6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:47 pm 

I can see from photos earlier in the thread that you're using 74AHCT logic chips for this keyboard circuit. When used on a breadboard the 'A' version of the logic chips can be problematic due to rapid rise and fall times of the outputs for this logic family.

Indeed I struggled with reliability of this same keyboard circuit on a breadboard using 74AHC logic chips. The same circuit worked perfectly after switching to 74HC logic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:11 pm 

Here's to emphasize what Jeff is saying above. (See also the 6502 primer's page, "Construction: Avoiding AC-Performance Problems" and the links added there.) Here's someone's picture I downloaded and modified. Clearly the builder is not finished with the circuit; but so far the only power and ground connections between boards is along the top. I put, in hot lavender, how the ground connections should go across from ICs in one column to ICs in the next. (Power should be done the same way, and the bypass capacitors should go over each IC, not just at the rails.) The signals' return current needs to go through these added connections. If they have to go clear up to the top and over, it makes for a lot of extra inductance, and they'll try to come back on neighboring signal lines instead, not because of reduced resistance, but because of mutual inductance, that is, the electromagnetic field around one wire trying to produce an opposite current spike in a neighboring line, resulting in glitches. Make the wires no longer than they need to be.
Attachment:
badbreadboard1.jpg
badbreadboard1.jpg [ 167.17 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]

adrianhudson wrote recently, "I read somewhere, Garth's primer I think [linked above —GW], about ground return paths on breadboard. I put several more power and ground connections between my breadboards and bingo, fixed."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:34 pm 

I support Garth's statement above.

Also, what power supply are you using? I noticed in the schematics that there is no larger (eg 47u or 100u) bypass (are they called this?) Cap between gnd and vcc. I have them on every board where the supply hits the board and sometimes even some across the board, to decouple power fluctuations between boards and the supply.
(And now I'm looking for comments of our resident experts if that actually makes sense...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 pm 

I don't mind reading material; I like books and collect vintage computer books. :D I have been eyeing High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic but have been holding off because of the high price. I like your second suggestion too. :D Here are the two ways I was thinking of hooking up power and ground to the ICs:

Attachment:
20220617_173159.jpg
20220617_173159.jpg [ 3.07 MiB | Viewed 959 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 pm 

Ah, more replies came in while I was typing!

pjdennis wrote:
I can see from photos earlier in the thread that you're using 74AHCT logic chips for this keyboard circuit. When used on a breadboard the 'A' version of the logic chips can be problematic due to rapid rise and fall times of the outputs for this logic family.

Indeed I struggled with reliability of this same keyboard circuit on a breadboard using 74AHC logic chips. The same circuit worked perfectly after switching to 74HC logic.

That is good to hear. I thought that something like that might be the case after talking with Chad upthread. I don't have any 74HC, but I ordered some to try; they should be here tomorrow.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
[color=#000000]Here's to emphasize what Jeff is saying above. (See also the 6502 primer's page, "Construction: Avoiding AC-Performance Problems" ...

That picture is illuminating. I read the AC Performance Problems page about 3 times this week, thanks to other threads where people are discussing similar issues to the one I'm having. I always attach GND to GND and VCC to VCC at both ends of breadboard, but it still never occurred to me to attach both rails at each IC like that.

fachat wrote:
Also, what power supply are you using? I noticed in the schematics that there is no larger (eg 47u or 100u) bypass (are they called this?) Cap between gnd and vcc. I have them on every board where the supply hits the board and sometimes even some across the board, to decouple power fluctuations between boards and the supply.
(And now I'm looking for comments of our resident experts if that actually makes sense...)

I have a 9 volt wall-wart; it plugs into a power regulator circuit on the backplane that has a 10uf and a 100uf electrolytic capacitor. It's a pretty standard thing, I think, using an LM7805 to generate 5 volts. That's the only place I have larger electrolytic capacitors; all the bypass capacitors are .1uf or .01uf.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 pm 

Paganini wrote:
I don't mind reading material; I like books and collect vintage computer books. :D I have been eyeing High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic but have been holding off because of the high price.

I have that book. It seems to largely be a collection of the one-page articles he had every month in one of the electronics industry magazines (many of which I cut out and kept in a file), but the book has more math, which will scare some potential readers away. The magazine articles can be read online at https://web.archive.org/web/20120302190 ... eyword.htm .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 pm 

fachat wrote:

I've been watching more lectures recently from a few industry gurus on matters of transmission lines, board layer stack-up, etc., and saw that Eric Bogatin, consultant in high-speed design and board layout, skewers the three-capacitor bypass thing (you know, the 10uF, 1uF, and .1uF or similar), in the ten minutes starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4REmZlE7Jg&t=1550s (cued up). He says that recommendation is no longer valid with SMT parts, and shows that a 22uF SMT capacitor has much lower overall impedance even in the high frequencies than a leaded .1uF capacitor does. (It still holds some validity in thru-hole though.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:29 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
fachat wrote:

I've been watching more lectures recently from a few industry gurus on matters of transmission lines, board layer stack-up, etc., and saw that Eric Bogatin, consultant in high-speed design and board layout, skewers the three-capacitor bypass thing (you know, the 10uF, 1uF, and .1uF or similar), in the ten minutes starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4REmZlE7Jg&t=1550s (cued up). He says that recommendation is no longer valid with SMT parts, and shows that a 22uF SMT capacitor has much lower overall impedance even in the high frequencies than a leaded .1uF capacitor does. (It still holds some validity in thru-hole though.)

I'll have to watch that. How about through-hole caps with leads < 1mm going into ground/voltage planes? This must come very close to or exceed SMT performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:30 am 

BillO wrote:
How about through-hole caps with leads < 1mm going into ground/voltage planes? This must come very close to or exceed SMT performance.

The high highest frequencies of current will go through the SMT capacitor down low, almost in contact with the board. There's just enough room underneath it so the flux gets washed out (less than the thickness of a Post-It note). I just grabbed a 1206 package capacitor which is considered "large" by today's standards, to measure it, and the very top of it was only .030" (3/4 of a mm) off the surface of the board. The "leads" (ends) of the chip capacitor will be much closer together too. The biggest capacitors on this board (below) that I designed recently for work are 1210 package size, ie, 0.12"x0.10", and 0.10" tall, and those are 100µF (yes, one hundred microfarad)! (I'm not using them as bypass capacitors though. Those are handling audio.)
Attachment:
RN52carrierProtoA.jpg
RN52carrierProtoA.jpg [ 79.64 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

The smallest capacitors on this board are 0402 (0.040" long and 0.020" wide). The next size down from that (but not shown here) cuts that size in half to 0201, and there's also one that cuts the size in half again, 0105 (or is it 01005—that one is rare). They're like the smallest flecks of pepper.

The matter left is that of vias. Yes, if you need to connect to a plane or anything else on another layer, there will have to be a via, and those usually go right next to the capacitor pads. Normally you can't put them in the pads, because then the screen printing of the solderpaste will make a whole lot of solderpaste squish through the hole and make a mess; but if getting minimum inductance and/or maximum density is important enough, you can have them drill and plate the holes, then plug the holes and plate again, over the top of the plugs, and then you can't even see where the via is. In our case where we assemble by hand, the screen printing of solderpaste does not normally come into play, so I put vias in the SMT pads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:04 pm 

Through-hole caps have been improving over time. The left most I used to use in the late 70s to mid 80s, then going toward the right most the ones I use to day. Lead spacing is only 2.54mm and they sit pretty close to teh board. Using planes in a 4-layer board you can get away with very sort leads (~< 1mm). Perhaps they will not beat smal SMT on a 4-layr board, but they are a lot better than what we had in the past.

Attachment:
IMGP9862.jpg
IMGP9862.jpg [ 79.52 KiB | Viewed 896 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 pm 

I had to take a few days away from the project, because my cat got sick over the weekend. :( He is doing much better now, and no longer requires constant supervision, so I got back to it this afternoon. Replacing the 74AHCT logic with 74HC did make my old messy circuit work. But, not being one to take the easy way out, I rebuilt the keyboard circuit *yet again* on a different type of protoboard, using a ground return scheme like the one Garth described earlier. This did the trick, and not only is it working great, it's working with the 74AHCT logic, so Blue April is back to running at 8Mhz! Wheeee! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:51 am 

Excellent news on both fronts!

Post subject: A moment of triumph
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 am 

I suppose this shouldn't feel like such an accomplishment, seeing as how this is the 3rd or 4th time I've built the thing, but...

Attachment:
20220625_215013.jpg
20220625_215013.jpg [ 3.91 MiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Blue April now (finally!) has an I/O board. LCD output and keyboard input are provided by something other than breadboards! :D Here are a couple of side / back views. I kind of like the one with all the lens flare - I didn't do that on purpose!

Attachment:
20220625_215031.jpg
20220625_215031.jpg [ 3.62 MiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Attachment:
20220625_215054.jpg
20220625_215054.jpg [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Now I can get back to my regularly schedule project of making a video card and importing code from 1970s issues of Dr. Dobb's Journal!

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 am 

Great job! Glad it's working well. Did you end up going with the 74HC or 74AHCT parts in the end?

So, you have 3 backplane boards, and to connect them you made a little staircase!

I see you have gotten wire-wrap figured out. That's neat to see, glad that is working for you.

Any starting places for the video? As some have told me, "it is best to start with a working model". And they were right. I was having major difficulties, but when I used George's (gfoot) design, everything worked out nicely afterwards.

Great job again! Thanks for the updates and pictures.

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:38 pm 

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the kind words!

sburrow wrote:
Great job! Glad it's working well. Did you end up going with the 74HC or 74AHCT parts in the end?

I did switch to 74HC while troubleshooting the old circuit, but with this rebuild all the ICs are back to 74AHCT. (Actually, if you look REEEEELY closely at the photo, one of the 595s is still an HC - I must have reached into the wrong parts compartment! - but I have since noticed and swapped it out, so they really are all AHCT now. :)

Quote:
So, you have 3 backplane boards, and to connect them you made a little staircase!

Yep. :) TEBL made a kind of bridge connector for extending the backplane, but it took up two bus slots and only provided one. I figured rather than making another PCBWAY order, I could just make a third backplane and solder on some upside-down male headers. Sacrifice two bus slots to gain three. Also the front backplane module can be swapped out for the RC Project Platform board - that's the one with the half-breadboard and 6522 on it.

Quote:
I see you have gotten wire-wrap figured out. That's neat to see, glad that is working for you.

It seems to be working OK; I followed Garth's instructions in the primer. :) There are still a few solder connections on this version, but all the bus signals are wire wrap to wire wrap.

Quote:
Any starting places for the video? As some have told me, "it is best to start with a working model". And they were right. I was having major difficulties, but when I used George's (gfoot) design, everything worked out nicely afterwards.

Not like having a working Ben Eater keyboard circuit to copy. This will me first time striking out "on my own," as it were. I think composite is a pretty simple signal to generate; I have Gerry Kane's "CRT Controller Handbook," and also a vintage Motorolla data book that has a data-sheet for the 6845 along with some reference implementations to study. I do have a nice Sony PVM with a composite input, so I should be able to test as I go.

There is a VDU module for the RC6502, but it uses the 6847, which I don't particularly like (there's one in my Coco2). I also think I'll probably learn more using something a little more general like the 6854.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next