6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: EOL NXP UARTs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 pm 

I received a notice today that NXP has change the status of their products that are supplied in PLCC packages to "end-of-life." This includes the 28x9x UART series. This EOL notice was not unexpected and is part of a general industry trend to move away from the PLCC package and concentrated on the smaller (and less hobby-friendly) packages. I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of this in the coming months, and even WDC may decide to EOL PLCC-44 versions of their products.

A quick look-up on Mouser's site shows the NXP SC28L92A1A,518, which is the PLCC-44 version of the 28L92, is EOL. Paradoxically, they've got several thousand on order, so for now, there will remain a supply.

The other versions of the 28L92, such as the one in QFP-44 packaging, remain in production. QFP-44 has 0.8mm (0.031") lead pitch, versus the 1.27mm (0.050") pitch of the PLCC package. Unfortunately, the QFP package can't be socketed.

Post subject: Re: EOL NXP UARTs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:46 am 

I suppose it's inevitable that some of these older package types will be discontinued. They do require more materials to implement. The move to eliminate them is driven partly by cost and the continued shift to higher levels of integration that can only be achieved through the use of smaller packages which likely leads to reduced demand for PLCC-packaged components.

On the bright side, the lack of a socket for the QFP packages likely means that some additional reflection will be required in regards to the design and the layout before releasing boards for fabrication. :) On the not so bright side, I'll probably have to start redesigning some of the legacy products we support if we want to keep them in production. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 pm 

There might also be a component of OEMs making things harder to repair at play. I know that's cynical thinking but there does seem to be a strong push from a lot of industries trying to take away our ability to repair our own property.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 pm 

BillO wrote:
There might also be a component of OEMs making things harder to repair at play. I know that's cynical thinking but there does seem to be a strong push from a lot of industries trying to take away our ability to repair our own property.

Consumer electronics have been that way for years. I can't recall the last time I saw a TV set that even a trained technician could fix. It's a far cry from the days when we would pull the tubes when the TV was on the fritz and go to the local drug store to use the tube tester that many of them had at the time. They even had tubes in stock should the tube tester tell you the one you just checked was failing.