6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:08 pm 

Interesting. If I pull the CMOS chip so that the 74LSxx chip is just driving the scope and the empty circuitry, the dip goes away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:21 pm 

How much did that change the capacitance it had to drive? I wonder if there's some input current too, in the middle ground between valid logic states. You wouldn't expect any DC in a CMOS circuit's input; but maybe there's a brief increase in capacitance as it crosses the threshold. I think I've seen something about that in certain ap. notes or data sheets. In my back-of-the-envelope circuit I show at viewtopic.php?p=93550#p93550, R6 is there to bias the output of the LM324 or '358 (same thing, just quad or dual op amp). With no load, it's not needed; but as the load increases, I find that R6 needs to become heavier to prevent the crossover distortion. As a standard practice, I have landed on it being one-third of the capacitively coupled load resistance; ie, that if the load is 30K for example, I'll make the R6 10K. It does of course take more power-supply current, but it's worth it in our applications.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:27 pm 

Pulling the chip reduces the capacitance being driven by just under half.

I'll see if a small amount of resistive loading changes things, but that will have to wait for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:31 pm 

CMOS logic has a current spike right at the threshold point as both P and N channel conducting. This is why you can't let CMOS input float--it'll goes to threshold point and draw lots of current. That current spike may feed back to the ground of probe.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:34 pm 

plasmo wrote:
CMOS logic has a current spike right at the threshold point as both P and N channel conducting. This is why you can't let CMOS input float--it'll goes to threshold point and draw lots of current. That current spike may feed back to the ground of probe.
Bill
I could test that by not powering up the CMOS chip. Just bend the Vdd lead out of the socket.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:42 pm 

The effective input capacitance will be increased by the miller effect when the input voltage is close to the threshold. Far from the threshold the input capacitance will be Cgs + Cgd, but around the threshold it will be Cgs + Cgd * (1 + G) where G is the stage gain (rate of change of drain voltage with gate voltage).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:41 am 

BillO wrote:
I re-built the initial test circuit on a PCB keeping the connections as short as possible and there has been improvement. The power rails are .1" wide traces of 1oz copper and bypass capacitors have been placed between the power pins of each IC and between the ICs.

Do you also have a circuit-level electrolytic at the point where power is brought into the circuit?

That dip certainly sounds to me like an effect of the clock itself: it's causing something major to happen. Which is the point. But it shouldn't feed back to the clock signal. I rather suspect it's the power and ground that's the cause - or, equally, perhaps it is a measurement artefact.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:45 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Do you also have a circuit-level electrolytic at the point where power is brought into the circuit?
Indeed I do. There is a 100uF electrolytic with an ESR of 0.03 ohms. In fact, the power is applied through it leads.

So here a some scope images of the event. As a note, I also tried a scope probe from a different manufacturer and the results were exactly the same.

This with the just 6 CMOS loads:
Attachment:
CMOS_P copy.jpg
CMOS_P copy.jpg [ 65.81 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
Note how the voltage rises slowly after the rigning settles down.

This is with the 6 CMOS loads and a 10K resistor:
Attachment:
CMOS_10K copy.jpg
CMOS_10K copy.jpg [ 65.86 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
The rise time and dip are the same, but the voltage does not increase after the ringing settles down.

This is with 6 LS TTL loads:
Attachment:
LSTTL copy.jpg
LSTTL copy.jpg [ 64.55 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
The rise time is a tad slower, but the dip is much reduced. The voltage reached (3.7V) is not as high as with the CMOS loads, but we do get the slow rise. Note that we can no longer reach 0V. It looks like about 0.05V at the lowest.

This is with 6 TTL loads:
Attachment:
TTL copy.jpg
TTL copy.jpg [ 66.2 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
Rise time to 3.5V is quite a bit slower (3-4ns). The dip is not as bad as the CMOS loads but worse than the LS TTL loads. We reach the same 3.7V as with the LS loads but we don't get the slow increase. Low voltage has increased to 0.15V

This is with the 6 CMOS loads but the power (Vdd) removed from the CMOS IC:
Attachment:
CMOS_NP copy.jpg
CMOS_NP copy.jpg [ 64.67 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
This is strange and unexpected. The dip is gone, but the maximum voltage reached is reduced to 3.6V and the time to reach 3.5V has increased by 10ns!? There is no slow rise.

And this is with no IC, just the circuitry load (~12pF):
Attachment:
NOCHIP copy.jpg
NOCHIP copy.jpg [ 65.27 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
Again no dip and rise time is increased over having a device load.

I am more confused than ever now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:59 pm 

Thanks for doing all those experiments!  I suppose the one of the CMOS IC not being powered is the way it is because the power on the IC is being brought up through the input-protection diodes.

Quote:
I am more confused than ever now.

I know what you mean.  Last month I did an experiment with diode termination, and although both ends of the line looked nice, the middle was a disaster.  Although I assume it's because when the diodes begin conducting, the impedance suddenly changes, and there's a reflection; but I didn't know what to try next, and haven't gone further, so I haven't posted my results.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:16 pm 

Just a thought Bill, perhaps if you show some photos of your circuit and your probing, there might be observations to be made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:45 pm 

The reduced output voltage with power removed from the chip could be due to loading of the input via the protection diode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:08 am 

BigEd wrote:
Just a thought Bill, perhaps if you show some photos of your circuit and your probing, there might be observations to be made.

I'll do that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:14 am 

kernelthread wrote:
The reduced output voltage with power removed from the chip could be due to loading of the input via the protection diode.
Garth mentioned this too. Could be, and you definitely see a non-linearity as the voltage rises. However how do we explain the reduced voltage and slow rise time when there is no chip at all?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:31 am 

BillO wrote:
6 full TTL loads + 8.2K resistor

When you mention the resistor, whether 8.2K or 10K, how is that connected in the circuit?  Signal to Vcc?  Signal to ground?

Also, in your 'scope pictures, is that horizontal dotted graticule line near the bottom of each trace the 0V line?  Or is there some offset?  I ask because I wouldn't expect any TTL output with Schottky diodes (the 'S' in 'LS' in '74LS') to go below about a quarter of a volt.  The diodes are added between the collector and emitter of the bottom transistor to keep it from fully saturating, because it takes longer to get out of saturation when it's time for a rising edge.)  I got this picture from Wikipedia to illustrate.  (It bugs me that their blue arrows go with conventional current direction—which was always wrong and I don't know how the error survived the age of vacuum tubes—instead of electron flow direction, but be that as it may...)
Attachment:
SchottkyTransistor.gif
SchottkyTransistor.gif [ 23.45 KiB | Viewed 429 times ]

I guess the 7400 (no 'S' anywhere) doesn't have that.

The next thing to try might be different values of pull-up resistors at the TTL's output.  I'm sure most of us have the capability to do the experiment; but since you're already set up,... :D Actually, now I'm wanting to do it with 74FCT, and you probably don't have that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:48 am 

Conventional current flow is the only way to go, if the aim is to communicate. (Unless you're discussing Hall effect sensors or cathode ray tubes...)

Why those annotations don't use the letter I, that would be my question. Surely these are currents?