6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 am 

Good discussions about overclocking!

I tried the JMP instruction that wrap around 64K boundary. the W65C02 works at 33MHz but failed to execute correctly at 34.5MHz. Screen capture shows when it is operating properly.

I'm driving the W65C02 directly with the output of the can oscillator. I'll try buffer the oscillator output with the CPLD and drive W65C02 with output of CPLD which has faster rise time.
Bill

Code:
;ROM space from 0xC000 to 0xFFFF and from 0x0000-0x3FFF
;Actual ROM is 64 bytes, alias every 64 bytes over the ROM space
;serial port space from 0x4000 to 0xBFFF.  data is at even address, status is at odd address
;  Status d0 is receive data ready; status d1 is transmit empty
SerData = $7001   ;Serial transmit register
SerStat = $7000      ;Serial transmit status
;
   .pc02

.ORG $FFC2
; ROM based test program
; write data out to serial port, then wait for TxEmpty flag
; JMP instruction wrap around 64K boundary
start:
   STX SerData   ;write to serial port
chkTXE:   
   LDA SerStat
   AND #2      ;check transmit empty
   BEQ chkTXE
   INX
   NOP      
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   JMP $FFFF

.org $fffc
   .word start
   .byte 0
   JMP start   ;instruction wrap around 64K.

-----------------------------
Edit:
By buffering oscillator output with CPLD, I'm able to run W65C02 at 36MHz, but I noticed it will crash when voltage is lowered to 4.6V, so it is nearing the edge at 36MHz. By raising voltage above 5.3V, I can run successfully at 40MHz, but that's definitely outside of the commercial operating voltage. All tests are done at room temperature.

Attachments:
overclock_test_output.jpg
overclock_test_output.jpg [ 118.47 KiB | Viewed 2258 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:10 am 

plasmo wrote:
I'm driving the W65C02 directly with the output of the can oscillator. I'll try buffer the oscillator output with the CPLD and drive W65C02 with output of CPLD which has faster rise time.

Are you aware that the CPLD's outputs are likely TTL-level, not CMOS? The 65C02 expects to see CMOS levels on Ø2. Try sticking a 74AC04 or similar in there to boost the clock output, with a metal film resistor on the AC04's output to mitigate ringing—100-120 ohms is a good range to start. The 74AC04's output swings rail-to-rail and has a very short transition time, things that the 65C02 wants to see on Ø2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 am 

On paper EPM7000 has TTL level output, but its output drive VI chart shows it drives to 3.75V. Scope measurement shows it drives to 4V, hard, at room temperature. Probably too fast, so 100 ohm serial source terminating resistor is a good idea.
Bill

Edit, attached graph is from EPM7000 datasheet

Attachments:
EPM7000_drive_characteristic.jpg
EPM7000_drive_characteristic.jpg [ 227.53 KiB | Viewed 2238 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Are you aware that the CPLD's outputs are likely TTL-level, not CMOS? The 65C02 expects to see CMOS levels on Ø2. Try sticking a 74AC04 or similar in there to boost the clock output, with a metal film resistor on the AC04's output to mitigate ringing—100-120 ohms is a good range to start. The 74AC04's output swings rail-to-rail and has a very short transition time, things that the 65C02 wants to see on Ø2.

I tried the resistor thing the other day when I was experimenting, as the ACT’s certainly do have apparent ringing, when compared to LS and even HC. But I couldn’t get rid of the ringing at all. The 100 ohm resistor only either pulled up the voltage or pulled it down, depending on connecting to 5V or ground. I connected it right at the output pin, tried it at the other end, and even on both ends at the same time. Just couldn’t reduce the ringing at all.

Oh and it was asked earlier where I’m from. Aussie here! That will account for the time difference. You guys are in the wrong time zone! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:53 am 

J64C wrote:
I tried the resistor thing the other day when I was experimenting, as the ACT’s certainly do have apparent ringing, when compared to LS and even HC. But I couldn’t get rid of the ringing at all. The 100 ohm resistor only either pulled up the voltage or pulled it down, depending on connecting to 5V or ground. I connected it right at the output pin, tried it at the other end, and even on both ends at the same time. Just couldn’t reduce the ringing at all.

I'm sure BDD meant for you to put it in series with the output. A good layout is best, and if you keep it small enough (ie, so lines can be really short), you shouldn't need any resistors at all. If you do actually make terminations, the Thevenin type would be best, or diode terminations if you can find diodes that are fast enough (with trr below a ns). With the resistor termination, it won't do much good if you don't also control the transmission-line impedance and have somewhat of a match. Getting all of that correct is much harder for a hobbyist than just doing a really compact layout with no signal line more than just a few inches though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 am 

Ah, series! That was about the only thing I didn’t try. Thanks for the clarification.

In this case I’m mainly playing around and experimenting, seeing what works best. I will certainly plan on doing a much better layout in the future though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:51 pm 

Summer growing season is about done. I have 50 gallons of wines fermenting away in the garage; dahlias still in the field waiting for the killing frost so I can dig them up. Sent off a few pc boards to JLCPCB; next I'm returning to the W65C816 overclock experiment. First thing is checking W65C02 still work at 40MHz where I left it, it does. Removing W65C02 and replacing it with W65C816 (Mouser W65C816S6TPG-14) and it still work at 40MHz like nothing changed but power consumption is 15mA higher. Verify E pin is high so W65C816 is in emulation mode after reset as it should.

Hmm, so 0.6u W65C816 can run to 40MHz, at least in the emulation mode. Like W65C02, I found it necessary to raise voltage to 5.2V to have reliable operation with my simple test program which means 40MHz is right at the frequency limit.

Now I need to read the manual to figure out how to run it in native mode...

*******Update*****

Never imagine it would be XCE instruction to switch between emulation and native modes! So here is a modified ROMtest program that prints 256 bytes to console in emulation mode including wrapping around 64K memory boundary and then switches mode to native mode and prints 256 bytes to console and then switches back to emulation mode and repeat.

Code:
;ROM space from 0xC000 to 0xFFFF and from 0x0000-0x3FFF
;Actual ROM is 64 bytes, alias every 64 bytes over the ROM space
;serial port space from 0x4000 to 0xBFFF.  data is at even address, status is at odd address
;  Status d0 is receive data ready; status d1 is transmit empty
SerData = $7001      ;Serial transmit register
SerStat = $7000      ;Serial transmit status
;
   .p816
   .ORG $FFC0
   .word start   ;this is operand of 'JMP start' instruction
         ;wrapped around 64K memory boundary

; ROM based test program
; write data out to serial port, then wait for TxEmpty flag
; JMP instruction wrap around 64K boundary
start:
chkTXE:   
   LDA SerStat
   BEQ chkTXE
   INX
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   BNE $FFFF
   CLC      ;switch to native mode
   XCE
;execution in native mode   
start1:   
chkTXE1:
   LDA SerStat
   BEQ chkTXE1
   INX
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   NOP
   BNE start1   ;do no do instruction wrap around at 64K
   SEC      ;switch to emulation mode
   XCE

JMP $FFFF

.org $fffc
   .word start
;   .byte 0
   JMP start   ;instruction wrap around 64K.

Attached picture is screen capture of the program running at 40MHz @5.3V It appears to run successfully alternating between emulation and native modes. Examine the 'E' output of 65816 I see it toggles between high and low every 22.8mS. Since the serial baud is derived by 40MHz/22 effectively 113600N81 (98.6% of standard baud of 115200), it takes about 22.5mS to transmit 256 bytes, so that's about right.

I think W65C816 CAN run to 40MHz.

Bill

Attachments:
ROMTest65816_switching_modes.jpg
ROMTest65816_switching_modes.jpg [ 123 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 pm 

plasmo wrote:
Summer growing season is about done. I have 50 gallons of wines fermenting away in the garage;

With that much wine on hand you could go on a continuous bender until spring. :D

Quote:
Removing W65C02 and replacing it with W65C816 (Mouser W65C816S6TPG-14) and it still work at 40MHz like nothing changed but power consumption is 15mA higher. Verify E pin is high so W65C816 is in emulation mode after reset as it should.

We'd expect to see elevated power consumption at such a high clock rate. 15mA higher really doesn't sound all that bad. Does the 816 get noticeably warm at that speed?

Quote:
Hmm, so 0.6u W65C816 can run to 40MHz, at least in the emulation mode. Like W65C02, I found it necessary to raise voltage to 5.2V to have reliable operation with my simple test program which means 40MHz is right at the frequency limit.

How fast will it run at an even 5 volts? Also, it would be interesting to see how fast the 816 can be run at 3.3 volts.

Quote:
So here is a modified ROMtest program that prints 256 bytes to console in emulation mode including wrapping around 64K memory boundary and then switches mode to native mode and prints 256 bytes to console and then switches back to emulation mode and repeat.

I wouldn't expect any difference with either mode. It's the same ALU doing the same work.

In passing, note that switching between emulation and native modes on a system that has interrupts running is risky. If your interrupt handler expects the 816 to be in native more and it is in emulation mode when an IRQ hits you're likely going to be reaching for the reset push button.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:31 am 

50 gallons make 250 bottles, just enough for a nice Christmas party. :lol: Many of my cousins are deficient in aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) so they can have continuous bender all winter long with just one bottle of wine. Apparently I don't have that genetic deficiency.

I'm limited by the oscillators I have on hand, the next lower frequency I have is 36MHz. W65C816 will run down to 4.5V (the trip voltage of reset supervisor) with 36MHz oscillator. The current consumption of oscillator, CPLD, and W65C816 at 5V 36MHz is 214mA. By comparison, the current consumption is 151mA at 5V, 7.37MHz clock. Some of that current difference may be due to different oscillators, however.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:44 am 

plasmo, have you done any experiments to see how fast you could take it while decoding and using the bank address?

I half suspect the extra current draw you're seeing (above that of the '02) is from the short blasts of bus contention Jeff illustrated at viewtopic.php?p=24250#p24250 .

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:55 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I half suspect the extra current draw you're seeing (above that of the '02) is from the short blasts of bus contention Jeff illustrated at viewtopic.php?p=24250#p24250 .

Did you take a moment to do the math, Garth? Contention will certainly increase current draw, but Bill's figures don't clearly imply contention. When he boosted the clock frequency to 488% (36/7.37 MHz) the current consumption only increased to 142% (214/151 mA).

If there are blasts of contention I'd expect the current drain from that to scale with frequency. Bill's rig may indeed suffer an increase due to contention, but if so it's obscured by other, much larger current drains which vary only slightly, or not at all, according to clock rate. The CPLD is an obvious suspect, along with the oscillator and probably RAM, too.

ETA: in case anyone's wondering, the 42% increase can be largely or entirely explained by the normal and inevitable charging and discharging of capacitive loads in the circuit, including the internal logic of the '816. (The resultant current drain scales with frequency.)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:37 pm 

Ah yes, I overlooked the part about "151mA at 5V, 7.37MHz." The oscillator current (which you mention) may be a major factor affecting the overall one way or another though. I have not bought can oscillators in decades; but I remember they at least used to often take huge amounts of current, like 75mA or more, just for the oscillator! I have not looked at more-recent offerings to see if the supply current has become more reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:36 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Ah yes, I overlooked the part about "151mA at 5V, 7.37MHz." The oscillator current (which you mention) may be a major factor affecting the overall one way or another though. I have not bought can oscillators in decades; but I remember they at least used to often take huge amounts of current, like 75mA or more, just for the oscillator! I have not looked at more-recent offerings to see if the supply current has become more reasonable.

The oscillators that I use in my POC units draw 33-35 mA.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:12 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
plasmo, have you done any experiments to see how fast you could take it while decoding and using the bank address?

I, too, am curious about this.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:21 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:

Garth,
While a bare minimum W65C816 seems to run stable to 36MHz or even 40MHz, in one example of real world hardware with banked RAM, CF storage and expansion bus, it appears to peak out around 25MHz. This real world hardware is revised CRC65that accommodates both W65C02 and W65C816. When in W65C816 mode it can access the 2nd half of 128K RAM via a bank latch implemented in CPLD. It is still a very simple design but does have more components than the simple overclocking test bed. Perhaps the added loads or perhaps the contention that your post referring to resulted in much lower peak clock. I have not investigated further into the causes.
Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next