6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:25 pm 

Is the R6520 a drop in replacement for the MC6820?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:48 pm 

https://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc ... ements.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:43 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:24 pm 

Wondering if that W65C21S maybe a little too aggressive WRT switching speeds for an older board?

I've had a 74ACT04 render an older board inoperative due to switching spikes on the power rails messing with other chips.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:02 pm 

BillO wrote:
I've had a 74ACT04 render an older board inoperative due to switching spikes on the power rails messing with other chips.
Given that the rise and fall times are rather abrupt on AC and ACT outputs, my first thought would be ringing on the traces driven by the 'ACT04 outputs. But spikes on the power rails are also a possibility. If you're curious enough to do an experiment, you could try soldering a supply bypass capacitor directly on top of the 'ACT04. (The original bypass caps on the old board were perhaps not well chosen and perhaps not well situated and optimally connected.)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 am 

That ship sailed Jeff. No longer have the board. I guess I could ask the owner to loan it back to me..

There were major spikes and HF ringing on the on the traces, but the culprit in preventing operation was an unconnected refrigerable one-shot that just kept retriggering and gumming up the works.

If I triggered my scope off any of the 74ACT04 outputs I would see spikes on the power rails. One in particular created a spike (actually HF ring) that registered as over 700mV on my meager 100MHz scope. In reality it was probably a lot worse. Certainly enough to re-trigger the one-shot. The one-shot (74LS123) was adjacent to the 74ACT04 so got the noise first hand.

The board was badly laid out too with "once in a while" bypass caps between the power rails rather than between the chips power pins. Think of a row of ICs with +/- power rails both above and below the row of chips. The bypass caps went between the adjacent rails so basically there was no proper decoupling of any IC. I'd say (without having in front of me) that it had maybe one cap for every 4 ICs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:49 am 

Well, I guess the pertinent question now is how a W65C21S will behave in this other old board you mentioned.

It'd be fairly easy to upgrade the supply bypassing if that seems appropriate. But if ringy outputs seem to be an issue, then as you know the easiest remedy (if you can get away with it) is series termination -- just a 30 or 50 ohm (approx) resistor located close to the IC pin and connected between it and whatever it connects to.

Will the W65C21S have a lot of its peripheral pins operating as outputs? In that case you'll need a lot of resistors, and might wanna consider using a resistor array (possibly SMT) rather than discrete resistors.

(And of course the data bus pins sometimes act as outputs, too... :| )

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:08 pm 

The 6821/W65C21S is not going in the previously discussed board but into the one below to replace that beautiful but maybe faulty purple ceramic one. This board is not great WRT to bypassing, but is better than the previously discussed one by a measurable margin.
Attachment:
IMGP9917.JPG
IMGP9917.JPG [ 256.48 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

As you can see from the reverse, the process you mention is underway - not completed yet, but this project has been and on again, off again one since 2015.

It's now on again and I'll get those caps completed before the W65C21S arrives. Most of the I/O off that chip already has termination resistors.
Attachment:
IMGP9918.JPG
IMGP9918.JPG [ 310.91 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

As always, thanks Jeff!