6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Free Parts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:22 am 

I have an excess of 2716 EPROMs in case anyone is interested. I won't be able to test them or erase them. If anyone wants them you just have to pay for the shipping. I figure they are better off in the hands of someone that might get use out of them.

I'll keep them another 2 weeks and then I'll have to send them to e-waste.

Post subject: Re: Free Parts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:58 am 

2716? They're probably 450ns too, aren't they? I have a few here, and although I'll probably never use them, they aren't taking enough space among my thousands of ICs to matter. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, who wants to make something very historically accurate, will want them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:03 pm 

Yeah, most of them are 450ns, but of the 35 surplus ones 6 are 300ns. I'm still keeping 8 of the 300ns parts just in case. I had an idea one time of building a computer that had a bunch of small EPROMs so that I could keep code stored by function (motor controls, DAC code, timing routines, math routines, etc..) and when I had to make changes just pop out and reprogram the appropriate EPROM. I may still do that.

Room is a concern. I literally cannot find space for another parts cabinet. Bought 2 the other day and spent all of yesterday re-arranging things in my 'lab' to get them to fit. I got one in, but that's not going to accommodate all the parts I have randomly tossed in boxes. So..

I'd rather not throw them out, but I will never use all 43 of them.

I have other parts I was going to offer here too as I slowly re-organize. Anyone need a few 74HCT595s? They are all the rage amongst the MCU crowd as I/O extenders. I have a few too many of those as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:42 pm 

BillO wrote:
Room is a concern. I literally cannot find space for another parts cabinet. Bought 2 the other day and spent all of yesterday re-arranging things in my 'lab' to get them to fit. I got one in, but that's not going to accommodate all the parts I have randomly tossed in boxes. So..

I keep some ICs in ItoI ChipSafe books (unfortunately I can't find them on the web, so maybe they've gone out of business), keep others that I tend to access in tubes on the shelf, and thousands in tubes in boxes in the office closet and in the garage.

Quote:
Anyone need a few 74HCT595s? They are all the rage amongst the MCU crowd as I/O extenders. I have a few too many of those as well.

That's a nice IC for that. I show how to use it with the VIA, at http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/pot ... #22_SR_OUT .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:29 am 

Just had a bunch more pertinent ICs arrive today. Well, they are believed by myself to be pertinent, but 10 years form now - who knows. For some reason, in the distant past, I believed that a 74LS51 was a pertinent chip. I don't ever remember using one and I have no idea why I would ever use one. But I have 5 of them.

Has anyone ever used one?

Yeah, the '595 and '165 are great chips. Unlimited I/O with just 3 lines, as long as you're not in great hurry. That primer of yours is a real goldmine Garth!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:04 pm 

Hey Garth, after spending a lot of time reading your primer over the years it occurred to me to ask you if you ever considered writing a book on designing 6502 system for fun and profit? With the recent resurgence in interest in retro style computers and the 6502 in particular, it might go over quite well.

Not that I don't like the internet, but if I can I usually by the book. To me it's handier to have a real book when I'm heads down in some project or other that have to move over to where the computer is, bring up google and go searching for what I need. Books just tend to have a better UI than the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:53 pm 

I know what you mean, and even with things that are available on the internet, I don't like E-books, and if there's something I want or need badly enough, I email it to a place a mile away to get it printed, then I put it in a loose-leaf binder (which also isn't as good as a regular book binding). It's quicker to thumb through the paper, and you can pencil-in your notes, add the stickies, etc..

Various people (including WDC) have asked me if they could print the 6502 primer or post it also on their own sites. I always ask that they just refer to my site, because I'm always improving it. It's definitely not static. There's also the matter of all the hypertext links that would not get followed if they were on paper. I do keep the DNS paid up several years in advance, and the hosting service as well, so even if I get hit by a meteorite, it will remain up for at least that long. Then there's always archive.org.

I appreciate the compliment, and may someday offer the primer or other major features on the site as books, but I'm not really considering it at this time.

There are a few reasons it is a primer, not a university-level training:
  • I originally wrote it to address problems and questions that newbies kept bringing up on the forum over and over.
  • If it were to get too advanced, the newbies might be scared away, or otherwise not find the burried information they need.
  • There are things which, because of my own uses for the 65xx computer, I myself have not gotten into, like video.
  • There are other subjects I've wanted to address as well, some already posted (like the 6502 stacks treatise which is 19 articles plus appendices), and some still in progress, and these all take a lot of time. And like for everyone else, life gets in the way too.
  • My own strength is in doing the unexpected with simple tools; and I like to stimulate others' thinking along those lines. My own job is mostly analog design anyway, and I just use the little computers to control the analog, whether on the workbench for testing and controlling experiments and taking data, or in our products. There are lots of circuits I want to add to the potpourri page, which although not strictly 65xx-related, support 65xx work.

I have a minor pipe dream of someday making my living in 65xx, but that dream includes making the information itself (including software) free (except in the case of books or materials that cost money to produce), to promote the interest. The market keeps changing though, so I'm not holding my breath. I saw the possibilities decades ago, and certain things remain rather constant but others have changed dramatically, like that everybody and their dog now sells cheap SBCs like Arduinos and Pis which have their attractions but leave certain needs unmet. Uh-oh, now I feel myself getting into the subject of computer education, and this post could get super long. I better stop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:24 am 

I used to be a voracious reader of books and magazines, and I still have a huge stash of both. But my gradually failing eyesight causes problems for me now. For some reason I don't have the same problems with a PC or laptop display at arm's length, so that's my source of choice for now.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:25 pm 

I prefer books and printed material as well, but the small text is usually a problem for me now. I often print out portions of datasheets for a three-ring binder. I don't like a computer for general reading, finding an e-reader much more comfortable. Unfortunately, the one I have don't do pdfs well and technical books rarely translate well to the e-book format anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:50 pm 

Just to let everyone know. I had someone contact me about the 2716s .. however, it seems Canada Post has been indulging in a little COVID price pumping. The price to send these to California turns out to be $12 (not tracked) or $17.50 (tracked and insured) (in USD). Kind of a lot to pay for ancient chips of little use.

Well, there it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:08 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
BillO wrote:

I keep some ICs in ItoI ChipSafe books (unfortunately I can't find them on the web, so maybe they've gone out of business), keep others that I tend to access in tubes on the shelf, and thousands in tubes in boxes in the office closet and in the garage.

ItoI ("eye to eye") Enterprises' ChipSafe books can be seen in this archived web page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061118120 ... lbfam.html
Here's the picture from that page:
The thru-hole ICs' pins are stuck into the conductive foam. It's a much, much nicer way to see and access your most-used ICs, while the overflow can be kept it tubes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:20 pm 

They look nice!

I wonder if I could rig up something with anti-static foam and old video tape cases?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:15 pm 

BillO wrote:
They look nice!

I wonder if I could rig up something with anti-static foam and old video tape cases?

These are bigger than VHS cases; but yes, that's the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:18 am 

How many chips do you still have?

If I get enough, the shipping cost per chip becomes reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:28 pm 

BillG wrote:
How many chips do you still have?

If I get enough, the shipping cost per chip becomes reasonable.

There are 35 of them.