6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:01 pm 

Surely I'm not the only one to write an indirect threaded code (ITC) implementation of Forth on this forum, or am I?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:03 pm 

Blazin' Forth handles the transition from cold start to high level Forth by storing the address of the Forth thread in IP and jumping to the body of a primitive which would have been in the Forth thread.
If I didn't have >FORTH in Fleet Forth, I would push the address of the Forth thread onto the return stack and jump to the body of EXIT .
Here are three examples showing these techniques.
Using >FORTH to transition to high level Forth thread.
Code:
   WARM  SPLIT SWAP
      # LDA  $300 STA     \ store address of warm-start routine
      # LDA  $301 STA     \ at $300
   (WARM) JSR
   >FORTH
   EMPTY 0 DRIVE CONFIGURE
   12 SPACES
   [ HERE 18 + >A ]
   ." C64 FLEET FORTH  COPYRIGHT (C) 1995-2022 BY JAMES BOYD "
   [ HERE 1- >A ]
   INITIAL QUIT -;        \ don't compile EXIT
   $D A> C!  $D0D A> !    \ replace some blanks in startup message string with CR.

Pushing the address of the Forth thread onto the return stack and jumping to the body of EXIT .
Code:
   LABEL COLD.THREAD
 ] EMPTY 0 DRIVE CONFIGURE
   12 SPACES
   [ HERE 18 + >A ]
   [ HERE 1- >A ]
   INITIAL QUIT  [

WARM  SPLIT SWAP
   (WARM) JSR
   COLD.THREAD SPLIT      \ push address of Forth thread
   # LDA  PHA             \ onto return stack
   # LDA  PHA
   ' EXIT @ JMP
   END-CODE

Storing the address of the Forth thread in IP and jumping to the body of 0
Code:
   LABEL COLD.THREAD
 ] EMPTY DRIVE CONFIGURE  \ zero will already be on data stack
   12 SPACES
   [ HERE 18 + >A ]
   [ HERE 1- >A ]
   INITIAL QUIT  [

WARM  SPLIT SWAP
   (WARM) JSR
   COLD.THREAD SPLIT
   # LDA  IP 1+ STA
   # LDA  IP STA
   ' 0 @ JMP              \ 0 is not a constant in Fleet Forth.
   END-CODE               \ CFA of 0 points to code which
                          \ places a zero on the data stack.

In the first example the compiler security provided by colon and semicolon (or dash semicolon) is available. In the other two examples, it is not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:59 pm 

JimBoyd wrote:
Surely I'm not the only one to write an indirect threaded code (ITC) implementation of Forth on this forum, or am I?

I got into Forth on the HP-71 hand-held computer in about 1990, then on the 6502 the next year, starting with a metacompiler my employer bought which compiled basically Forth-83.  The metacompiler had lots of deficiencies and bugs, so I modified and extended it heavily.  I would like to publish my work on that one as an assembly-language source code, but I would still need to remove some material the metacompiler supplier might be able to claim a copyright on, meaning there would definitely be some work to do on it.  It's not a high priority.

Some years after I was heavily into that, I started writing my 65816 Forth from scratch.  It has been operational for 25 years, but only one person has used it much, and that was a technician in the Pratt & Whitney turbine-engine plant in Canada.  He used it on the Mensch computer of the 1990's with a 65265 microcontroller.  I've hardly used this Forth myself, for a couple of reasons.  I let it collect dust for a couple of years at a time, then spend a little time further developing it until another big work project comes along, and then it goes back into mothballs for a couple more years or more.  It runs two to three times the speed of my '02 Forth at a given clock rate.  My only operation of it has been on my workbench computer than has a 65802 on it, meaning it only has access to bank 0, the first 64KB.  I've written words for long accesses, but have not had any hardware to prove them on.  At the moment, I am very slowly working on a PCB for a new workbench computer with far more of everything—a real 65816, 768 times as much RAM, hopefully 20MHz (or more if I can get it) (which would mean 40-60 times the Forth execution speed of a C64), more I/O of every kind, etc.—and then I can finish up the '816 Forth and publish it.  It is intended for all code to run in bank 0 (which I find is plenty), and the rest of memory is for data, all contiguous, so for example you could have a multi-megabyte array with no interruptions for I/O or anything else.

Both my '02 and '816 Forths are ITC.  The '816 Forth has hundreds of primitives (ie, words defined in assembly language), far more than the '02 Forth has.  Since the '02 doesn't handle 16-bit quantities nearly as efficiently as the '816 does, many of words were just too impractical to have as primitives (ie, defined in assembly language) on the '02.  They just take too many instructions, too much memory.  The '816 OTOH makes it practical to have far more as primitives.  Besides the obvious advantages of more compact code and faster execution, there were many cases on the '816 where it was actually easier to write words as primitives than as secondaries.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:00 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I would like to publish my work on that one as an assembly-language source code, but I would still need to remove some material the metacompiler supplier might be able to claim a copyright on, meaning there would definitely be some work to do on it. It's not a high priority.

GARTHWILSON wrote:

Both my '02 and '816 Forths are ITC.

I'm not asking you to show any code. I am curious, when your computer goes from the reset/cold start routine to Forth's QUIT loop (or high level Forth which leads to the QUIT loop), is it by one of the three methods I presented or something else?

Would any other implementer of an ITC Forth like to mention which method is used to transition from the reset/cold start routine to high level Forth?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:37 am 

The reset routine includes loading NEXT into ZP so I can use self-modifying code to eliminate some indirection and make NEXT faster, and putting the PFA of COLD into IP and then jumping to NEXT. COLD sets up some things in Forth, then ends with ABORT, and ABORT ends with QUIT.

I don't have anything called WARM, but I have COLD ask in the LCD, "New/Old/Init Ap?" corresponding to three keys. "New" does the usual thing, re-initializing everything including the dictionary pointer. "Old" leaves the dictionary pointer alone but does all the same stuff about initializing interrupt vectors, alarms, key-repeat speed, the delay before key-repeat starts, and other such things. "Init-Ap" does like "Old" but then also calls the word whose CFA is stored in the INIT-AP variable. These allow a very fast recovery from a crash, since most crashes don't go writing garbage all over memory but are instead the result of some loop exit condition never being met, and I usually realize right away what I did and can fix it immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 am 

I hadn't thought of jumping to NEXT . Scott Ballantyne's Blazin' Forth puts the PFA of the high level part of its cold start routine in IP then jumps to RP!
My Fleet Forth clears the return stack in the low level portion of COLD before calling a few Commodore 64 kernal routines before using >FORTH to transition to high level. The high level portion ends with QUIT . The data stack and auxiliary stack are cleared by a subroutine called by the low level portion of COLD .
Fleet Forth does not have a word called WARM . It is a label used by the metacompiler.
Since Fleet Forth is for the C64, it is loaded from disk. It has one line of BASIC, a BASIC fuse to launch the cold start routine.
Code:
10 SYS XXXX

XXXX is the address of the cold start routine. The address of the warm start routine is stored at address $300 so it will run whenever the RUN/STOP and RESTORE keys are pressed at the same time. This is handy if I accidentally start an infinite loop, for example. The warm start routine leaves the dictionary and block buffers (and their tables) alone. It acts like an ABORT after initializing a few things such as setting base to DECIMAL , turning off multitasking, and storing the indirect jump opcode $6C at W-1.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:58 am 

Here is a breakdown of Fleet Forth's FORGET . For the sake of clarity, every double slash (used by Fleet Forth for an end of line comment) was converted to a backslash.
Code:
: FORGET  ( -- )
   NAME  CURRENT @ DUP CONTEXT !
   VFIND ?HUH  >LINK

NAME parses the text stream for a blank delimited string and manages the case since Fleet Forth is case insensitive. The string is stored as a counted string at HERE .
The CONTEXT VOCABULARY is set equal to the CURRENT VOCABULARY and VFIND is used to perform the search. VFIND is a primitive without a body with a code field which points one byte into the body of (FIND) . Unlike (FIND) , VFIND will NOT search parent vocabularies. ?HUH aborts with the message "WHAT?" if the name was not found. >LINK takes the CFA of the word and returns the LFA , the link field address, which is the word's first field.
Code:
   LABEL (FORGET)
   SINGLE
   DUP>R FENCE @
   LIT
   LABEL KERNEL-FENCE
   [ 0 , ]  \ WILL BE PATCHED
   UMAX U<
   ABORT" PROTECTED"

The word EMPTY branches to the address at the LABEL (FORGET) . SINGLE switches off multitasking by setting the deferred word PAUSE to the no-op NOOP . A copy of the address is saved to the return stack and tested against FENCE and FORGET's internal fence. If it is less than either, FORGET aborts with the message "PROTECTED".
Code:
   VOC-LINK R@ TRIM
   VOC-LINK @
   BEGIN
      DUP 2- 2- R@ TRIM
      @ ?DUP 0=
   UNTIL

A Fleet Forth VOCABULARY has three cells in its parameter field. The first cell points to the link field of the latest word defined in this VOCABULARY, the second cell points to the parent of this VOCABULARY , and the third cell is part of the VOC-LINK chain of all vocabularies.
The VOC-LINK chain is trimmed to remove all vocabularies which are defined after the forget point, then each of the remaining vocabularies are trimmed to remove all words which are defined after the forget point.
Code:
   R> DUP DP ! [ 'THERE ] LITERAL @
   UMIN [ 'THERE ] LITERAL !

The dictionary pointer DP is set to the forget point and the empty point is set to the lesser of the previous empty point and the forget point.
Code:
\ RESET ANY SYSTEM DEFERRED WORD
\ WITH CFA ABOVE HERE
   HERE [ END.FORGET ] LITERAL
\ BRANCH INTO IORESET
   BRANCH [ (IORESET) , ] -;

Each deferred word in the kernel has its PFA and default vector stored in a table of deferred words. This last section of FORGET pushes HERE and the ending address of the table onto the data stack and branches to IORESET . Any deferred word with a vector defined after the new HERE will be reset to its default vector.
This is the last line of source for Fleet Forth's kernel. It patches FORGET's internal fence, protecting all kernel words.
Code:
HERE KERNEL-FENCE !

To be clear, the last thing the metacompiler does is execute FINISH-FORTH , but that's in block #1.
Fleet Forth's FORGET does exactly what I want and it works great; however, if I've forgotten anything or if anyone has a suggestion for an improvement, please let me know.
Code:
SEE FORGET
FORGET
 10666  7700 NAME
 10668  2603 CURRENT
 10670  3549 @
 10672  5002 DUP
 10674  2589 CONTEXT
 10676  3587 !
 10678  7718 VFIND
 10680  8033 ?HUH
 10682  6627 >LINK
 10684  8616 SINGLE
 10686  4753 DUP>R
 10688  2530 FENCE
 10690  3549 @
 10692  2497 LIT 12017
 10696  5926 UMAX
 10698  4390 U<
 10700  7825 (ABORT") PROTECTED
 10712  2674 VOC-LINK
 10714  4726 R@
 10716  8824 TRIM
 10718  2674 VOC-LINK
 10720  3549 @
 10722  5002 DUP
 10724  4789 2-
 10726  4789 2-
 10728  4726 R@
 10730  8824 TRIM
 10732  3549 @
 10734  4981 ?DUP
 10736  4597 0=
 10738  2259 ?BRANCH 10722
 10742  4658 R>
 10744  5002 DUP
 10746  2846 DP
 10748  3587 !
 10750  2497 LIT 2077
 10754  3549 @
 10756  5905 UMIN
 10758  2497 LIT 2077
 10762  3587 !
 10764  7357 HERE
 10766  2497 LIT 3054
 10770  2489 BRANCH 9703  ' IORESET >BODY 6 +
 OK

SEE uses the current BASE , which was DECIMAL , to display numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:20 pm 

There is an interesting property of Fleet Forth's DO LOOP's. Detailed information is provided on Fleet Forth's DO LOOP's here.
Consider the word used to remove trailing blanks from the count of a string's address count pair, -TRAILING
Code:
: -TRAILING  ( ADR CNT1 -- ADR CNT2 )
   DUP 0
   ?DO
      2DUP + 1- C@ BL <> ?LEAVE
      1-
   LOOP ;

Here is what gets compiled:
Code:
SEE -TRAILING
-TRAILING
  6748  5002 DUP
  6750  3293 0
  6752  2358 (?DO) 6776
  6756  5284 2DUP
  6758  4884 +
  6760  4815 1-
  6762  3576 C@
  6764  2709 BL
  6766  4474 <>
  6768  2128 ?LEAVE
  6770  4815 1-
  6772  2149 (LOOP) 6756
  6776  2469 EXIT
 OK

If the count is zero (?DO) will branch to the address which is stored in the cell which follows. This address (address 6776) is also present when (DO) is compiled. It is the address which is pushed on the return stack for any LEAVE or ?LEAVE . It is also the address used by (LOOP) if the DO LOOP runs to completion. If a different address is stored in the cell after (?DO) , the EXIT at address 6776 will not be reached.
Here is the word SPACE
Code:
: SPACE  ( -- )  BL EMIT ;

Simple and to the point, it emits one space character.
Code:
SEE SPACE
SPACE
  6661  2709 BL
  6663  2931 EMIT
  6665  2469 EXIT
 OK

Notice that address 6665 in SPACE also has the word EXIT . If the address after the (?DO) in -TRAILING is replaced with this address, -TRAILING will work exactly as before. The only difference is the EXIT at the end of -TRAILING will not be reached. Not by (?DO) if the count of the string is zero, not by ?LEAVE if there are no more blanks in the string, and not by (LOOP) if the loop runs to completion. They will all branch to address 6665.
The following modification to the source will result in that change.
Code:
: -TRAILING  ( ADR CNT1 -- ADR CNT2 )
   DUP 0
   ?DO
      2DUP + 1- C@ BL <> ?LEAVE
      1-
   LOOP -;
   ' SPACE >BODY 4 +  HERE 2- @ 2- !

Dash semicolon -; finishes the definition without compiling EXIT . The phrase
' SPACE >BODY 4 +
returns the address where there is an EXIT , address 6665 in this case.
HERE 2- @ 2-
backs up to the address of the branch used by (LOOP) and follows it then backs up to the address of the branch used by (?DO) .
Finally, store ! changes the address to 6665.
Code:
SEE -TRAILING
-TRAILING
  6748  5002 DUP
  6750  3293 0
  6752  2358 (?DO) 6665
  6756  5284 2DUP
  6758  4884 +
  6760  4815 1-
  6762  3576 C@
  6764  2709 BL
  6766  4474 <>
  6768  2128 ?LEAVE
  6770  4815 1-
  6772  2149 (LOOP) 6756
 OK

Okay, a minor savings of two bytes; however, there is no cost in performance. Here is another example. Fleet Forth's ID. TYPE and QTYPE . QTYPE is used by LIST since a BLOCK might not contain a screen of source. It could be virtual memory or some other type of data.
Code:
: ID.  ( NFA -- )
   1+
   BEGIN
      COUNT $7F 2DUP AND QEMIT >
   UNTIL
   DROP PAUSE ;
: TYPE  ( ADR CNT -- )
   ?DO
      COUNT EMIT
   LOOP
   DROP PAUSE ;
: QTYPE  ( ADR CNT -- )
   ?DO
      COUNT QEMIT
   LOOP
   DROP PAUSE ;

The following modification shaves six bytes off of TYPE and six bytes off of QTYPE .
Code:
: ID.  ( NFA -- )
   1+
   BEGIN
      COUNT $7F 2DUP AND QEMIT >
   UNTIL
   [ HERE >A ]
   DROP PAUSE ;
: TYPE  ( ADR CNT -- )
   ?DO
      COUNT EMIT
   LOOP -;
   A@ HERE 2- @ 2- !
: QTYPE  ( ADR CNT -- )
   ?DO
      COUNT QEMIT
   LOOP -;
   A> HERE 2- @ 2- !

Since this technique is the epitome of highly non portable code, I will most likely confine its use to Fleet Forth's kernel and system loader.
To be clear, this type of DO LOOP places three parameters on the return stack: The address in the cell following (?DO) or (DO) , the loop limit, and the loop index (actually modified versions of the limit and index).
The loop words (?DO) LEAVE ?LEAVE (LOOP) and (+LOOP) all leave the loop by way of this address. (?DO) uses that address to avoid the loop entirely if the limit and initial index are identical.
If this type of DO LOOP were the norm, it would be interesting to see what other creative use could be made of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 am 

JimBoyd wrote:
Dash semicolon -; finishes the definition without compiling EXIT .

Nice!  Do other Forths use that too, ie, is it somewhat common practice, or just your own?

(I would call that hyphen though, as a dash is longer ( — versus - ).  On typewriters, since they were usually monospaced, we used to do a dash with two hyphens in a row.)

Quote:
If this type of DO LOOP were the norm, it would be interesting to see what other creative use could be made of it.

...as is always the case with Forth.  I continue to be surprised, now after 30+ years, by creative and useful techniques that can be done in Forth, things that definitely don't initially meet the eye and aren't in books except maybe "Thinking Forth" (which I really should re-read every few years but don't).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:00 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
JimBoyd wrote:
Dash semicolon -; finishes the definition without compiling EXIT .

Nice!  Do other Forths use that too, ie, is it somewhat common practice, or just your own?

I saw it somewhere but I don't remember where. I'm reasonably certain it was -; but it could have been ;- . I'm going with -; because I think it looks better. As for how common it is, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:39 pm 

Fleet Forth now has a slightly smaller version of NUMBER? with the same functionality.
This is the previous version.
Code:
: NUMBER?  ( ADR -- D FLAG )
   RB
   DUP 1+ C@ ASCII # - DUP 3 U<
   IF
      BASE.TABLE + C@ BASE !
      1+ DUP
   THEN
   DROP
   DPL ON  0 0 ROT
   1+
   COUNT ASCII - <> DUP>R +
   COUNT DIGIT NIP >R
   2-
   BEGIN
      CONVERT DUP C@ VALID?
   WHILE
      DPL OFF
      DUP 1+ C@ VALID?
   UNTIL
   THEN
   C@ BL =  R> AND
   R>  ?EXIT
   >R DNEGATE R> ;

It takes the address of a counted string and returns a double number and a flag. The flag is true if conversion was successful.
Code:
DIGIT  ( CHAR -- N TRUE )
       ( CHAR -- CHAR FALSE )

CONVERT  ( D1 ADR1 -- D2 ADR2 )

CONVERT returns the address of the first unconvertible character. This is exactly what I want. It takes the address one byte prior to the first character it will attempt to convert, so I replaced CONVERT with the phrase 1- CONVERT and bumped the address up one byte.
Instead of just testing the first character to see if it is a valid digit, also make it the first digit by placing a copy of the flag to the return stack and replacing
0 0 ROT with AND 0 ROT
Since the loop starts with 1- CONVERT , I was able to make the rest of the loop more efficient.
Code:
: NUMBER?  ( ADR -- D FLAG )
   RB
   1+ DUP C@ ASCII # - DUP 3 U<
   IF
      BASE.TABLE + C@ BASE !
      COUNT
   THEN
   DROP
   DPL ON
   COUNT ASCII - <> DUP>R +
   COUNT DIGIT DUP>R  AND 0
   ROT
   BEGIN
      1- CONVERT COUNT VALID?
   WHILE
      DPL OFF
      DUP C@ VALID?
   UNTIL
   THEN
   1- C@ BL =  R> AND
   R>  ?EXIT
   >R DNEGATE R> ;

This version of NUMBER? accepts the same numeric strings as valid, but it is 8 bytes smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:55 pm 

I was also able to reduce the size of EVALUATE .
The original EVALUATE .
Code:
: EVALUATE  ( ADR N -- )
   BLK 2@ 2>R
   TIB #TIB @ 2>R
   #TIB ! (IS) TIB
   BLK OFF >IN OFF
   INTERPRET
   2R> #TIB ! (IS) TIB
   2R> BLK 2! ;

Which compiles to this:
Code:
SEE EVALUATE
EVALUATE
 16274  2540 BLK
 16276  4940 2@
 16278  4688 2>R
 16280  2762 TIB
 16282  2624 #TIB
 16284  3561 @
 16286  4688 2>R
 16288  2624 #TIB
 16290  3599 !
 16292  7783 (IS)
 16294  2762 TIB
 16296  2540 BLK
 16298  5160 OFF
 16300  2552 >IN
 16302  5160 OFF
 16304  8573 INTERPRET
 16306  4711 2R>
 16308  2624 #TIB
 16310  3599 !
 16312  7783 (IS)
 16314  2762 TIB
 16316  4711 2R>
 16318  2540 BLK
 16320  4965 2!
 16322  2469 EXIT
 OK

The new EVALUATE .
Code:
: EVALUATE  ( ADR CNT -- )
   TIB #TIB @ 2>R
   LIT [ >MARK ] ENTER
   0 0 LIT
   [ ' LINELOAD >BODY DUP 100
     " LOAD 0" COUNT MATCH DROP
     + 4 + , ]
   ENTER
   2R>
   [ >RESOLVE ]
   #TIB ! (IS) TIB ;

which compiles to this:
Code:
SEE EVALUATE
EVALUATE
 16290  2762 TIB
 16292  2624 #TIB
 16294  3561 @
 16296  4688 2>R
 16298  2497 LIT 16316
 16302 13885 ENTER
 16304  3293 0
 16306  3293 0
 16308  2497 LIT 11072
 16312 13885 ENTER
 16314  4711 2R>
 16316  2624 #TIB
 16318  3599 !
 16320  7783 (IS)
 16322  2762 TIB
 16324  2469 EXIT
 OK

Address 11072 (decimal) is in LINELOAD
Code:
SEE LINELOAD
LINELOAD
 11049  5013 DUP
 11051  4608 0=
 11053  7854 (ABORT") CAN'T LOAD 0
 11068  6936 RB
 11070  6966 DECIMAL
 11072  2540 BLK
 11074  4940 2@
 11076  4688 2>R
 11078  2540 BLK
 11080  3599 !
 11082  2719 C/L
 11084  5874 *
 11086  2552 >IN
 11088  3599 !
 11090  8573 INTERPRET
 11092  4711 2R>
 11094  2489 BRANCH 8628  ' QUERY >BODY 27 +
 OK
8628 :DIS
  8628  2540 BLK
  8630  4965 2!
  8632  2469 EXIT
 OK

This version of EVALUATE is fourteen bytes smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:39 pm 

JimBoyd wrote:

Please, take a look at https://github.com/agsb/immu/

It uses a minimal ITC, no keep IP and W, all references at return stack.

feel free to comment :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:14 am 

(Welcome, agsb!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:53 pm 

agsb wrote:
Please, take a look at https://github.com/agsb/immu/

It uses a minimal ITC, no keep IP and W, all references at return stack.

feel free to comment :)

Have you considered starting a new thread to discuss your Forth and your design goals?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next