6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:24 am 

This should be very handy for beginners, perhaps especially those following Ben Eater's video series, but any breadboard design really.

https://www.tejotron.com/

It's an in-browser breadboard simulator with 6502 and related components, and an assembler/IDE too. (You'll need a relatively up to date browser.)

Video here:

via Norbert on the retrocomputing forum

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:36 am 

Amazing!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:15 pm 

Neato. This misses the whole point of the hands-on-a-real-6502 project (already tainted by lifting Garth's primer and self-promoting goals, not to mention awful engineering techniques).

Next step: an app with one button.. When clicked, it simulates you building a 6502 system, debugging it, learning assembly language, writing some half-assed code, asking for help, reading a few books, becoming a better coder, and getting bored of it. One click-- save yourself the trouble.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 pm 

Hmm. If you don't like something, skip the thread. This site is about enthusiasm. Negativity isn't helpful.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:12 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Hmm. If you don't like something, skip the thread. This site is about enthusiasm. Negativity isn't helpful.

I agree about the enthusiasm, but like Enso, fail to see the value of a virtual breadboard. The value of learning from your mistakes isn't there if you aren't working with physical hardware—there are no real consequences of making a bad design or wiring error.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 pm 

Er, guys, this is not mutually exclusive.

I think only a few people would ONLY do it all on a simulator.

I for one am interested to try different things out virtually, before shortlisting which to actually try implementing physically.

This is especially important for newcomers.

Of course, there is a difference between good and bad emulators/simulators, which might add to newcomer confusion (the same way that poor quality / counterfeit components make troubleshooting more difficult), but that is a separate discussion.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
there are no real consequences of making a bad design or wiring error.

Other than your design not working the way you wanted it to

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:27 am 

I've looked at this project... it's an interesting attempt at making a web-based version of a Ben Eater video. I'm sure it took a fair amount of time, and I agree it's a neat project. So I'd give the author a solid "attaboy" award. On the other side, it's not going to teach anyone about proper circuit design. I would be more inclined to compare it to the old "Pinball Construction Set"... which was fun for a short period of time.... but you would never be able to learn how to build a real Pinball machine from it.

I'm not saying it's a horrible thing.... it could make a neat toy for a short period of time... and hopefully entice someone to actually build something. However, don't be fooled that you can take what was done using this project and build something that would actually work. The available parts are a bare minimum, i.e., no resistors to limit current in LEDs, no capacitors for proper bypassing, etc., nor any guidance on physical layout to minimize problems. Outside of building what's already there, you're not going to do much else, but it is a cool project.

There are multiple threads out here where folks spend a lot of time helping a newbie sort out problems with their so-called design. Unfortunately, as we all have good intentions, I don't see the forum members (collectively) being to teach someone how to do digital circuit design, engineering and building of basic 65(C)02 or other types of systems. We can all link our own projects and describe what we did, how we did and why we did on design concepts, circuitry, parts selection, layout, etc., but that doesn't necessarily apply to building something completely different. On the positive side, the members here go to great lengths to help everyone who posts here, which is the real charm of posting here.

Perhaps a new category on building a first, simple system... but that could easily be another "pandora's box"! So coming full circle, while this is a cool project, don't confuse it as a proper learning aid.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 am 

Agumander wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
there are no real consequences of making a bad design or wiring error.

Other than your design not working the way you wanted it to

True that, but simulations usually don't blow parts and smoke up the room when there's abject failure. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:30 am 

floobydust wrote:
I've looked at this project...I would be more inclined to compare it to the old "Pinball Construction Set"... which was fun for a short period of time.... but you would never be able to learn how to build a real Pinball machine from it.

I've never been much of a video game player, but back in the days (late 1970s to early 1980s) when coin-operated, video arcade games were ubiquitous, I would periodically play one. One that I played several times was a drag racing "action" game which put the player in the seat of a race car powered by a small-block Chevy with stick shift. Now, up until 1990 or thereabouts, I was into real-life drag racing (see below), and charging down the quarter mile with a Chevy V-8 screaming at 9000 RPM was almost second-nature to me.

My takeaway on the video game version of drag racing was just what you describe of this breadboard simulation: fun for a few goes, but then...what? There was no punch in the back as you leave the starting line, no wheelie as you hit second gear (my car would also lift the front wheels going into 3rd), no torque steer to counteract, no heart-in-the-mouth feeling from the car getting sideways, etc. Succinctly, you'd never learn how to drive a race car by spending time playing a video game that is a simulation of driving a race car. In particular, the potential consequences of goofing up can't be simulated, and it is experiencing the consequences that enhances the learning experience.

So it is with this sort of simulation. If it piques someone's interest into building and programming actual hardware, then great! Beyond that, I'm just not seeing much learning value in it.

Quote:
There are multiple threads out here where folks spend a lot of time helping a newbie sort out problems with their so-called design. Unfortunately, as we all have good intentions, I don't see the forum members (collectively) being to teach someone how to do digital circuit design, engineering and building of basic 65(C)02 or other types of systems.

The unfortunate reality is digital design, engineering and building is vast and complex subject that is difficult and time-consuming to master. 6502.org is geared more to those who already know enough electronics to build at least a basic machine that can blink lights or maybe scribble on a screen. As a learning source for someone is a total novice, 6502.org is not going to be much help. Even Garth's 6502 primer, as good as it is, can't explain everything about electronics. His web server wouldn't have the disk capacity to hold that much information.

Where 6502.org is useful to the newbie is in filling in knowledge gaps. When I signed up here 12 years ago I had already had a long career in electronics and computers, including patents for two digital circuit designs. Plus I had written several major vertical packages for clients, one of them that was 100 percent 6502 assembly language (with one line of BASIC: SYS 2061) Yet there was still plenty for me to learn before I could build POC V1.0 and have it working. Most of the gaps in my knowledge got closed right here.

Quote:
We can all link our own projects and describe what we did, how we did and why we did on design concepts, circuitry, parts selection, layout, etc., but that doesn't necessarily apply to building something completely different. On the positive side, the members here go to great lengths to help everyone who posts here, which is the real charm of posting here.

Oftentimes, one can solve one's own design problems not by seeing how someone else solved the same problem (indeed, no one may have done so at the time), but by seeing the steps that were taken to solve a similar problem. That is the primary value in the build topics that are here. My machine isn't the same as yours, or Garth's or Drogon's, etc., but our machines all share the same fundamentals, and have the same potential for design and construction problems. Seeing how our machines came together can inform someone else of what could lie ahead as they come up with their design.

Quote:
Perhaps a new category on building a first, simple system... but that could easily be another "pandora's box"! So coming full circle, while this is a cool project, don't confuse it as a proper learning aid.

We have the Newbies subforum, and there is Garth's 6502 primer, which essentially takes you from Accumulator to Zero page. Although it may be impudent of me to say it, if you can't build a working basic unit after reading Garth's primer from "cover-to-cover" then perhaps you shouldn't consider homebrew computers for a hobby.

Attachment:
racecar01.jpg
racecar01.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 12440 times ]

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 am 

Quote:
Even Garth's 6502 primer, as good as it is, can't explain everything about electronics.
Right; the first page (which I know I need to revise) gives some basic prerequisites, near the bottom.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 am 

Hmm, both of you, enso and BDD, have posted your projects in your own threads. And both of you, I'm sure, would rather have got feedback and contributions from people who saw the value in those projects, according to what you'd set out to do.

We all have bad days. It's better not to take it out on someone else's project idea. (By all means make constructive criticism on the details of a project. But to attack its foundations is, I think, to be indulging in poor behaviour.)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:49 am 

BigEd wrote:
Hmm, both of you, enso and BDD, have posted your projects in your own threads. And both of you, I'm sure, would rather have got feedback and contributions from people who saw the value in those projects, according to what you'd set out to do.

Yep! And I'd bet we would have gotten feedback if someone had not seen any value in the project. That's how it is on the Internet. Everyone has an opinion. Some get paid to express it and others do so gratis. :D

Perhaps if the individual who posted the virtual breadboard had done some original work instead of stealing from Garth's website I'd be a little more forgiving. I really have no use for plagiarists.

Quote:
(By all means make constructive criticism on the details of a project. But to attack its foundations is, I think, to be indulging in poor behaviour.)

If the foundations are themselves weak then pointing that out is constructive. Otherwise, it's just another case of the emperor having no clothes but everyone is too timid to mention it because someone thinks doing so is bad form.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:15 am 

For me it's just a matter of courtesy. If you see a forum as an endless stream of posts from who-knows-who and feel free to wade in with your opinions, that's one thing. If you see it as a collection of threads started by real people with real projects who have put some effort and energy into making something, and have felt positive enough to share it with others, that's another thing.

(And if you post unhelpful comments and put a smiley on the end, you've still posting unhelpful comments.)

It's true enough that some online forums are so overgrown with weeds - with sniping and rubbishing and argumentation - that there's little point engaging with an aim to improve them.

But here we tend to have quite a good community, with occasional lapses of self-indulgence. I don't point them out for sport: I point them out in the hope that I'll trigger some reflection, and that we'll see just a little less of the bad stuff for a while.

It is also true that some people are thick-skinned and some people are more sensitive. I'm more interested in seeing excellent projects and findings here than in filtering down the audience to the lowest common denominator. Being welcoming, being kind, staying relevant, posting constructive criticism: these seem like good ideals to aim for.

And yes, in the long run, if we have one or two people who just don't get it, we have to put up with them. But I feel it very important that a bad example doesn't set the tone: I will continue to point out behaviour which irks me, even though I'd rather not, and even though we'd all prefer to be talking about 6502 related matters, rather than forum decorum.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 pm 

If my negative comments can convince one newbie to spend $30 and actually breadboard a 6502 system, I will die a happier man.

Sure, it won't work the first time, and they will learn about decoupling caps, current-limiting resistors and the flakiness of breadboards, and the lying social media experts who make it look easy. That's the whole point. Copying and pasting some code from one web page to another does not constitute learning (well, they will be a little better at copy/paste), and anyone who completes this exercise is likely to flood the forums with their half-ass ideas thinking they are now an expert.

On these forums, people sometimes post 'I found this $50 USB oscilloscope' - and the reply is a unanimous 'Don't do it, it is a stupid toy'. Is that negative? Spirit-crushing? Or does is save some poor soul $50 and the world from the pollution of packing, shipping, and tossing the useless junk into a garbage bin?

I am all for kindness, but it is kind to tell a tone-deaf friend not to pursue a career in music, a hopelessly math-averse teen to avoid a career in engineering, etc. It is always kind to steer people away from idiocy and self-deception, even if they hate you for it. Do we need more 6502 'experts' who don't know what a register is or tell the difference between a capacitor and their knuckle? Should we be excited about the 'enthusiasm' of some wannabe 'influencer' who heard some misquote on Hackaday and wants to pathetically impress their 'audience' by name-dropping Ben Muncher in their 1-hour long how-to-configure the 6502 breadboard simulator video (subscribe now)?

I stand by my comment. I did not have a bad day (this time...). This is a stupid, wasteful toy that is likely to mislead their audience into thinking they learned something. I wish the programming skill of the creator was applied to a more constructive task, rather than pushing people away from physically constructing their own 6502 systems.

P.S. It feels AMAZING to build your own system. I can't think of too many things that bring that kind of joy and euphoria!