6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
An eBay special by chance?

Yes ebay. The seller seems to know what he is selling. Sounds like he is in the electronics business or hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:16 am 

[quote="GARTHWILSON"

I'm not familiar with it, but Tek is a major player in the industry and has a good reputation. Is it analog only or DSO? (Should be a good asset to your workbench either way.) At my last place of work, I used a Philips DSO with IEEE-488 so the computer could not only download waveforms but also control all the settings except CRT adjustments (brightness and maybe focus or astigmatism). Very nice.[/quote]

It is an analog.

Here is a similar scope

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/usede ... es/475.htm

I understand the analogs are more easily repairable DYI and cheaper to repair if you send it away.

Tek made and makes a TON of models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 pm 

spinnaker wrote:
I understand the analogs are more easily repairable DYI and cheaper to repair if you send it away.

That wouldn't be too much a concern to me. Most 'scope failures are brought about by carelessness or misuse. Treat it right and it'll treat you right.

My old Beckman 9020 has been working fine for some 30 years, and still has the original CRT. I did mod it by putting a small exhaust fan on the case, but otherwise have not had to do anything with it other than periodically spray contact cleaner on the rotary switches. Being a 20 MHz 'scope, it is of limited value with high speed digital work, but in its original role (audio and LF RF work) it does fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
An in-circuit emulator (ICE) plug into the processor socket...

I see many instances where folks confuse simulation with emulation. The latter is a generally accurate (if not exact) reproduction of the original, including all important tangible attributes. An example would be an Opus 3n1 dumb terminal running in Wyse 60 mode. It emulates the WY60 behavior, not only in software but in hardware attributes (i.e., it has a keyboard, CRT, EIA-232 port, etc.).

Simulation is a software illusion in which no tangible attributes are present. As an example, WIN-VICE (despite the E in VICE) simulates the operation of a Commodore 128 but has no analog to the C-128's keyboard, ports, etc. Therefore, it is not an emulator.