6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SBC OS 2.7 and Page 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:59 pm 

I've been reading the source code to SBC OS to better understand how a ROM monitor works. The memory map claims that page 2 is free above $026f, but I can't figure out what it is using page 2. I know it isn't I/O as that is memory mapped to page $7f.

As an aside I'm writing my own ROM monitor as a learning exercise and realizing that it might be an act of hubris.

Last edited by Martin_H on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SBC OS and Page 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 pm 

Can you provide a link to the SBC OS you are looking at? My SBC2OS uses page 3 for the keyboard input buffer and a few system pointers.

Daryl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm 

I'm writing my own 65c02 monitor with mini-assembler and disassembler as well, but I'm targeting the Kowalski simulator for development and debugging. It's coming along slowly, but I have yet to decide on how to deal with secondary storage options for a potential "real-hardware" version. Luckily, Daryl and several other kind veterans here have provided fully-coded installations to study, but it will still take some thought on my part to decide if I'll create a set-up that uses block-oriented storage or just a simple stream-oriented storage (maybe both?). I'm not coding from pure scratch, but nothing I study or borrow will survive without extensive modifications by yours truly. It will be paired with VTL02, or a DTC Forth similar to PETTIL, or possibly an enhanced version of Woz BASIC, and should fit easily in 4K of ROM, at least in the case of VTL02.

[OT question for Daryl: Do you have any details of the Kowalski simulator I/O options you could PM to me? At present I'm just using the simulated ACIA from an example I got from Klaus. Are there more built-in I/O options hiding somewhere, documented or otherwise?]

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 pm 

8BIT wrote:
Can you provide a link to the SBC OS you are looking at? My SBC2OS uses page 3 for the keyboard input buffer and a few system pointers.

I'm using the copy I got from Rich Cini for his 2.7 respin of the SBC. Here's a link:

http://cini.classiccmp.org/my6502/6502s ... 40_src.zip

Rich took your SBC and added an onboard AVR video and an IEC port interfaced to the existing VIA's. It might be related to buffer space for one or the other, or maybe neither. But I can't figure it out.

Update: In basic23.asm I found a line indicated page 2 is being used for buffer space. So it looks like something for EH Basic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:32 pm 

Yes, EhBASIC is using page 2 for flags and the input buffer. In the patched version, Rich added some file pointers and buffer at $0270. Looks like it uses addresses up to $02B5. The SBC code uses page 3 for input buffer and non-zero page storage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
[OT question for Daryl: Do you have any details of the Kowalski simulator I/O options you could PM to me? At present I'm just using the simulated ACIA from an example I got from Klaus. Are there more built-in I/O options hiding somewhere, documented or otherwise?]

Kowalski only has the ACIA terminal for IO emulation. At the bottom of the Help Index, is a page titled IO Functions. It has the 7 IO addresses that affect the IO terminal.

Daryl