6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:37 am 

AndrewP wrote:
Ultimately I'd like to use the ATF16V8BQL-15XU because it's only 6.6mm x 4.5mm and would fit on the back of the surface mount Kingbright displays I'm using (along with the '555). If anyone manages to get a dual hex display going with a '16V8 that'd be awesome but it's not a tangent I want to go off on as I'm already, like, three major tangents deep :roll:

I would use a microcontroller, a single IC. In fact, I started such a project 3½ years ago, then it got put on the back burner, and now I don't even remember why. I have several other projects going though, so it'll have to wait. I may still complete it later and offer it if someone else doesn't offer one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:33 am 

BillO wrote:
Nice compact module!

Thank you!

AndrewP wrote:
It was your video on building a HEX display that inspired me to build one for myself, big thanks for that!

Glad to hear it! I've been trying to complete my breakout board PCB in the main 65C816 series but I plan on making a Hex Display episode in the next couple weeks.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
Ultimately I'd like to use the ATF16V8BQL-15XU because it's only 6.6mm x 4.5mm and would fit on the back of the surface mount Kingbright displays I'm using (along with the '555). If anyone manages to get a dual hex display going with a '16V8 that'd be awesome but it's not a tangent I want to go off on as I'm already, like, three major tangents deep :roll:

I would use a microcontroller, a single IC. In fact, I started such a project 3½ years ago, then it got put on the back burner, and now I don't even remember why. I have several other projects going though, so it'll have to wait. I may still complete it later and offer it if someone else doesn't offer one.

Yeah, I went the MCU route for a few reasons:
- it can be programmed after assembly, unlike the ATF SPLDs, so I can outsource assembly to a site like JLCPCB, and thus make use of 0201 components to make it fit under the display
- I don't need special hardware to program it (like SSOP ZIF sockets...)
- it has a built-in oscillator for easy display multiplexing
- it can be programmed with well known, available tools like the Arduino IDE

One issue is the speed of interrupts prevents the implementation of a register in a reasonably fast circuit (one clock cycle of the MCU is 125ns, of which you need a few to interrupt and read the pins...).
If you need latching of the value, you need an actual logic IC in front to do it quick enough. I managed to fit an ATmega MCU + a 74LS573 latch under the display recently, but I have yet to order this one.
Someone suggested using a PIC microcontroller's configurable logic cells to achieve the speed needed in a single IC, but I haven't tried it yet. You can only map 8 pins to the cells' inputs but you need 9 with the latching signal.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 15.38.21.png
Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 15.38.21.png [ 210.61 KiB | Viewed 919 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:56 am 

AndrewP wrote:

So managed both versions, common anode and common cathode with a 16V8. On the common anode you will definitly need a driver, otherwise the display is to dark, because on high level the current driving all segments is to low. So here a little driver with a BC557 will do the trick. (see in my github repo: https://github.com/willie68/WCPLD. For cc and "normal" display you will not need this, but have to look at the datasheet.
One pin (Cathode or Anode) is always connected directly to the clock signal of the 555, the other to the /OEA. See comment in common anode part how to connect the BC557 driver, because this is inverted, too.

I didn't get an /OE in the logic, always get a "excessive number of product terms".
Anyone know how to connect a programmer (in my case a TL866 pro II) directly to a soldered 16V8 for ICP?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:32 am 

willie68 wrote:
Anyone know how to connect a programmer (in my case a TL866 pro II) directly to a soldered 16V8 for ICP?

Two options: either you build a custom jig with pogo pins, or you build the circuit so that all pins are exposed somehow. You also need to make sure that anything connected to the pins of the 16V8 support being driven by the programmer. I don't know about the programming algorithm and whether it drives only a subset of pins or all of them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:32 pm 

Plus during programming one of the pins gets 12V applied to it which probably won't be healthy for anything else connected to that pin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:13 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:
[With a microcontroller,] One issue is the speed of interrupts prevents the implementation of a register in a reasonably fast circuit (one clock cycle of the MCU is 125ns, of which you need a few to interrupt and read the pins...).
If you need latching of the value, you need an actual logic IC in front to do it quick enough.

This if for visually displaying value on a bus, is it not? If it changes more than a couple dozen times a second, you can't see it anyway. Our eyes' and brain's response is so slow that the speed of the microcontroller is not an issue. I was running a PIC16 at under a MHz, RC-controlled. Were you trying to catch a certain value that's there only a few dozen nanoseconds, like with a digital oscilloscope?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:51 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
akohlbecker wrote:
[With a microcontroller,] One issue is the speed of interrupts prevents the implementation of a register in a reasonably fast circuit (one clock cycle of the MCU is 125ns, of which you need a few to interrupt and read the pins...).
If you need latching of the value, you need an actual logic IC in front to do it quick enough.

This if for visually displaying value on a bus, is it not? If it changes more than a couple dozen times a second, you can't see it anyway. Our eyes' and brain's response is so slow that the speed of the microcontroller is not an issue. I was running a PIC16 at under a MHz, RC-controlled. Were you trying to catch a certain value that's there only a few dozen nanoseconds, like with a digital oscilloscope?

Latching is useful for implementing output / debug registers that keep their value over time, like displaying POST codes or writing debug values. This functionality was present in the MC14495 or the TIL311 for example, it might be nice to be able to replicate it from the originals. Not a must-have for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:04 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
Latching is useful for implementing output / debug registers that keep their value over time, like displaying POST codes or writing debug values. This functionality was present in the MC14495 or the TIL311 for example, it might be nice to be able to replicate it from the originals. Not a must-have for sure!

On mine I use a 74ACT574 to latch. Unfortunately the MC14495s could not keep up with a 6502 running at 14MHz.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 pm 

That does not surprise me. The MC14495 has 100ns and 125ns set-up and hold times requirements respectively on the LE pin at 5V

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 am 

willie68 wrote:
So managed both versions, common anode and common cathode with a 16V8. On the common anode you will definitely need a driver, otherwise the display is to dark, because on high level the current driving all segments is to low. So here a little driver with a BC557 will do the trick. (see in my github repo: https://github.com/willie68/WCPLD. For cc and "normal" display you will not need this, but have to look at the datasheet.
One pin (Cathode or Anode) is always connected directly to the clock signal of the 555, the other to the /OEA. See comment in common anode part how to connect the BC557 driver, because this is inverted, too.
Awesome! Thanks Willie. I'll post back here (in a couple of months - bit between funds at the moment) once I've got a working board going with a '16v8.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Couple of reasons why I don't want to go with a microcontroller. And too be completely honest the main reason is it would be more time for yet another skill I'd have to learn. I don't want to use the Raspberry Pico because it's too big and because it needs a clean, sharp input voltage to start-up; plugging into breadboards or pin headers sometimes causes it to crash.

In the far future I might try using a PIC33 but I haven't used one in - probably - 15 years and I absolutely hated the dev environment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:20 am 

AndrewP wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:

Couple of reasons why I don't want to go with a microcontroller. And too be completely honest the main reason is it would be more time for yet another skill I'd have to learn.

—always a valid reason.

Quote:
In the far future I might try using a PIC33 but I haven't used one in - probably - 15 years and I absolutely hated the dev environment.

A PIC33 would be quite an overkill. I was using a PIC16, running it at a fraction of its maximum speed. Getting up to speed on the development is always significant though. I've brought a dozen products to market with PIC16's, and I always start every new project with copying certain boilerplate kind of stuff from previous projects, so I don't have to figure it out again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
A PIC33 would be quite an overkill. I was using a PIC16, running it at a fraction of its maximum speed. Getting up to speed on the development is always significant though. I've brought a dozen products to market with PIC16's, and I always start every new project with copying certain boilerplate kind of stuff from previous projects, so I don't have to figure it out again.
I learned a few things since I last posted and a PIC16 is looking a bit more suitable.

The main reason being I hadn't realised the ATF22V10 treats it's maximum 150mA current rating as target rather than a limit. So...
Attachment:
20220909_144011.jpg
20220909_144011.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 703 times ]
...this, running four ATF22V10s draws half an Amp. Ouch.

It's a board specifically for debugging the '816 but spot the obvious problem. No, really, don't look too deeply. It's right there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:33 pm 

You can also build the 7-seg display out of individual LED and drive with a CPLD. This board monitors and displays bus activities of RC2014 or RC6502.
Bill

Attachments:
CPLDTIL.jpg
CPLDTIL.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 667 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:34 pm 

I rather like that - and I especially like it with the modern and now affordable option of having the PCB house do the soldering of the surface mount parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:54 pm 

plasmo wrote:
You can also build the 7-seg display out of individual LED and drive with a CPLD. This board monitors and displays bus activities of RC2014 or RC6502.
Bill

Pretty slick. With my lousy vision, I'd be using T1-3/4 LEDs, and would end up with a board the size of a football field. :D