6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:07 pm 

BigEd wrote:
> ...someone already having done the work of building a 6502 bus interface for the Pico...

Maybe Dominic's project?
https://github.com/dp111/PicoTube

Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:46 pm 

If you want to see what I'm working on, I have the repository here:
https://github.com/jmstein7/65c02-FPGA-with-Acia

Quote:
This repository contains HDL for a Xilinx Cmod A7 32T FPGA, which has onboard SRAM. The FPGA is connected to a WDC65c02 (see the XDC file). The ROM (rom_mon.coe) has a simple monitor. There is a 65c51 ACIA emulated. However, I cannot get the RX to work.

The ACIA Clock input is an external oscillator that runs at 1.8432 The Clock input is an external oscillator that runs up to 6mhz.

The ACIA used here is actually written by another member here, LIV2 (Matt Harlum). Maybe Matt can figure out why RX won't work?

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:20 pm 

jmthompson wrote:
I had originally put this on the backburner since I didn't think there'd be any interest outside of me using this to make cheap SSC clones, but I had never considered the use case of people wanting to put ACIAs in 3.3V systems.

I've got some free time this weekend, and already picked up two picos a while back, so I can start messing around with this. I'm positive I saw a post a while back about someone already having done the work of building a 6502 bus interface for the Pico, so really all that will be needed here is to implement the ACIA itself as a wrapper around the Pico's built-in UART.

Well, put it back on the front-burner! It's a very useful project (if it works). There are no ACIAs for 3.3v.

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:26 am 

Jmstein7 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any microcontroller (PIC18F or 16F, Arduino, ESP32, Teensy, etc.) projects out there that can emulate a 65c51 or 6551 ACIA? I'm doing projects at 3.3v, so my standard WDC 65c51s won't work (5V only).

I've searched, but I'm not turning up anything that fits the bill, e.g., one of the projects I found for teensy requires all the Address lines(?). That's not going to happen. Control signals, Data Lines, and register select, i.e. That's all I can do.

Thanks!

Jon

Frankly I wouldn't look at the ACIA. I believe it has been designed with a modem being on the other end, so rts/cts handshaking is useless eg for null modem connections. Also it has no FIFO to reduce the risk of loosing characters.

I'd either look at a UART or, if you endeavor something original, writing a kind of 'fixed' ACIA with good handshaking and FIFO.

André

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:26 pm 

fachat wrote:
Jmstein7 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any microcontroller (PIC18F or 16F, Arduino, ESP32, Teensy, etc.) projects out there that can emulate a 65c51 or 6551 ACIA? I'm doing projects at 3.3v, so my standard WDC 65c51s won't work (5V only).

I've searched, but I'm not turning up anything that fits the bill, e.g., one of the projects I found for teensy requires all the Address lines(?). That's not going to happen. Control signals, Data Lines, and register select, i.e. That's all I can do.

Thanks!

Jon

Frankly I wouldn't look at the ACIA. I believe it has been designed with a modem being on the other end, so rts/cts handshaking is useless eg for null modem connections. Also it has no FIFO to reduce the risk of loosing characters.

I'd either look at a UART or, if you endeavor something original, writing a kind of 'fixed' ACIA with good handshaking and FIFO.

André

But, André, what about for people who already have the ACIA written into a substantial portion of their code? Doesn't it make more sense to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater? At the very least, should it not be register-compatible?

Jon

PS Like so many others here, I love your work!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:23 pm 

Jmstein7 wrote:
fachat wrote:
Jmstein7 wrote:

Thanks!

Jon

André

But, André, what about for people who already have the ACIA written into a substantial portion of their code? Doesn't it make more sense to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater? At the very least, should it not be register-compatible?

Absolutely. I probably missed that this is replicating an existing design.

In that case I'd go for a 'fixed' or even improved ACIA.
Quote:

PS Like so many others here, I love your work!

Many thanks! Great to hear!
André

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:52 pm 

fachat wrote:
Many thanks! Great to hear!
André

You bet! One day, I would love to implement your OS (GeckOS) in a design!

Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 pm 

The basic ACIA function is not complicated. Since I use CPLD in my 6502 and Z80 designs, I generally put a basic ACIA in a 64-macrocell CPLD and still have logic resources left for a small bootstrap ROM and address decodes.

Maybe people are interested in a "65ACIA" where an ACIA fits in ATF1504 and have logic leftover for RAM/ROM/IO decode?
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:55 am 

plasmo wrote:
Maybe people are interested in a "65ACIA" where an ACIA fits in ATF1504 and have logic leftover for RAM/ROM/IO decode?

Could you put a simple "6550 ACIA" in a 22V10, please?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:50 am 

Michael wrote:
plasmo wrote:

Could you put a simple "6550 ACIA" in a 22V10, please?

22V10 only has 10 flip flops; a basic ACIA needs about 40 or so flip flops so hardware ACIA won't fit in a 22V10. However, it may be possible to do bit-bang serial port with a 22V10. A 22V10 plus a shift register may be enough to implement a bare-bone hardware serial receiver and software bit-bang serial transmitter.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 am 

plasmo wrote:
The basic ACIA function is not complicated. Since I use CPLD in my 6502 and Z80 designs, I generally put a basic ACIA in a 64-macrocell CPLD and still have logic resources left for a small bootstrap ROM and address decodes.

Bill

Would love to see this, even stripped down my 6551 takes ~80 macrocells

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 am 

LIV2 wrote:
plasmo wrote:

Bill

Would love to see this, even stripped down my 6551 takes ~80 macrocells

This is the direction I've been thinking of going as well, rather than messing around with a Pico. I am hoping to jam it into a 1504, but if that's too tight there's also the possibility of using a 72 MC XC9572XL (3.3V, but 5V tolerant). The only downside to the 9572XL is that it isn't available in PLCC-44 anymore, but the TQFP-44 isn't too hard to solder; I have two here I mounted on DIP-44 adapters for a previous project. In fact it might even be possible to jam one onto a pin-compatible DIP-28 adapter. If the RS-232 level converter chips are OK with 3.3V it should even work as a drop-in replacement on existing boards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:34 am 

I design in schematic to maximize CPLD resource utilization. Attached is the current schematic of CRC65 CPLD which is EPM7064S, a 64-macrocell CPLD available in PLCC44 package. In this design it contains

64-byte boot ROM
    Double-buffered serial receiver at 115200 N81
    Software bit-bang transmitter operating at 115200 N81
    Compact Flash interface
    I2C interface, bit-bang
    RAM decode

Bill

Attachments:
CRC65_CPLD_schematic.pdf [32.01 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times