6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:35 pm 

Quote:
It’s important to understand that the 816 reads or writes data at the fall of the clock. tDSR is a period of time that precedes the fall of Ø2 and tDHR is a period of time that will elapse after the fall of Ø2. During a read cycle, the 816 will open its data latches no more than tDSR nanoseconds before the clock falls and capture whatever is on D0-D7. Ideally, the data latches would close at the fall of the clock, but in practice they will lag the clock by a couple of nanoseconds. Hence tDHR is specified to assure D0-D7 will remain stable until the latches are closed.

That explanation is good enough, I think, to understand the constraints and requirements, but I'd just like to note that it's not quite accurate as to the internal mechanisms. I could elaborate, but perhaps not here and now so as not to interrupt the conversation in progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 pm 

Quote:
I have an oscilloscope (Rigol DS1102, 2-channel) - are there any tell-tale signs of the ROM not being able to keep up at higher frequencies by comparing particular signals?

As it's a ROM, you only need to worry about the arrival of data in time to the CPU. It might be interesting, then, to trigger off the clock and to monitor one or two data lines while the machine is doing something (if you can get it to do something) and see how late the data is changing before the clock edge, and how long it stays stable after the clock edge - as BDD implies, that's all the CPU cares about.

If you can run your scope for a while accumulating traces you should get a picture of the latest arrival and earliest departure.

The timings of the ROMs inputs (address, CS, OE) are the means to that end, of getting the ROM to respond in time to each read. Perhaps tracing one of those inputs, and one of the data lines, and triggering on the clock, would be useful.

Having said that, you don't want non-ROM accesses to turn up in these pictures, so you'd need to be running a test loop which only makes ROM accesses, for code and data.