnect them from one thing to connect to another. For example, my workbench computer has A/D and D/A converters hanging off the I/O pins of one of the VIAs, but when I'm not using the converters, I can use the same I/O bits for other things, without disconnecting the converters. Also, at least one of the three 65c51 ACIAs on that board will probably never be used again, but it doesn't hurt anything to leave it (or at least the empty socket) there.

Quote:
I know some some might find using a USB port blasphemy and I understand the sentiments. On the other hand, many computers these days don't have serial port.

I don't have any problem with using a USB-to-RS232 adapter at the PC end, but I don't like the idea of trying to put USB on your actual creation. I understand that the USB spec is so complex that the programming to run it would consume almost the entire 6502 memory map. (That info comes from Samuel Falvo.) There are ICs that do most of it for you that are interfaced through SPI, and I have mixed feelings on that. SPI is great.

The 14-pin-DIP MAX3100 UART is nice, having SPI and 8-byte transmit and receive buffers. The MAX3110 is the same thing with the RS-232 line drivers and receivers built in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

For the usb i think that is best to leave it to the usb to serial adapter. On my system i have a adapter pcb that i got from ebay, and it is connected to the mc6850, and since that the mc6850 ca go up to 1 megabit, it can be very fast. Also drivers are trivial, for XP i had to install the cp2102 drivers, and it worked with no issues, and i think that newer os have built in drivers for the cp2102.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 pm 

BDD and all,

While I found the Exar 68C92's performance, bus compatibility, and configuration very easy and reliable, I concede that it is harder to come by and cost a little more. That said, the 26C92's from NXP are less expensive and more readily available so are a better choice for the hobbyist and/or kit manufacturer.

Daryl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next