6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 am 

Wow :shock:

Perhaps I need to rethink I/O some of those options actually seem interesting. I think my biggest problem is I've never used I/O ports above the standard PC ports so my mind focuses on those.

I shale rethink, if I am going to do something I should do so the right way. My printer is not going to like me, just printed off the whole 65SIB thread, thanks!

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 am 

Quote:
just printed off the whole 65SIB thread

Reading the whole thing will help understand the goals and why we arrived at the final specification, but I know we really should summarize so the spec can be figured out much more quickly without having to read the whole thing. [Edit: Done, at viewtopic.php?t=1064&start=105.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:23 am 

Its similar to my card bus interface I was thinking of using, not quite the same however.

I'm thinking your right and my case wont do, which may be a good thing, as I was thinking of a ATX computer PSU but it would not have worked in my CD drive case but a new case I can make that work and get the -12V that as of page 6 is still in the running in 65SIB.

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:23 am 

For low supply currents like we're talking about for a few potential 65SIB devices, -12volts (or -10V, etc., since it's not critical) is easy to derive with something like the 8-pin LTC1044A (which I have in a tiny module) or the Microchip TC962, Maxim MAX1044, or related ones, and three capacitors. It's a very efficient switched-capacitor charge-pump voltage connverter similar to the industry-standard 7660 but whose input can be as much as 18V for the Microchip TC962. It can be used in different configurations as a voltage doubler, voltage inverter, or voltage splitter. The whole circuit wouldn't need to take even 1/2 of a square inch on a board. So if you already had 10V or 12V for example for something else, this 8-pin IC and two to three capacitors would give you -10 or -12V, and in the case of the TC962, give up to 80mA with 28 ohms' output impedance. The LTC1044 circuit I have has about 37 ohms' output impedance, producing a 1V drop at 27mA. The negative supply currents we are anticipating on the 65SIB are quite low, being only for things like LCD bias, certain D/A converters, op amps, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:42 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
So if you already had 10V or 12V for example for something else

Only was considering 3.3V & 5V as a minimal system. Could always convert up from there with the right circuit. But considered the ATX PSU due to how relatively available, considering I got 2 good working ones on my bench as I type this.

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:51 pm 

Garth, what options exist if you want greater current drive on the +/- 12V rails? Would a series-pass bipolar transistor be sufficient to provide additional drive, and if so, how much can be expected? I'm just asking because, I'd think that a 100mA drive current would be better, as it'd allow for daisy-chaining multiple 12V-dependent peripherals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:48 pm 

There are 1U ATX power supplies with 0.8A of power max for the -12V rail.

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 pm 

Quote:
Garth, what options exist if you want greater current drive on the +/- 12V rails? Would a series-pass bipolar transistor be sufficient to provide additional drive, and if so, how much can be expected?

Without delving into it to see if I'm forgetting something, I think all the switched-capacitor voltage converters have four switching FETs; so a single transistor won't be enough. These are just a really easy solution for when you need a negative voltage or a higher voltage at not a lot of current or tight regulation. You can parallel a couple of these though, if you need just a little more current than you can get with a single one. It's still small, cheap, and easy.

I have in front of me a page from EDN magazine's "Design Ideas" section from 14 years ago for using a 7406 and a 20µH inductor, a diode, and a few common resistors and capacitors, all amounting to less than a dollar, to derive +12V from +5V, which I've gotten the parts out for to make a tiny module and try it. I'll try to remember to post here about it when I'm done. [Edit: It works, but the regulation is terrible.]

From there the next step would be switching regulators. For hobbyists, I would recommend ready-made ones like the PowerTrends integrated switching regulator modules. TI now owns PowerTrends. Actually there are lots of companies making this kind of thing, often with three connections: power in, ground, and power out. If they have more pins, there may be redundancy, and/or a pin to set the output voltage with resustors, and/or a shutdown pin, etc.. I can look through a fat file and list them here if you really need it.

There are loads (at least hundreds, maybe thousands) of switching power supply controller ICs on the market, many from Maxim, Linear Technology, and of course other companies; but I would not be very enthusiastic to recommend them for hobbyists. The reason is that the extremely high di/dt's and other things that go with the turf make PC board layout very critical. If you don't do it right (you won't on your first try!), you'll get a supply that's noisy, inefficient, and possibly unstable. They cannot be breadboared and expected to work well. I just did an SMT board layout for our company using one of these that only comes in a tiny package with leads on .020" centers. It worked very well, but it definitely would not have if I had tried it when I was still new to switching supplies. If you want to try one, get something with a lowish switching frequency. For commercial products, high switching frequencies are usually preferable, because they can get by with smaller inductors and capacitors; but they're not friendly to hobbyists. One I've designed into several products that's available in an 8-pin DIP is the MAX732 with 12V output. Input range is approximately 4.5V-9.5V. If you decide to try it, contact me and I'll tell you the tricks to making it behave well.

For another part of the same product, I designed a switching regulator for charging a lead-acid battery using a TIP125 transistor, an LM339 quad comparator, an inductor, and a bunch of cheap discretes; but the different set of requirements allowed using cheaper parts and save several dollars per unit.

Quote:
I'm just asking because, I'd think that a 100mA drive current would be better, as it'd allow for daisy-chaining multiple 12V-dependent peripherals.

I feel like I'm kind of beating around the bush; but there are quite a few ways to skin a cat, and here the best way might depend on what power source you have to start with and other factors. If you have something particular in mind, run it by me and I'll see if I can do you any good.

Quote:

That's only for plugging into the wall though, right? There would need to be some other provision if you need to be able to operate portably from a battery. Your application may not need it, but I like to try to leave possibilities open in order to avoid painting oneself into a corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

That's only for plugging into the wall though, right? There would need to be some other provision if you need to be able to operate portably from a battery. Your application may not need it, but I like to try to leave possibilities open in order to avoid painting oneself into a corner.

Yup its a wall plug device. So much to think about. You know Garth between this thread and reading the rest of this forum as much as I can, I think I learned more about computers and electronics then I knew before you gave me the link to here. I thank you very much for that.

So what kind of devices you are using with the -12V? Can they be done with smaller voltages?

I was thinking now that you mention portable applications, a 12V battery source (I do have Ni-CAD recharging IC's), with regulators to drop it down to 3.3V and 5V for the electronics, would give me a 12V line to convert to -12V as well.

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:26 am 

Quote:
So much to think about.

It's really too much to think about it all at once. If you try to do everything I've mentioned on your first model, you'll go crazy and you won't be successful. Instead, make something you can get going quickly, but can be added to later. This workbench computer initially took me a week to build, but it definitely did not have everything it does now. The extras got added over the years for various projects, although not particularly project-specific; IOW, as long as I was adding something, I tried to look ahead to other things I might want to use the new addition for in the future and make it as flexible as possible.

Quote:
So what kind of devices you are using with the -12V? Can they be done with smaller voltages?

The workbench computer you saw in my outdated project pages (which hopefully Mike will get the updates finished on tonight!) uses
  • the DAC0808 8-bit parallel D/A converter which is easy to use (just write the data to it-- no clocking or synchronizing concerns), has a very fast settling rate, and can also be used as a multiplying D/A (like to control gain). That needs a negative supply, although the exact voltage is not critical.
  • This D/A converter needs an op amp at the output, and that's fed with plus and minus power supplies, again with voltage not being critical.
  • The op amp buffer for the A/D converter uses uses the same supplies. (Actually it's in the same IC with the op amp for the D/A.)
  • The places to plug in anti-alias filters or other signal-conditioning modules for the A/D and D/A converters also have pins for these power supplies for op amps.
  • The MC145406's (same thing as the SN75C1406) each have three line drivers and three line receivers for RS-232, and they use the same plus and minus supplies. The MC145407 can derive its own negative and higher positive voltage, as does the more well-known MAX232, at the expense of having more pins and needing external capacitors and costing a little more.
I have some gorgeous supertwist LCDs that need a negative voltage for the backplane bias, but the onboard LCD on this particular computer doesn't need it.

To answer your second question above, none of these need a whole 12 volts on the negative supply. I think the minimum requirement on all of them is -5V. The computer is only taking about 15mA on the negative supply set at -10V, showing that you don't need much. In a pinch, if you don't leave it going for days on end like I do sometimes for some applications, you could almost just stick a 9V battery in there for the negative supply. IOW, don't get too stressed out about this negative supply issue.

The +12V is also not critical for most things, except when I connect my home-made PIC microcontroller programmer. Some PIC devices require 13V Vpp (programming voltage), within a quarter of a volt-- so it has to be pretty accurate. Other ones require 12.5V, IIRC. I use an adjustable bench power supply, and, before I start the programming, I use the part of the program that displays the voltage in the computer's LCD while I adjust it manually. If it gets out of spec after that, it will stop and warn rather than proceed with an effort to program. The Vcc (separate from Vpp) has to be adjustable for verifying that the programming was successful, by checking at the low and high ends of the power supply range for the particular PIC device. The D/A converter sets the programmer's regulator for the PIC's Vcc. Level translation on the PIC programmer lets the computer interface to it even if the PIC's Vcc is only 2V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:
So much to think about.

It's really too much to think about it all at once. If you try to do everything I've mentioned on your first model, you'll go crazy and you won't be successful. Instead, make something you can get going quickly, but can be added to later. This workbench computer initially took me a week to build, but it definitely did not have everything it does now. The extras got added over the years for various projects, although not particularly project-specific; IOW, as long as I was adding something, I tried to look ahead to other things I might want to use the new addition for in the future and make it as flexible as possible.

You have a point, but I'd like to get a circuit board made for this so I'd like to look ahead and have the layout done to neatly expand by soldering the required components. The JTAG/PDI will allow effortless reprogramming when required.

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:37 pm 

Garth: You may find this which I came across on my internet travels quite interesting.

As for the difficult to route: I guess either I laid out the board for my LED drivers well, or just got lucky, since they're 1MHz buck converters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 am 

So since all my notes are on loose leaf and I couldn't find some last night I got a hard cover notebook to copy my notes into.

Although not as complete as I'd like, I condensed the I/O down to what my purpose needs more or less (General purpose I/O work for machines/robotics).

• PS/2 Keyboard
  • 2x RS-232
  • Parallel Port
  • VGA Graphics Output
  • 2x RS-485
  • HPIB/IEEE-488
  • 65SIB
  • PCIAVR - Named after the computer name PCavr (like PCjr) for internal expansion.
  • 2x ADC & 2x DAC Lines

Additionally SD Card storage, FDD for removable media, and Ethernet.

I got to ask anyone using 65SIB yet?

Dimitri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:18 am 

Quote:
I got to ask anyone using 65SIB yet?

I think Daryl has a disc-drive controller on it. I'm in the process of making a graphic LCD unit on 65SIB, but progress has paused temporarily. [Edit, later: I never could get the LCD to respond to most of the instructions, and the manufacturer Displaytech is no help. However, I also put a 4Mx8 SPI flash memory on the same module, and I've used that successfully. Edit again, 2016: I got the LCD going. I had one bit wrong in one of the set-up instructions. Here's a few seconds of demo video done for experiment purposes, using a random number generator to produce sets of 25 random segments then displaying the screen memory: http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/Dis ... 8Ademo.mp4 ] Things in my work go in waves though, and there are periods of using the workbench computer almost none, and then periods of intensive use. The next time I have to develop something involving any of several serial protocols, it will be on 65SIB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 am 

I wrote above:
Quote:
I have in front of me a page from EDN magazine's "Design Ideas" section from 14 years ago for using a 7406 and a 20µH inductor, a diode, and a few common resistors and capacitors, all amounting to less than a dollar, to derive +12V from +5V, which I've gotten the parts out for to make a tiny module and try it. I'll try to remember to post here about it when I'm done.

Nothing to get excited about. Yeah, it was a cute idea, and it works, but it would only be for extremely non-critical applications. If EDN had built it before publishing it, well, they wouldn't have published it. Regulation is terrible (it wanders around in a range of about .7V), ripple is terrible (not from the main switching frequency of nearly 2MHz, but from switching the oscillator off and on at hardly over 20kHz), and efficiency at the rated 30mA is only 38%.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next