6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wire wrap layout
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:58 pm 

Hi guys

This is a question which has been floating around in my mind for a while now.
What is the best kind of physical layout of ICs are best for wire wrap (or which ones are recommended)?

I previous (and first) project was side by side devices with the power rails down one side.
This time around I'm going to be putting in star ground and power planes.
This is what I've come up with (sorry for the crudity of diagram - MS Paint :)):
Attachment:
6502_ww_layout.png
6502_ww_layout.png [ 17.33 KiB | Viewed 1191 times ]

Per previous recommendations (cheers Garth), I'll be using a 6 pin wire wrap socket for the ground and power hub in the middle with an LM7805, etc. soldered to it. Also, each IC socket will be connected by no more than three wire wrap cables for things like buses and control lines etc.
And yes, I forgot to put the crystal in :P :mrgreen:. Oh and I've removed the control lines from the diagram to de-clutter things

Post subject: Re: Wire wrap layout
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm 

It looks good, although it would be good to also add power and ground wires from one IC to another, going around, kind of like a spider web. These do not fill the function of planes, ie, to make the signal lines to be transmission lines, and also to get rid of the inductance of the power and ground connections between ICs, but will somewhat help with the latter. Doing this, and keeping your wires short and straight, with a board that small and parts shoulder to shoulder, I think you'll be able to run as fast as the parts are capable of.

Attachment:
spiderweb2.gif
spiderweb2.gif [ 5.21 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:15 pm 

Don't forget to leave room for bypass capacitors at each device.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:19 pm 

Cool. Something like this:

Attachments:
6502_ww_layout2.png
6502_ww_layout2.png [ 23.19 KiB | Viewed 1177 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:23 pm 

Yes, except that unfortunately the Vcc and ground pins of most devices are at the corners and not next to each other. When you add the capacitors BDD is talking about, make the connections from each end of the capacitor to the IC as short as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:26 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Yes, except that unfortunately the Vcc and ground pins of most devices are at the corners and not next to each other. When you add the capacitors BDD is talking about, make the connections from each end of the capacitor to the IC as short as possible.

The lines are purely symbolic - basically I just wanted to get an idea of the best kind of layout. :).
With regard to the smooth caps I had already planned to pop in a 100nF ceramic for every 2-3 ICs, although I think I could get away with one every 5. I was also going to solder these between VDD and GND wire wrap pins underneath - unless this is a bad idea?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:43 pm 

There should be capacitors at the center of the star; but putting one more for every 2-3 ICs does not qualify for getting it as close as possible to the pins with the connections as short as possible. Remember that even a short, straight piece of wire has inductance--about 20nH per inch of WW wire, and it doesn't get much better for fatter wire--and a sudden change in current through that inductance generates a voltage, such that things are no longer referenced to a steady ground, but to ground pins whose voltages are jumping all over.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:29 am 

I totally agree. This is what I've done with my previous 6502. I also normally put a 100nF on the 5V side of the 7805 and a 330nF on the other side.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:52 am 

banedon wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:

The lines are purely symbolic - basically I just wanted to get an idea of the best kind of layout. :).
With regard to the smooth caps I had already planned to pop in a 100nF ceramic for every 2-3 ICs, although I think I could get away with one every 5. I was also going to solder these between VDD and GND wire wrap pins underneath - unless this is a bad idea?

I use AVX's SR275E104MAA for bypass caps, one per device.

Also, some fairly large (capacitance-wise) low ESR electrolytics should be spread around to help stabilize Vcc.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
banedon wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:

100nf caps are kind of small for bypassing purposes. I use 0.1µF at 50 volts for chip bypass caps on POC, one per chip. The particular part number I use is AVX's SR275E104MAA.

Also, some fairly large (capacitance-wise) low ESR electrolytics should be spread around to help stabilize Vcc.

Isn't 0.1uF actually 100nF?
With regard to larger caps; I put a 33uF tantalum cap in on my last project. I read that tants are faster reacting for their capacity which is why I used one.
Do you recommend concentrating on low ESR and possibly a different type? Also, my previous design was simple: 1x65C02, 1xEEPROM, 1xRAM, 1x65C22, Oscillator + small amount of glue logic. Does such a design require just the one or would you normally put in X amount per IC much like the smaller bypass ones?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:34 pm 

banedon wrote:
Isn't 0.1uF actually 100nF?

Yep! :oops: Late night message and not doing the math correctly! Also, I myself never refer to capacitor sizes in nanofarads. They are either farads, microfarads or picofarads in my little brain. In fact, when I started out in electronics, measurement in picofarads didn't exist. The measurement was MMFD for micromicrofarads.

Quote:
With regard to larger caps; I put a 33uF tantalum cap in on my last project. I read that tants are faster reacting for their capacity which is why I used one.

Tantalums are good—better, actually, than electrolytics of the same capacitance—but tend to be pricey compared to low ESR electrolytics. That said, I use tantalums for the charge pump capacitors used with the MAX232-248 transceiver series, as their size and low leakage are attractive in that application.

Quote:
Do you recommend concentrating on low ESR and possibly a different type?

Low ESR electrolytics are superior to standard ones, and are the better choice in digital design. However, you should note that their high frequency bypassing characteristics are not as good as ceramic, micas, etc. The main purpose of using electrolytics at various points is to "stiffen" Vcc. You should also have a bypass capacitor at each chip, with the shortest leads practical. If using a 7805 (or similar) regulator to power your unit place a 1000 µF electrolytic on the output side as close to the regulator as possible and also bypass the electrolytic with a 0.1 µF ceramic. This will give you the cleanest and most stable voltage.

Quote:
Also, my previous design was simple: 1x65C02, 1xEEPROM, 1xRAM, 1x65C22, Oscillator + small amount of glue logic. Does such a design require just the one or would you normally put in X amount per IC much like the smaller bypass ones?

It would depend on the physical layout and construction method. If you are doing it in wirewrap and using a star topography for Vcc and Gnd distribution, consider putting an electrolytic at the far end of each power distribution leg. Also, try to use heavier gauge wire for power distribution instead of the use 30 AWG wirewrap size. Your goals are to minimize ground bounce and Vcc fluctuations.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:58 pm 

Fantastic - many thanks for the advice, BigD.

I've not heard of putting a 1000uF cap on the output of an LM7805. Do you mean like this?
Attachment:
LM7805CV.png
LM7805CV.png [ 11.17 KiB | Viewed 1125 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:08 pm 

banedon wrote:
Fantastic - many thanks for the advice, BigD.

I've not heard of putting a 1000uF cap on the output of an LM7805. Do you mean like this?
Attachment:
LM7805CV.png

Exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:52 pm 

When you need good high-frequency performance in a biggish capacitor, OS-CON (organic semiconductor) capacitors are quite a bit better than even tantalum. They're best for switching regulators, charge pumps, etc.. They're made by about three companies, the primary one possibly being Panasonic. Regardless of the larger capacitors you put from Vcc to ground, do also put a .1 or .01uF at each IC, with the connections between the capacitor body and the IC's leadframe being as short and straight as possible. Again, inductance is the enemy, and surprisingly, wire size doesn't affect that very much. There's an online wire inductance calculator at http://www.eeweb.com/toolbox/wire-inductance/. 4" of 30-gauge wire has 135nH inductance; but note that going to a larger wire has negligible effect on that, as the same length of 24-gauge wire (doubling the diameter) has 121nH, only a 10% reduction even though the wire's cross section was multiplied by four. The better thing is to reduce the length, or add wires in parallel (which circuitwise is one of several things you're doing by adding more power and ground wires, a pair from the center for each IC and then completing the spider web.) Of course real power and ground planes are best (and with a PCB), but I know that may not always be an option.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:07 pm 

@BigDD
Out of interest,what do you class as low ESR?
I ask as they seem fairly expensive so I don't want to get this wrong lol
This one has 0.012 ohms but is £2.22+VAT (£2.66) each, but are Panasonic so probably worth it.
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-electro ... 0000005424

@Garth
I plan to solder the 0.1uF decoupling capacitors on to the wirewrap pins on th underside of the board. Is this how you would do this? Oh, and I assume that you also solder the wires for VDD and GND for each IC as, being thicker wire, cannot be wire wrapped?