6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:33 pm 

Dunno about where you live, but the weather report for aptly-named Furnace Creek in Death Valley (California, USA) predicts it could reach 130º F (54.4º C) over the weekend...in the shade.  That is close to the all-time record of 134º F (56.7º C) that was set in 1913...not that the average bloke would be able to tell the difference.  :shock:  It gets so hot there at times, it is literally possible to fry an egg on the sidewalk.

For some strange reason, the 90º F (32.2º C) weather we are having where I live doesn’t seem all that bad.

Sobering thought: rescue helicopters are unable to fly in Death Valley if the temperature is greater than 120º F (48.9º C), due to insufficient air density.  Also, cell phone service is sporadic at best.  If you decide to hike on such a day, manage to get lost and subsequently run out of water...well, there is a reason the place is named “Death Valley.”  :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:15 pm 

Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-07-04 161234.png
Screenshot 2024-07-04 161234.png [ 439.81 KiB | Viewed 708 times ]

Quote:
Special Weather Statement

Until Thu 7:00 pm CDT
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Austin/San Antonio - TX, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Travis County
Description
...ELEVATED HEAT INDEX THIS AFTERNOON OVER THE I-35 CORRIDOR AND COASTAL PLAINS...

The combination of warm temperatures and humid conditions will produce afternoon heat index values of 103 to 107 degrees. A few locations could briefly experience heat index up to 110 degrees.

Those spending extended time outdoors could be susceptible to heat related illness if not taking proper heat precautions, such as drinking plenty of water and taking frequent breaks out of the sun and heat. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles.

Meanwhile I'm sweltering in my home office with the A/C going.... ;_;

And we aren't even to August yet.... >_<

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:20 pm 

topping out at 85°F (29°C) here today 18 miles from the ocean in SoCal.  We've only used the A/C a few days so far this year.  I ride bike a lot, and I wore my winter jersey until a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:51 am 

Sacramento, CA - ~111F peak around ~110F now. Ignore Fermenter temp. It is the shed now.

Attachments:
temp.JPG
temp.JPG [ 115.99 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:45 am 

greghol wrote:
Sacramento, CA - ~111F peak around ~110F now. Ignore Fermenter temp. It is the shed now.

Fermenter?  Whatcha got brewing in it?  :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:29 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
greghol wrote:

Fermenter?  Whatcha got brewing in it?  :D

My poor ITX weather PC is in the shed taking a beating. It made wiring up the sensors easy.

I have Fireball Whiskey in the fermenter. :) naw When I was brewing the PC was in the garage where the temp controlled fermenting frig was so it was easy to monitor. I did mostly IPAs and Pale Ales.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:45 am 

20C but cloudy and windy today; 30C, thunderstorms and windy tomorrow; 22C and calmer on Sunday (looks thermic :mrgreen: )

With luck, a new wing I'm waiting to try will arrive before Sunday. If not, Tuesday looks good too...

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:17 am 

barnacle wrote:
20C but cloudy and windy today; 30C, thunderstorms and windy tomorrow; 22C and calmer on Sunday (looks thermic :mrgreen: )

With luck, a new wing I'm waiting to try will arrive before Sunday. If not, Tuesday looks good too...

Neil

Can we trade? XD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:15 am 

No! I want those flying days, got a new paraglider coming to test!

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:57 am 

barnacle wrote:
No! I want those flying days, got a new paraglider coming to test!

Gliders always make me nervous...something about not having any power and being susceptible to gusts.  For gosh sake, please don’t end up in the same predicament that did in Otto Lilienthal!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:46 pm 

Heh. I fly the only wing that's *designed* to fold up in mid air (in certain circumstances, and to unfold as well!).

I've gradually lost weight since I bought my current glider, and I'm starting to feel it's a bit of a handful on the ground and a bit slow in the air (occasionally so slow as to be going backwards in strong winds, which is not ideal). So I'm testing a size smaller, on a faster class.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:24 pm 

Learned how to fly glider in my 20’s; wonderful experience mostly, but what forced me out was banking hard in thermals, all that shaking and circling in >45 degree bank caused nausea and disorientation. I don’t have the right stuff to do long distance flying. Still go for a glider ride once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:38 pm 

The only unpowered flying I’ve done is parachute jumping.  As the jumpmaster said right before my first jump, “I understand your nervousness, son.  I’ve never understood why anyone would willing leap out of a perfectly good airplane.”  :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:58 pm 

Not un-powered, but un-guided flying is hot air ballooning. Did a lot of that in my 20’s and 30’s. Albuquerque is Mecca of hot air ballooning; we have had more dead balloon pilots than anywhere else. Eventually came to my sense and quit flying hot air balloon, just wave to them when they flying over my garden, a few even crash landed on my property.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:37 am 

plasmo wrote:
Not un-powered, but un-guided flying is hot air ballooning. Did a lot of that in my 20’s and 30’s. Albuquerque is Mecca of hot air ballooning; we have had more dead balloon pilots than anywhere else. Eventually came to my sense and quit flying hot air balloon, just wave to them when they flying over my garden, a few even crash landed on my property.

If you’re airborne with no power and directional control, it’s only a matter of time before something untoward will happen.  We have some hot-air ballooning going on around here, with occasional mishaps.  So far this year, no one has bought the farm, but we did have a fatality in 2019 about a mile south of my place.  The balloon was running short of propane, lost altitude and descended to where the basket hit the top of a high voltage power line pylon.  The basket tipped far enough for one passenger to fall out.