6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 am 

Cheers to UK's Jessica Ennis for being the all-around female heptathlete. What impressed me about her was the way she performed in that final 800 meter run. All she had to do was stay somewhere in the pack and the gold would be hers. However, instead of just putting it on cruise control, as she left the final turn she really poured on the coal, as we Yanks would say, and left the other runners in her dust. That's what I call being an Olympic champion!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm 

Well, the Games are over. My better half and I stayed up to watch the show at the end... I was very pleased to see 2 original Pink Floyd members come together for an awesome performance! I was looking forward to some David Bowie as well, but that was a tease with the "Fashion" song. But that was cool nonetheless. David Bowie has alot of good stuff IMO, minus the Ziggy and minus the Queen.. He reminds me of Sting in some regards. Anyway...

Now to what really pissed me off. Our national broadcast company, NBC, decided to switch to commercial when The Who performed some songs, after the tease performance singing a WHO song by non-band members just prior. I just heard about it on the local news on my way home from work today.

Ah... All the world is a stage, and some are pisst at the roadcrew (NBC).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 am 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Well, the Games are over. My better half and I stayed up to watch the show at the end... I was very pleased to see 2 original Pink Floyd members come together for an awesome performance! I was looking forward to some David Bowie as well, but that was a tease with the "Fashion" song. But that was cool nonetheless. David Bowie has alot of good stuff IMO, minus the Ziggy and minus the Queen.. He reminds me of Sting in some regards. Anyway...

Now to what really pissed me off. Our national broadcast company, NBC, decided to switch to commercial when The Who performed some songs, after the tease performance singing a WHO song by non-band members just prior. I just heard about it on the local news on my way home from work today.

Ah... All the world is a stage, and some are pisst at the roadcrew (NBC).

Adding insult to injury, NBC cut to some stupid drama that made as much sense as a screen door in the side of a submarine. All-in-all, their Olympics coverage just plain sucked! Way too much time spent on pointless interviews and useless yammering by Bob Costas, Ryan Seacrest and othersm and not enough time spent on actual competition. It worse this time around than in Beijing.

However, I will say the closing ceremony, that is, the part that we actually saw, was great. I'm not really up on current rock groups, so many of the acts were unknown to me, but I will say I enjoyed them all, not to mention watching the Spice Girls, much to my wife's dismay. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:56 pm 

I read somewhere that NBC didn't even air the 100m final (with Usain Bolt) directly? It was just part of some later summary? The most important or at least high-profile event in this Olympic games?

Could it really be true?

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm 

Tor wrote:
I read somewhere that NBC didn't even air the 100m final (with Usain Bolt) directly? It was just part of some later summary? The most important or at least high-profile event in this Olympic games?

Could it really be true?

-Tor

Apparently that was the case. Their coverage was dismal at best. They kept concentrating on aquatics and beach volley ball—when they weren't conducting pointless interviews or telling sob stories about how so-and-so started out as a crack baby and managed to become an athlete. I didn't see any weight-lifting, wrestling, and marksmanship events at all. Track and field wasn't good as well.

A friend of mine in Manitoba says the CBC's coverage was much better than what we saw in the States. Next Olympics I think I'll go visit him to see what I would be missing at home.