6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 pm 

Hmm, thanks for the pointer to that thread. It does seem to show that you can't please all the people all the time. On the positive side, it shows that there's no shortage of assemblers, or people able to write one.

I won't fret about the odd missing feature - this is a new CPU we're talking about, and having an assembler beats not having one by a wide margin, so that's the first step. (I have a lot of first steps lined up.) It can't be difficult to add shift operators to a python assembler, so that can go on a list. Nor can it be difficult to substitute a macro when encountering an unknown opcode.

I'd be interested to see an example of what you mean by nested macros and how they'd be useful. (Maybe in that other thread??)

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 pm 

I made some quick changes to Dave Beazley's assembler: here's the first working output. It's Bruce's minimal bootstrap loader:

Code:
ffffffe8 : 00a2 0003
ffffffea : 008e fe08 ffff
ffffffed : 009a
ffffffee : 00ad fe08 ffff
fffffff1 : 004a
fffffff2 : 0090 fffa
fffffff4 : 00ad fe09 ffff
fffffff7 : 0048
fffffff8 : 00e8
fffffff9 : 00d0 fff3
fffffffb : 0060
fffffffc : ffe8
fffffffd : ffff

It's kind of obvious, but I think it's still helpful to see these 16-bit bytes in black and white.

As a soft goal, I'm trying to arrange that the same source (software and hardware) can build for both 6502 and 65Org16. I'll give up if that's too hard - it can be revisited.

Code:
; minimal bootstrap loader
; Bruce Clark
; http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?p=10027#10027
;

; we use 32bit addresses here - 16bit machines will just truncate
SERIAL_STATUS_REG = 0xFFFFFE08
SERIAL_DATA_REG   = 0xFFFFFE09

; we carefully place the bootstrap so the reset vector is correctly placed
boot = 0xFFFFFFE8

boot:   LDX #3
        STX SERIAL_STATUS_REG
        TXS
again:  LDA SERIAL_STATUS_REG
        LSR
        BCC again
        LDA SERIAL_DATA_REG
        PHA
        INX
        BNE again
        RTS
        DATA # LOW(boot)  ;reset vector
        DATA # HIGH(boot)

There's a (specification) bug here: instead of loading just shy of 256 bytes as a bootstrap, it now loads just shy of 64k bytes. So we will need a slightly longer bootstrap. Or a change to the initial value of X. But also, I haven't taken any note that I'm loading from an 8-bit peripheral. So, the assembler is functional, but the bootstrap certainly needs work.

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:28 pm 

Instead of bootstrapping with an external serial EEPROM adding another device, wouldn't you want to boot up from the FPGA PROM?
It could contain at least the bootstrap code and could run everything internal, at least in the beginning stages. That way, you'd just start off with the FPGA and PROM with JTAG programmability. The assembler would need to compile a binary file though, and then you would use Arlet's bin2coe converter for ISE to make the ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:51 pm 

My plan is to boot from a block RAM which is preloaded with some bootloader image, which will have been assembled by a patched assembler.

I'm not thinking of serial EEPROM, or the FPGA boot PROM. The point of the i2c slave module is that I already own a USB to i2c interface, so for me this is the simplest way to make a bidirectional serial channel to a host computer. With that, I'll be able to load code, talk to a monitor, talk to a basic interpreter or other application, and so on.

In fact, as it's easy to preload any image into the block RAM, I could load a monitor there and dispense with the bootloader. (But I don't yet have a monitor)

(It's possible to patch an FPGA bitstream with new RAM contents without re-synthesising, if you need quick turnaround and if synthesis takes more time than is convenient. See the Data2BRAM tool, and app. note Xapp463)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:39 am 

Hi EEye
oops, I realise I'm closer to agreeing with your post than I thought I was. If I put my code into initialised block RAM, by means of having it encoded in the bitstream, then indeed I will end up storing it in the FPGA program PROM.

as you say, I need to convert the assembled output to a suitable format for the ISE tools: maybe bin2coe will help, as you suggest.

Cheers
Ed

see also here for mention of bin2coe and other techniques

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Edit: I don't see any nesting of macros allowed
Hi Garth, having clarified that you meant that you want to be able to use macros within (other) macro definitions - which is reasonable - I checked, and indeed Ophis does support that.

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:33 pm 

BigEd wrote:
...(It's possible to patch an FPGA bitstream with new RAM contents without re-synthesising, if you need quick turnaround and if synthesis takes more time than is convenient. See the Data2BRAM tool, and app. note Xapp463)

I would like to learn how to do this. I read the App. But I don't see Data2BRAM anywhere on ISE or iMPACT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

Looks like Data2BRAM is now part of Data2mem - see this forum thread

Post subject: 65Org16 working on FPGA!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 pm 

I'm delighted to announce that 65Org16 today ran a first test program on FPGA.

Here's the program (*):
Code:
        ;; for minimal proof-of-life with uart+led with 65Org16 in GOP24
        ;;
        ;; python3 ../../cpu65Org16/tools/asm65Org16.py tinytestrom.as

;; place the bootstrap so the reset vector lands at FFFFFFFC
bootstrap=0xFFFFFFEE

UartS1=0xFFFEFFF8
UartR1=0xFFFEFFF9
UserLeds=0xFFFD0000

bootstrap:
        LDX #0xFFFF
        TXS  ;; initialise stack pointer
        CLC

loop:
        LDA UartR1
        EOR #0xF
        STA UserLeds
        BCC loop

; this is arranged to be placed in the reset vector, by careful initial .Org
        DATA # LOW(bootstrap)  ;reset vector
        DATA # HIGH(bootstrap)

I need to tidy up the verilog and put it on github. I suspect I need also to add RAM - with only ROM there's not much point writing a program loader.

Presently I have an i2c peripheral for I/O and a bank of 8 LEDs too. There's no flow control on the i2c so I'm not sure yet how much work there is in making it into a usable interface to the host. Also, the i2c verilog I'm using isn't freely redistributable.

Got a picture - not much to see, just 4 wires connecting the OHO module to the i2c to USB adaptor, two for data and two for power.

Attachment:
File comment: breadboard with OHO FPGA module and I2C interface
DSCF3408.JPG
DSCF3408.JPG [ 584.25 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]

Cheers
Ed

(*) There was an earlier test program which just wrote the data straight to the LEDs, but I wasn't convinced it was doing anything - was it just my previous bitstream without the CPU which just connected the i2c to the LEDs? So I added an ADC. But that blew the carry, so I changed to EOR. Then I finally realised I hadn't adjusted the branch offset. This hand-adjustment of ROM contents isn't ideal.

Edit: fixup missing photo link

Last edited by BigEd on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 pm 

BigEd wrote:
I'm delighted to announce that 65Org16 today ran a first test program on FPGA.
And we're delighted to hear it!
Quote:
This hand-adjustment of ROM contents isn't ideal.
Reminds me of the old days with my KIM-1 :roll:

Congratulations, Ed! I think some of us out here are suffering a slight case of project envy!
All the best,

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:28 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Congratulations, Ed! I think some of us out here are suffering a slight case of project envy!
Cheers! I have to say it took two solid days of procrastination from downloading the i2c module to writing some verilog to put it on the FPGA. But doing that did break my mental block.

Also, I must point out that 65Org16 is conceived as being a least-effort solution to the problem of a 32-bit address space. The core is essentially a patch to Arlet's, and I haven't done much work. Should I be ashamed to say that I was beginning to doubt the correctness of his core when I finally realised that I hadn't patched the new branch offset?!

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 pm 

BigEd, congratulations on your first successful test! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

BigEd wrote:
...I have to say it took two solid days of procrastination from downloading the i2c module to writing some verilog to put it on the FPGA....

What do you mean: 'downloading the i2c module to writing some Verilog'?
Which I2C module are you using?

Also, just to refresh, you mentioned before your mod of Arlet's core has a 65K zero page?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:01 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
BigEd wrote:
...I have to say it took two solid days of procrastination from downloading the i2c module to writing some verilog to put it on the FPGA....
What do you mean: 'from downloading the i2c module to writing some Verilog'?
Which I2C module are you using?
It took me two days to get started - sometimes it takes me a while to get started on things. So, I'd downloaded the verilog i2c code from fpga4fun, but I needed to write some more verilog to hook it up to the FPGA pins even to test it. And beyond that of course to hook it up as a peripheral to the CPU core. (Note that I'm doing all the design in verilog, not in schematics or in the GUI.)

Because the i2c verilog from fpga4fun isn't redistributable, I won't be able to include it in my project. I might leave a hole, or I might find a replacement.

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Also, just to refresh, you mentioned before your mod of Arlet's core has a 65K zero page?
That's right - a byte is 16 bits, so a one-byte address gives you a 64k zero page.

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:17 pm 

Ah, I've seen his core. It's a I2C slave only core.

Very interesting so far! Good luck...

BTW, what are we to call your take on Arlet's core? Just for shortness sake when referencing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:26 pm 

I'm calling it 65Org16.

I suggest any architectural enhancements (extra instructions, etc) should use suffices to avoid confusion. 65Org16 just has the basic NMOS opcodes, with the exception of BCD which is undefined.

Cheers
Ed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next