6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:06 pm 

Does anyone have any idea how to put a 65C816 on a 16-bit external bus?

I realize that it would still take two 8-bit writes, internally, to write-out 16 bits, so you're still at 1/2 the full clock speed (externally). But, does anyone know of a way to basically latch two 8-bit writes onto a 16-bit bus, and then "send" them, so that you would have, effectively, a 16-bit external bus at 1/2 the speed the '816 is running at internally?

Jonathan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:30 pm 

Hi, I'm on mobile so I can't draw a schematic of this, but thinking out loud:
- what would be the expected behavior if the CPU is in 8 bit mode (M=1)? I don't think it is realistic to have it always be 16 bits, things like hardware peripherals usually work best in 8 bits. Might need to split your memory map in a 16bit section and a 8bit section. You can then integrate this decoded address to the mechanism that triggers the cycle counter. You could potentially also integrate M for additional safety.
- the second byte can come straight from the data bus, but you'll need an 8bit register to memorize the n-1 byte - just wire the cpu clock to the register to always have the n-1 bit memorized
- you can use a single flip flop to detect even/odd cycles, it needs to be reset after each read
- then, when you're writing, M=0, the right address is presented and the cycle is odd, you can pass through the write pulse that you use for the rest of the circuit.
- of course checking M means that it won't work with M inverted. You're probably not interested to write there in 8 bit mode but if you wanted both another type of triggering would need to be implemented in that case

Not a circuit I've built, but I'm curious how you end up implementing it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:46 pm 

I had thought about this too.

You'd need to map this area twice, one address range for 8bit access and the second range for 16bit.

In the 16bit area a write to the even addresses would latch into a holding register. That would then be sent onto the 16bit bus along with the value written to the odd address afterwards.

Reads would work the same way. Read the even address latches the upper byte that can then be read on the odd address (even+1)

The reason for this order is thst the 65816 writes low byte first on 16 byte accesses that are of course split due to the 8bit data bus (at least I think I remember it in this order, pls verify).

This should even be relatively simple to implement.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:31 pm 

So, in theory, you could do the same for every n 8-bit words. I wish I could write more, more easily, but I’m on my phone, too.

So, in your model, what sort of latch would be required to do it?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:11 pm 

Note that a little more might be needed when using the MX output, since the data sheets says:
Quote:
2.20 Memory/Index Select Status (MX)

The Memory/Index Select Status multiplexed output reflects the state of the Accumulator (M) and Index (X) elect flags (bits 5 and 4 of the Processor Status (P) Register. Flag M is valid during PHI2 negative transition and Flag X is valid during PHI2 positive transition. These bits may be thought of as opcode extensions and may be used for memory and system management.
because you might have the accumulator set to 8-bit and the index registers set to 16-bit, or vice-versa. The '816 does not have a 16-bit mode; but in native mode, it lets you select the accumulator width and the index-register width independently. Next, your circuit would have to know whether it's the accumulator or an index register that's accessing the memory. Some operations' width will be 16-bit regardless, like PEA; so the circuit might have to decode the instruction as well. There are probably things I'm forgetting; but the more I think about it, the more complicated it gets.

Regardless of how the memory sees it, make sure the processor is not obligated to read and write 16-bit quantities starting only at even addresses. They will just as often start on odd addresses.

What is the purpose of the 16-bit memory width though? It won't gain you any speed, unless you've thought of something I haven't (which is quite possible). When you read, you'll have to read the whole 16 bits and latch the second byte for the processor to read in the next cycle after it reads the first byte, but when you write, you'll have to hold the first byte until the second byte is ready in the next cycle and then write the pair together. If you have access to a bunch of free 16-bit RAMs, it would be easier to just waste the high 8 bits. It will run just as fast.

Edit: Although Jmstein7 did not specify, other posts here make sense that it would be for 16-bit I/O ICs, not memory as I had assumed.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:48 pm 

i'm currently using a 65816 with 16-bit wide SRAM.

reading from a 16-bit bus is easy:

you do the bank address/data bus seperation like normal
but you reserve one of the address lines (A0) to select either the upper or lower 8 bits of the bus to be read. A0=0 -> Select lower 8 bits, A0=1, select upper 8-bits. (or the other way around, doesn't matter)
for the actual selection you just use an 8-bit Multiplexer or 2x 8-bit Tristate buffers with the outputs connected together to the CPU, and with A0 connected directly to the Enable line of one of them, and inverted A0 going to the other.

writing is more complex though, if you just want to hook up to some SRAM then it's also very easy as 16-bit wide SRAM chips almost always have Byte select lines so you can tell them to ignore either half of the data bus. allowing you to just put your 8-bit value onto both halfs of the bus and only allow the SRAM to take one of them depending on A0's current state.

but if you got some actual 16-bit devices, honestly just use a 65c22 and use both ports togther as a 16-bit wide buffered bus.

also, damn you people, stop giving me ideas for FPGA softcores! :lol:
just imagine it, a true 16-bit 65816 with a full 24-bit Address bus and 16-bit Data bus... what a project that would be!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:52 pm 

My approach I described would basically only work for 16bit IO. But for that it would allow writing 16bit values either with two 8bit opcodes or with a single 16bit opcode. MX would not be needed just proper programming.

Random access would be way more complicated if at all possible. As the device or memory does not know about 8bit accesses accessing 16bit values on odd addresses probably wouldn't make any sense. How would you write an 8bit value? You'd need to fetch the 16bit word, replace half of it, and store the word again. Way too complicated.

Opcode fetches could probably fetch a 16bit word and pick the one that is needed. Not sure if a buffer makes sense here as speed cannot be improved on CPU side anyway. And you would need branch/jump detection to invalidate the buffer. VDA/VPA could select the type of access.

(Sorry on the mobile but hope that clarifies it a bit)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:54 pm 

In another post I made suggestions for interfacing to a bus that hosts 16-bit devices only. And perhaps that's all you need, Jonathan. (If you also have 8-bit devices then they can "live" on the 8-bit side, upstream of the circuitry I've shown.)

I'm not convinced there's any need to monitor the MX output. I assume (but this might be wrong) that the 16-bit device(s) won't ever be required to perform an 8-bit access. So, simply placing a 16-bit device's address on the address bus is sufficient to say the access will be 16 bit.

-- Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Sat May 21, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:54 pm 

Proxy was writing in parallel ... nice info on the SRAM!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:58 pm 

Jeff, I'd put the buffers all on the low byte, because as far as I know 16bit access on the 65816 is low/hi, isn't it?
This way you could simply write a 16bit value from a register with a single opcode

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:17 pm 

fachat wrote:
as far as I know 16bit access on the 65816 is low/hi, isn't it?
Yes, but remember the goal is to accommodate the device's need to read or write 16 bits all at once.

For a read, the 16-bit transfer from the device happens on the first of the two '816 cycles. And for a write, the 16-bit transfer to the device happens on the second cycle. The details are in the post I linked.

Quote:
Read:
cycle 1: 16 bit read of IO device. Lobyte straight to 65xx bus; Hibyte to temp reg.
cycle 2: temp reg (the stored Hibyte) to 65xx bus.

Write:
cycle 1: 65xx bus (the Lobyte) to temp reg.
cycle 2: Temp reg to IO device. 65xx bus (the Hibyte) to IO device. 16 bit write to IO device.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:59 am 

Thanks Andre, Jeff, Garth, and everyone else! I'm glad I was able to raise an interesting topic/issue. Anyway, yeah - any 16-bit devices on the 16 bit side would only be making 16 bit reads and writes on the data lines.

I actually though about trying with a fast-clocked shift register, but it really made no sense.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:10 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
fachat wrote:
as far as I know 16bit access on the 65816 is low/hi, isn't it?
Yes, but remember the goal is to accommodate the device's need to read or write 16 bits all at once.

For a read, the 16-bit transfer from the device happens on the first of the two '816 cycles. And for a write, the 16-bit transfer to the device happens on the second cycle. The details are in the post I linked.

Meh stupid me. Quite obvious. Thanks for pointing out. That happens when you post on the mobile in between doing other stuff ...

André

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm 

fachat wrote:

...That happens when you post on the mobile in between doing other stuff ...

André

Lol, I hear that! And, yet, you still make plenty of sense!

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:11 pm 

GARTHWILSON on Sat 21 May 2022 wrote:
When you read, you'll have to read the whole 16 bits and latch the second byte for the processor to read in the next cycle after it reads the first byte, but when you write, you'll have to hold the first byte until the second byte is ready in the next cycle and then write the pair together.

This process scales to 32 bit using one 74x138 or 64 bit with two 74x138. The catch is that read-modify-write doesn't work as expected. 16 bit reads would be from addresses where A1=0 but writes would be to addresses where A1=1. Also, depending upon choice of peripheral, it may be necessary to AND (active low OR) /3 and /4 to obtain a general wide peripheral bus strobe.

Proxy on Sat 21 May 2022 wrote:
damn you people, stop giving me ideas for FPGA softcores! :lol:
just imagine it, a true 16-bit 65816 with a full 24-bit Address bus and 16-bit Data bus... what a project that would be!

If you make the data bus 16 bit, could you make the bank registers 16 bit and the address bus 32 bit?

Attachments:
wide-peripheral0-0-0.odg [5.97 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times
wide-peripheral0-0-1.png
wide-peripheral0-0-1.png [ 9.17 KiB | Viewed 676 times ]