6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:42 pm 

It is well known that the 6502 is good to simulate/emulate other processors. A simulator for the 8080 was written in the 70s. It is quite natural to enhance this emulator for the Z80. I have had an experience of converting of the PDP-11 code to the 6502 - it was quite easy. Recently, I have discovered that there was the 6502 software that used code that was a directly converted 8086 assembly! You can read about this in the end of this document.

However we have some mystery about this OS and muLisp for the 6502. The main Apple II archive - apple.asimov.net - doesn't have either Adios-81, or muLisp. :( Thus it seems, this software was actually not released. :( It would be very interesting if somebody can share some information about this topic.

BTW I was able to find muLisp only for the Apple II Z80 card. There was muMath-80 for the Apple II but it didn't use muLisp.

There is another document that shows that muLisp for the 6502 was probably released...

Last edited by litwr on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm 

litwr wrote:
It is well known that the 6502 is good to emulate other processors. An emulator for the 8080 was written in the 70s.

Sorry for the pedantry, but what you are discussing is a simulator, not an emulator. Simulation is done in software, emulation in hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Sorry for the pedantry, but what you are discussing is a simulator, not an emulator. Simulation is done in software, emulation in hardware.

Thank you. It is corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 pm 

litwr wrote:
. Recently, I have discovered that there was the 6502 software that used code that was a directly converted 8086 assembly! You can read about this in the end of this document.

Nice find! Here's the snippet:
Quote:
The 6502 ADIOS version of muSIMP was orginally writen by translating an 8086 version of the interpreter. The 8086 pseudo-registers are stored in page zero in the following locations...

Quote:
There is another document that shows that muLisp for the 6502 was probably released...

Here's the snippet:
Quote:
muMATH and muLISP for the APPLE II Computer. Now available from The Soft Warehouse are full implementations of muMATH-80 and muLISP-80 for the "native" Apple II Computer, not requiring... Z80 SoftCard. Included with the software is ADIOS... a friendly operating environment for muMATH and muLISP.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Sorry for the pedantry, but ...

:rolls eyes:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:04 am 

BigEd wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Sorry for the pedantry, but ...

:rolls eyes:

Don't hurt yourself! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 am 

It ain't what you know, it's what you know that ain't so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:17 am 

litwr wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

It seems that the matter what is an emulator and what is a simulator is controversial - https://www.pagetable.com/?p=824 - so I have just reverted some my corrections.

Last edited by litwr on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:24 am 

Please see our emulator-versus-simulator topic at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2978 . Usage does not trump definition, any more than so many people saying "supposably" or "Valentimes Day" make them correct. They are incorrect, no matter how many times people say them. The same goes for using "who's" (short for "who is," or less often, "who has") if you mean "whose" (meaning relating to or belonging to someone or something), or "your" (meaning belonging to you) if you mean "you're" (a contraction of "you are"). Common error does not make them correct. An emulator always involves hardware. If you can download it, it's not an emulator.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:14 am 

There's plenty of scope for miscorrection, and we see it often in threads like these.

'definition' is more slippery than you might think. If you're over 30, language has probably already changed since you learnt it. If your teachers were over 30 when they laid down the law, they were probably already at variance with usage.

Many of us here are over 50...

This isn't a case of a malapropism, it's a different thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:10 am 

litwr wrote:
litwr wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

It seems that the matter what is an emulator and what is a simulator is controversial - https://www.pagetable.com/?p=824 - so I have just revert some my corrections.

I read that page and saw nothing that is "controversial." Please highlight what you saw that was controversial.

What was being discussed was running software on a 6502 system to simulate the software behavior of the 8080. That's no different than what is done in the Kowalski editor/assembler/simulator, or in WinSIM, the simulator part of Atmel's WinCUPL programmable logic development package.

Unless the 6502 system can be plugged into the 8080's socket and correctly generate and respond to 8080-compatible electrical signals it is not an emulator. Saying "3 = 4" or "up is down" doesn't make it so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:20 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Please see our emulator-versus-simulator topic at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2978 . Usage does not trump definition, any more than so many people saying "supposably" or "Valentimes Day" make them correct. They are incorrect, no matter how many times people say them. The same goes for using "who's" (short for "who is," or less often, "who has") if you mean "whose" (meaning relating to or belonging to someone or something), or "your" (meaning belonging to you) if you mean "you're" (a contraction of "you are"). Common error does not make them correct. An emulator always involves hardware. If you can download it, it's not an emulator.

IMHO word "emulator" is used more often by software people and word "simulator" by hardware people. The latter usually use simulators to design new hardware or to test the existent iron. The former use emulators just as substitutions for hardware. I really don't know what is 100% correct but we know that an exception may be more important than the rule.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:42 am 

Back in the day, a hardware person would be more likely to have come across the idea of an In Circuit Emulator, and a software person would be more likely to have come across the idea of software emulation (often for some compatibility reason.) In both cases, it would be common to use just the one word, and it would be natural to come to think that this is the usual, or even the correct, meaning of that word.

It is also normal for two, three, or four decades to go past, and not to update one's idea of the meanings of words as the world turns.

In the meantime, some millions of people bought and used microcomputers. And more time passed. And now, some large number of people - perhaps millions - will want to play microcomputer games and run microcomputer software on their modern computers and laptops. And the term they use, overwhelmingly, is emulator.

And, despite what an older person might have learned long ago, those people are also right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:51 am 

This is all just re-hashing what's in the three-page emulator-versus-simulator topic at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2978 .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:53 am 

BigEd wrote:
There's plenty of scope for miscorrection, and we see it often in threads like these.

'definition' is more slippery than you might think. If you're over 30, language has probably already changed since you learnt it. If your teachers were over 30 when they laid down the law, they were probably already at variance with usage.

Many of us here are over 50...

This isn't a case of a malapropism, it's a different thing.

While usage in casual conversation may implicitly (re)define the meanings of words over time, resulting in language evolution (and possible loss of mutual understanding in some cases), that is not the case in the sciences, of which electronic design is a part. In science, meanings tend to be static and not subject to change due to popular vernacular. So is the case with "emulate" and "simulate". As Garth indicates, if it is software it is defined as a simulator. If it's hardware whose physical behavior is exactly like or very close to that of the original, it is an emulator.

The distinction between "emulate" and "simulate" has existed in the English language since the mid-seventeenth century. That distinction can be traced back to Latin—the source for "emulate" (first attested c. 1580) is æmulus, and the source for "simulate" (first attested c. 1650) is simulatus.

Quote:
Back in the day, a hardware person would be more likely to have come across the idea of an In Circuit Emulator, and a software person would be more likely to have come across the idea of software emulation (often for some compatibility reason.)

"In-circuit emulator" has had a specific meaning ever since the concept was born. It means attaching a device to the hardware being tested, that device reproducing the exact behavior of what it replaces. That is in contrast with a plain "emulator," which refers to a device that completely replaces another device and produces the identical or nearly-identical behavior of the original.

litwr wrote:
IMHO word "emulator" is used more often by software people and word "simulator" by hardware people. The latter usually use simulators to design new hardware or to test the existent iron. The former use emulators just as substitutions for hardware. I really don't know what is 100% correct but we know that an exception may be more important than the rule.

I've been professionally involved with electronics and computers for more than 50 years and have never heard another professional refer to a "simulator" as an "emulator," or vice versa. The distinction is very clear in computer technology, as well as in many other fields.

For example, aircraft pilots train in "simulators," not "emulators." If training were to occur in an "emulator" it would mean the pilot was in an actual airplane, not in a machine that produces the illusion of being in an airplane. To paraphrase an airline pilot friend of mine who is also an instructor, if you crash the "simulator" you get a second chance. If you crash the "emulator" you don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:08 am 

A simulator gives some sensation that something is real but only partially. You can use a flight simulator to get some real flight sensations but you can't get all the flight sensations via an simulator. On the contrary, an emulator just substitutes things. You can use a computer emulator instead of a real computer. So both words are correct to use about the 6502 emulating/simulating the 8080 because the 6502 with the 8080 simulator software may be used as a real 8080. A simulator imitates only several features of the original but an emulator imitates all important features.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
litwr wrote:
It seems that the matter what is an emulator and what is a simulator is controversial - https://www.pagetable.com/?p=824 - so I have just reverted some my corrections.

I read that page and saw nothing that is "controversial." Please highlight what you saw that was controversial.

The site title is "Emulating the Intel 8080 on a MOS 6502".