6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:16 pm 

Does anyone know anything about MDR on the 65816 (or if not, on the 6502?) Anomie has theorized that the Super Nintendo's S-CPU has a memory data register:

https://wiki.superfamicom.org/open-bus

but the decay rates are unknown. I have a Siglent SDS1000X-E oscilloscope to use as a logic analyzer but don't know how to get started figuring the decay rates. I also don't know much about reading pinouts or die shots; has anyone done something like this with MDR before?

https://snes.nesdev.org/wiki/CPU_pinout

high res die shot: https://siliconpr0n.org/map/nintendo/s- ... _ns20x.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 am 

It sounds like how the NMOS 6502 is not guaranteed to work below 100kHz because registers hold charge kind of like DRAM which decays quickly. The S at the end of W65C02S and W65C816S means they're static designs, and you can stop the clock indefinitely, in either phase, and no data or status is ever lost. I've tested it myself, sometimes going minutes between clock edges as I examined things. No problem. Is that what you're talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:22 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
It sounds like how the NMOS 6502 is not guaranteed to work below 100kHz because registers hold charge kind of like DRAM which decays quickly. The S at the end of W65C02S and W65C816S means they're static designs, and you can stop the clock indefinitely, in either phase, and no data or status is ever lost. I've tested it myself, sometimes going minutes between clock edges as I examined things. No problem. Is that what you're talking about?

When I was debugging POC V1.2 I used my clock single-stepper to sequence the 816. While I was doing that, my wife called me to dinner, so I left it sitting for a good hour with the clock stopped. The system resumed with no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 am 

Is there a dynamic register? Or maybe just the capacitance of an undriven bus? Either way, I think the way to measure the day rate is
- write a value
- wait some time
- readback the value

The longer you wait, the more likely the value will have decayed, to below the logic threshold of the receiver.

Most likely, you'll find that 1 values will decay to 0 values, but it could be the other way around, depending on the circuit.

What might not work so well is
- write a value
- wait some time
- readback the value
- wait some more time
- readback the value
because the act of reading could refresh the bus, or disturb it in some way. Always start with a fresh write.

All of the above would be done with a 6502 program - I don't think a logic analyser is needed, if I've understood the setup correctly.

If it's a dynamic register, I think you should expect to see a decay time of the order of milliseconds - maybe 10, maybe 100, maybe more. If it's just bus capacitance then it might be down in the microseconds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:30 am 

BigEd wrote:
Is there a dynamic register? Or maybe just the capacitance of an undriven bus? Either way, I think the way to measure the day rate is
- write a value
- wait some time
- readback the value

The longer you wait, the more likely the value will have decayed, to below the logic threshold of the receiver.

Most likely, you'll find that 1 values will decay to 0 values, but it could be the other way around, depending on the circuit.

What might not work so well is
- write a value
- wait some time
- readback the value
- wait some more time
- readback the value
because the act of reading could refresh the bus, or disturb it in some way. Always start with a fresh write.

All of the above would be done with a 6502 program - I don't think a logic analyser is needed, if I've understood the setup correctly.

If it's a dynamic register, I think you should expect to see a decay time of the order of milliseconds - maybe 10, maybe 100, maybe more. If it's just bus capacitance then it might be down in the microseconds.

Many years back I was working for a company who were making supecomputers out of Transputers and there was a time when DRAM SIMs were in short supply, so they made their own... Amongst other things, I was writing all their test & diagnostics software, so a rig was made to test the decay characteristics of one particular type of memory module - and I did more or less that. I think they were experimenting with reducing board complexity or maximising performance, so there was no refresh hardware (Although I think the Transputer had it built in, so can't quite recall why we were doing this), so in 'normal' use the Transputer was using its high priority interrupt to refresh the RAM, but we could turn it off...

So start a loop to write a test pattern, wait some time and test it. Repeat with longer wait times to see what the longest time we could reliably wait was. The Transputer had some neat block-move instructions which made memory filling and testing relatively easy and allowed back to back read/write cycles.

I don't recall the overall outcomes of that project, but it was fun to do.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:32 am 

I'm not very familiar with the SNES, but I'd guess it's just bus capacitance too. It doesn't make sense (for that era) to add more transistors to deal with something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

A random page (https://www.copetti.org/writings/consoles/super-nintendo/) that Google gave me hypothesises
Quote:
I guess this is Ricoh’s way of applying the popular ‘keep calm and carry on’ philosophy whenever the program reaches the unexpected. After all, from the user’s perspective, carrying on with the execution can be more favourable than a crash… at the expense of the game becoming unpredictable.
which doesn't make any sense to me.

Reading from an undriven bus will not in itself cause a crash. If you read soon enough after the bus was last driven, the last value that was on the bus will still be stored in the bus's parasitic capacitance, and you'll get that. If you wait long enough, that stored charge will drain away, and you'll get other values.

What evidence is there for an actual register, that isn't explained by simpler causes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:49 am 

BTW thanks for the link to the die shot - there's a slippy map which is better for my purposes here
https://siliconpr0n.org/map/nintendo/s- ... y=8847&z=2
(by which I mean an interactive pan and zoom which doesn't push my browser too hard)

It's remarkable to see the whole 65816 core in a corner of the chip - of course we know that's what we'd see, but even so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:12 pm 

I think what you all are talking about is on the right track. If there is a way to measure the MDR decay rates from software without opening up the SNES case I should probably go with that instead. I don't want poke around inside hardware, not knowing what I'm doing and break vintage stuff :) But from what I hear it's pretty hard to break an oscilloscope. I could distribute a test ROM; that would make it very easy for other people to repeat the experiment.

As for evidence that there is an actual register John, creaothceann has pointed me to some here: https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=23908

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:51 pm 

The Input Data Latch is loaded on every read cycle (probably every cycle, whether it's a read or not). The value in it never gets a chance to decay unless you've slowed the clock. If you've slowed the clock to the point where the value in this latch decays, nothing is going to work, because it gets used for almost everything.

It sounds like you're talking about the mechanism by which a read from an unmapped address will tend to return the same value as the last valid read on the same bus. You've assumed that because the value stays the same, there must be a register to hold it.
But that's not necessary. It will happen naturally through the capacitance on the bus, with no explicit register needed. If there is one, it won't be in the 65816 part of the chip - the CPU doesn't know the memory map, so it can't behave differently for mapped or unmapped addresses. It just puts out addresses and reads whatever data comes in on its data bus, regardless of how it got there.

Still, register or not, values read from unmapped locations will decay if nothing refreshes them. It is possible to measure the decay rate. And it would be better to measure it through software: any measurement device (oscilloscope, logic analyser, anything) you put on the bus is going to change the load on that signal, which will change the decay rate, which is not what you want. All a software solution has to do is charge the bus by reading a mapped location, then read an unmapped location after a delay. Keep increasing the delay until the value is different (you could use a binary search to reduce the number of iterations needed, if you have a reasonable guess for an upper bound).

I would expect the delay to depend on the temperature of the chip, among many other factors. It would be interesting to measure it shortly after switching the console on, and again after it has been running for a few hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 pm 

(I see John has posted while I was typing. But I'll hit Submit on this anyway, jeffythedragonslayer.)

From the link in your other thread (offsite):
The theory is that the S-CPU chip has something called a "Memory Data Register" or MDR, which stores the value for every read/write.
I don't believe any 65xx CPU has a register that's involved in both read data and write data. Of course the data bus carries both, but the bus is not a register. The bus's parasitic capacitance can cause it to store data for a limited time, but the data bus is not something you'd properly refer to as a register.

jeffythedragonslayer wrote:
As for evidence that there is an actual register John, creaothceann has pointed me to some here: https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=23908
I suspect you've misinterpreted creaothceann regarding the following, oddly worded remark:

creaothceann wrote:
The 6502 has two separate parts of an MDR: input data latch and data output register.
It would be clearer and make more sense (and I believe it'd match creaothceann's intent) if that first phrase were reworded as follows: "The 6502 has two separate parts, which, together, do what the rumored MDR supposedly does."

He/she then names the input data latch (which handles input data only) and the data output register (which handles output data only). These registers are -- unlike the mythical MDR -- widely recognized, with no associated controversy or mystery.

In short, I think creaothceann was actually debunking the theory Anomie proposed... and I would add that I, too, find nothing convincing in what Anomie posted at that link.

-- Jeff