6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6829 MMU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 pm 

Anyone else ever used a 6829 MMU (meant for the 6809) with a 6502? I've just built a new board, and a preliminary test (LEDs flashing from a 6522) seems to be working :)

Code:
Broken external image link
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3286/p1010001ix.th.jpg

(The 6829 is the one between the EPROM and the CPU- it only says 6829 on the bottom for some reason.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am 

If I can see it working, I might believe you. Post a vid, otherwise: BULLOCKS! You have a datasheet on that 6829?

Edit:Sorry mate, I was in abit of a fit, not over your post though. I was in an all around bad mood.

Last edited by ElEctric_EyE on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:06 am 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
If I can see it working, I might believe you. Post a vid, otherwise: BULLOCKS! You have a datasheet on that 6829?

What exactly is the point of that comment?

Do you have some reason to believe it can't work?

If he did post a video of a board with some LEDs flashing
what would that prove?

As to the datasheet, try Google

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:22 am 

The 6829 is real.
Datasheet
Also mentioned here.

As bogax said, flashing LEDs (one 3-pin LED with a red and a green part actually) wouldn't prove much.

Edit: I can, however, provide a schematic. Some pin numbers may differ. The actual board, as you can see, isn't finished yet- I wanted to make sure first that the SC67476 chips are actually what the eBay seller said they are. (SC means special/custom.)

Code:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/617/schematic.th.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 am 

DaveK wrote:
The 6829 is real.
Datasheet
Also mentioned here.

As bogax said, flashing LEDs (one 3-pin LED with a red and a green part actually) wouldn't prove much.

Nobody said it wasn't real. I recall the 6829 from about 25 years ago, back when a 2 MHz eight bit part was a screamer.

Be that as it may, why bother with such an ancient and constricted piece of silicon? Aside from the difficulty of trying to find parts, the thing is dog-slow by today's (even yesterday's) standards and would require some fiddling to correctly interface it with a 65C02. You have to synthesize the Q clock signal, since there's no analog for it in the the 'C02 (or the MC6800—the 6829 was designed for use with the 6809). Adding insult to injury, the 6829 is an HMOS part, power-hungry and, as I said, dog-slow. Plus it's limited to four protected tasks. Why bother?

With a little more work, you can achieve much better functionality with a PLD and a little aptness of thought. When you were done, you'd have an MMU with low nanosecond prop time and no funky clock requirements. You can then run your 65C02 as fast as you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 am 

DaveK wrote:
Edit: I can, however, provide a schematic. Some pin numbers may differ. The actual board, as you can see, isn't finished yet- I wanted to make sure first that the SC67476 chips are actually what the eBay seller said they are. (SC means special/custom.)

The schematic is practically unreadable. Why does everyone have to use color? Old guys like me with partial color-blindness are left in the cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:55 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
DaveK wrote:

The schematic is practically unreadable. Why does everyone have to use color? Old guys like me with partial color-blindness are left in the cold.

Looks like a great project to me!

For a monochrome picture, see
Code:
Broken external image link]
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9174/schematic2b.th.png

It is big, so you'll have to find a way to view it full size. Any down-scaling is likely to have trouble with the single-pixel widths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm 

BigEd wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
DaveK wrote:

Looks like a great project to me!

For a monochrome picture, see
Code:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9174/schematic2b.th.png

It is big, so you'll have to find a way to view it full size. Any down-scaling is likely to have trouble with the single-pixel widths.

Thanks for the mono version. :) I imported the drawing into DeltaCad, which makes displaying and printing it fairly easy.

Post subject: Re: 6829 MMU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:30 pm 

DaveK wrote:
Anyone else ever used a 6829 MMU (meant for the 6809) with a 6502? I've just built a new board, and a preliminary test (LEDs flashing from a 6522) seems to be working :)

Nice thing! basically an extension of my 74LS610 based MMU approach (4 -> 8 address bits, plus some special purpose bits like write protect and no-execute) -> http://www.6502.org/users/andre/csa/

I like the "task" approach. would help a lot for my multitasking operating system, but IIRC I'd need 8 tasks (which the 6829 obviously can do with stacking multiple MMUs) for the current setup.

Great work!
André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:09 pm 

Quote:
Edit: I can, however, provide a schematic.

I see you are using Cadsoft's Eagle to create the schematics, right?

I know there's a lot of personal taste in it, but you can use busses to reduce the number of single traces on the schematics, and I haven't seen a named signal yet.

Email me if you have some questions I've done a lot with Eagle already (see http://www.6502.org/users/andre/csa/ )

André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 pm 

Quote:
you can use busses to reduce the number of single traces on the schematics

+1.  Reduces the size, and improves the readability.

I never draw out a whole computer schematic anymore though.  Instead, I have smaller schematics of individual portions—address decode, reset circuit, interface sections, clock generation, etc..  For a product we brought to market in 1993 with a 6502 controlling it and sold for 15 years, I basically only had a list of what I needed connected to various lines, not even assigning exact lines until I found out what would make the easiest layout.  I even mixed up the RAM's and EPROM's address lines and likewise the data lines (which required a programming adapter socket for the EPROM), making the routing easier.  (As long as data lines go to data pins, it doesn't matter which.  Same with address lines and pins.  I don't recommend mixing up a VIA's data lines though!)  I did not draw any schematic for it at all until after the board was laid out, the then I drew a full schematic.  That was the last full computer schematic I ever drew.  My workbench computer just has a 3x5" loose-leaf ring binder with 40 pages so far for this computer and another 40 pages for various related projects.  I use it frequently for quick-reference.  It fits in a pocket instead of taking a lot of workbench space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 am 

I only started using Eagle fairly recently, because I wanted proper PCBs made for a couple of ROM cartridges. Before that my schematics would be scribbled on paper, or worked out in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 am 

This is getting off-topic, but hopefully it will be interesting anyway.

Quote:
I only started using Eagle fairly recently, because I wanted proper PCBs made for a couple of ROM cartridges. Before that my schematics would be scribbled on paper, or worked out in my head.

Don't be afraid of looking unprofessional.  I've known people who looked professional to the max and still took many iterations to get a board design right, which became very expensive for their employers.  Their board designs weren't even very dense.  If you know what you're doing and get the right results, that buys you better credentials than a pro look does.

There really isn't any connection between doing your schematics in CAD and having a "proper PCB."  Even author and lecturer Bob Pease, one of the electronics industry's greatest analog designers, publishes his circuits hand-sketched in professional magazines.  For example:

Code:
http://archive.electronicdesign.com/files/29/4915/figure_01.gif

Almost no one else gets to do that, but he has earned the "right."  One of my many favorites was his 1993 article, "What's all this fuzzy-logic stuff, anyhow?"  (Unfortunately Part I doesn't seem to be on the web) where he tells about the fuzzy-logic gurus proudly showing off a way to do a particular control job supposedly cheaper and better using fuzzy logic on a '486 SBC (back when a '486 was quite expensive) and he went back to the lab and built up a circuit that did the same thing using a twenty-three cent quad op amp and some passives instead.  The first article I kept was his "What's all this spicy stuff, anyhow?" where he rakes the PSpice simulator fans over the coals for being so professional with their advanced software that they use it as a substitute for thinking and believe it when it gives impossible results.  Then there was the one showing the ridiculous things the Japanese "expert" Taguchi was preaching, like optimizing a linear power-supply regulator to the point that its output voltage was greater than the input voltage, with no reactive components!

Although I use CAD to lay out boards, I still do my schematics by hand,as I have not seen a single schematic CAD that works the way I want it to.  (I got very proficient at OrCAD at my last place of work but hated it, and with intensive use, managed to find a list of bugs many pages long.  The PCB part of OrCAD was even worse.)  I also have more freedom to lay things out in the way that gets the best density and easiest routing on the board if the CAD does not start with pre-conceived notions of what sections of op amps, quad NANDs, hex inverters, etc. to use for any given portion.  I have done boards with up to 500 parts and an average density of over 40 parts per square inch in thru-hole (by putting resistors and diodes staggered in five rows underneath 14-pin ICs), and, in most cases, they worked right the first time.  I never spent the time doing a final, neat schematic until it was all working.  Such a schematic was usually drawn up after the unit was in production.  Before that, it was sketched on a big quadrille pad, and not very neatly.

The advent of the newer Gerber standard 274X was nice though, as it left less room for human error in the PCB manufacturing process than the older 274D did, and my "readme.txt" instruction files are now rather brief to get a complex multi-layer board made right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm 

can anyone reverse the 6829 to a VHDL version for any of us dreamer types for future designs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:51 am 

I'm actually finding it far more worth my time to think in terms of starting out with a PCB layout, and then creating a schematic, if needed, from that. The problem with starting with a schematic first is that your pin numbers almost never line up the way you need them to. For example, as long as you're consistent about it, D0 on the CPU needn't map to D0 on a RAM chip. Likewise with a ROM chip. Of course, when programming the ROM, you need to fudge the binary image accordingly. But, if you can do that, you may find a drastic reduction in the number of vias needed to hook everything up in an otherwise "sane" design, and might even reduce the need for multiple layers all-together (which results in enormous savings).