6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:47 am 

In rev 2 of my 6502 build, I used PHI2 out as a clock source for my memory decoding and clock source for the VIA and ACIA instead of using the crystal oscillator directly, as in my previous build did. I immediately had all sorts of weird behaviors. All my wiring checked out.

It turns out that for some strange reason, IRQs would start executing. And no external IRQ was triggering them.

So I switched back to using the crystal can directly, instead of relying on PHI2 out.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 am 

It's easy to speculate or simply guess wildly about what's happening, but we'll have much better feedback if you can link us to as much info as possible (schematic, photos, etc) re this rev 2 of your build! :wink:

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:23 am 

fredericsegard wrote:
In rev 2 of my 6502 build, I used PHI2 out as a clock source for my memory decoding and clock source for the VIA and ACIA instead of using the crystal oscillator directly, as in my previous build did. I immediately had all sorts of weird behaviors...

As Jeff noted, it's hard to draw any kind of conclusions or even make WAGs when lacking a schematic. Photos of 'scope traces would also be helpful.

That said, I will refer you to WDC's caveat in the 65C02 data sheet about using the two clock outputs:

An external oscillator is recommended for driving PHI2 and used for the main system clock. All production test timing is based on PHI2. PHI2O and PHI1O were used in older systems for system timing and internal oscillators when an external crystal was used.

PHI2 (Ø2) is the clock input, which should be wired to a CMOS oscillator or to a flop driven by an oscillator. That same signal should drive the Ø2 inputs of any 65xx peripherals, such as the 65C22, and also should be used to qualify write accesses to RAM and non-65xx peripherals. I don't recommend using Ø2 as part of the address decoding logic.

Further on, the data sheet offers the following:

PHI1O and PHI2O clock delay from PHI2 is no longer specified or tested and WDC recommends using an oscillator for system time base and PHI2 processor input clock.

In other words, WDC does not recommend using PHI1O and PHI2O because those two outputs lag Ø2 by an unspecified amount and therefore could lead to timing contretemps. They don't even guarantee that the two signals are 180 degrees out of phase. BTW, it's telling that those signals were eliminated from the 65C816.

I'm not saying that use of those signals is why your unit is misbehaving, but absent anything else, it could be the reason.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:08 pm 

fredericsegard wrote:
I immediately had all sorts of weird behaviors.
"Weird behavior" can often be traced back to a (C)MOS input that, for whatever reason, has been left floating rather than connected to something. Flaky connections deserve mention, too. But another popular cause of weird behavior is power supply problems, including bypass capacitor issues. In your case it's this theory that kinda gets my Spider Sense tingling.

Lots of folks were successful using the old style clocking scheme, so I don't feel it's likely your problem originates there. Instead (and no offense intended), I suspect you've built something that works, but only just barely. Due to some unnoticed issue -- power supply, or perhaps layout problems? -- the thing is always teetering on the brink of failure. Switching the clock source just happens to exert a tiny push in one direction or the other. But we'll see! :)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:40 am 

Quote:
In other words, WDC does not recommend using PHI1O and PHI2O because those two outputs lag Ø2 by an unspecified amount and therefore could lead to timing contretemps. They don't even guarantee that the two signals are 180 degrees out of phase. BTW, it's telling that those signals were eliminated from the 65C816.

Well, it's definitely my bad for not fully reading the datasheets. That'll teach me. :oops: Everything is back to normal ever since I stopped using PHI2out.

Quote:
Lots of folks were successful using the old-style clocking scheme, so I don't feel it's likely your problem originates there. Instead (and no offense intended), I suspect you've built something that works, but only just barely. Due to some unnoticed issue -- power supply, or perhaps layout problems? -- the thing is always teetering on the brink of failure. Switching the clock source just happens to exert a tiny push in one direction or the other.

No offense taken. :) I also changed my power supply, a MeanWell 5V 4A fixed output with 22AWG solid core wires going to my breadboard (compared to a somewhat flaky variable PSU using premade 26AWG jumpers). I already had decoupling capacitors for all the chips. But I added 10µF capacitors on each individual breadboard rails. Power readings (multimeter and scope) are very stable now.

For now, everything is rock solid. I haven't pushed my system beyond 2MHz yet. It is after all still in breadboard format. And when I reattach the TMS9918A, it's top speed is 2MHz anyway. But I'll have to read the datasheet when the time comes to see if I can push the VDP beyond this speed.

PS: I just received a pair of TMS9928A chips. I might put one of them instead othe 18A. Apparently (I saw this on YouTube), you can wire component video to a VGA monitor??? I'll have to test that theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8g9OF8lyY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:40 pm 

Well, I'll add my $0.02 as well... My older W65C02 setup uses the Phase 2 clock output for all timing to a W65C22 and W65C51 as well as the 74HC logic and the RAM/EEPROM read/write signals. I have clock speeds running from 4MHz to 10MHz without any issue on multiple boards. So if changing this on your system results in a stability problem, I'd agree with Jeff that something else is on the edge. But hey, you can't really argue with success... so if you've managed to get it sorted out, all good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 pm 

Yes, glad to hear you're having some success! But it doesn't seem as if we learned anything concrete (so far). Do you mind some followup questions?

Quote:
Power readings (multimeter and scope) are very stable now.
Were they not stable prior to adding the 10 uF, the better PSU and the 22AWG wiring?

And, just to see what happens, how about temporarily switching back to the old-style clocking scheme using the CPU's Phase 2 clock output? Would that be an awkward experiment, or pretty easy?

-- Jeff

PS- still would like to see a photo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Well, I'll add my $0.02 as well... My older W65C02 setup uses the Phase 2 clock output for all timing to a W65C22 and W65C51 as well as the 74HC logic and the RAM/EEPROM read/write signals. I have clock speeds running from 4MHz to 10MHz without any issue on multiple boards. So if changing this on your system results in a stability problem, I'd agree with Jeff that something else is on the edge. But hey, you can't really argue with success... so if you've managed to get it sorted out, all good.

Did the data sheet for the older parts support using PHI2O?

For what it's worth, I find using the clock as PHI2 is even advantageous with the older NMOS and CMOS designs. The effect of doing this has resulted in higher over clocking speeds, but more importantly, older 65C51s rated at 2MHz will run reliably at much higher frequencies. I have even used older 65C51s with new W65C02s at speeds above 19MHz. I do plan to do more study on this ... but it will have to wait until winter set's in. More time on the weekends then. Actually, I'd love to have someone lese collaborate on the results as the older 65C51s are plentiful, cheap and don't have the TX bug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:52 pm 

Hi Bill,

I do recall some earlier posts (from you) that noted very high clock rates with older 65(c)51 chips. I have a collection of original NMOS 6551 (Rockwell and Syntertek) and some older Rockwell R65C51P4 chips along with some new WDC chips (with the TX bug) and some other that Bill Mensch sent some years ago (various unreleased chips, but sans the TX bug).

As for the older NMOS parts, I managed 6MHz reliably with the Syntertek part, but no more. The Rockwell CMOS (4MHz rated) chips will typically survive 5MHz but no more. I wouldn't expect switching from the clock output on the CPU to the same clock driving the CPU to make a significant difference.

I guess my question for you is: Are you running the 65C51 chips with interrupt-driven I/O or polled I/O? I think that could make a difference in chip response times... but I'm sorta guessing :shock:

I think most of us (from the 70's & 80's) just used the phase 2 clock out from the CPU as that's what Commodore did on their machines... seemed like it was intended for that, but I'll have to dig out some older datasheets to see what they show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:05 pm 

floobydust wrote:
I think most of us (from the 70's & 80's) just used the phase 2 clock out from the CPU as that's what Commodore did on their machines... seemed like it was intended for that, but I'll have to dig out some older datasheets to see what they show.

The clock outputs were there because most of the clock generators in those days had relatively-weak fanout and the loading of the MPU was about all that could be tolerated. That's primarily why they were used.

Also, at the 1 or 2 MHz speeds that clocked 6502s back then, the lag from Ø2 in to Ø1/Ø2 out was not a concern. In some cases, designers took advantage of the skew between Ø2 in and the output clocks to get more favorable timing conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:08 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Hi Bill,
I guess my question for you is: Are you running the 65C51 chips with interrupt-driven I/O or polled I/O? I think that could make a difference in chip response times... but I'm sorta guessing :shock:

Polled I/O. I've actually never tried interrupt-driven serial I/O on a 6502.

I've also never tried drastically over-clocking a NMOS 6551. Might add that into my experiments (if I can find one in my stash).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:47 pm 

BillO wrote:
floobydust wrote:
Hi Bill,

Polled I/O. I've actually never tried interrupt-driven serial I/O on a 6502

You don't know what you're missing! :D

A receiver-side IRQ is quite easy to process. You start by reading the UART's status register (which also clears it), save a copy for later, test the register value to see if there's a datum waiting (bit 3) and if so, read it and stash it into a queue for access by the foreground. Your ISR then goes on to something else or terminates—no reason to hang around, since serial I/O is very slow from the MPU's perspective.

Transmitting on a WDC 65C61 can't be done via IRQs or via polling.

Transmitting on a non-WDC 65C51 involves checking to see if the transmitter is ready for a datum—you get that info from bit 4 of the saved copy of the UART's status register. If the transmitter is ready you have come to a fork in the road, so to speak.

If there are datums awaiting transmission, you grab the oldest one from the queue and write it to the UART. Your ISR then goes on to something else or terminates.

If there are no datums awaiting transmission, your ISR would disable the TxD IRQ and set a flag somewhere saying it is disabled. Otherwise, the UART will continuously hold IRQ down and your system will go into deadlock. Later on when more datums are ready for transmission, your foreground process must check the flag and if set, re-enable TxD IRQs and also clear the flag (TRB and TSB are handy for manipulating flags). The UART will immediately interrupt because the transmitter is empty, and now you can send.

Nothing to it! BTW, a UART that has receiver and transmitter FIFOs is far more efficient than the 65C51, as such a UART doesn't interrupt on each datum sent or received, assuming proper configuration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 am 

I also run interrupt-driven exclusively... very nice this way. If you want to try it with a 6551, you can easily try my Micromon code... you need at least a couple KB of RAM at the bottom, a couple KB of ROM at the top and define your base I/O address for the 6551... that's it.

https://github.com/floobydust/Micromon-V1.2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:38 pm 

The reason I have not tried interrupts on serial is because I usually have other uses for my interrupt inputs, which brings us to another point. Does anyone have a hardware/software method to arbitrate interrupts from many devices? A lot of times 2 inputs seems likea huge drawback.

I've been intending to try your monitor Flooby. There just always seems to be other stuff .. my project list is deep and I have to keep re-juggling my priorities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:57 pm 

BillO wrote:
The reason I have not tried interrupts on serial is because I usually have other uses for my interrupt inputs, which brings us to another point. Does anyone have a hardware/software method to arbitrate interrupts from many devices? A lot of times 2 inputs seems likea huge drawback.

I've been intending to try your monitor Flooby. There just always seems to be other stuff .. my project list is deep and I have to keep re-juggling my priorities.

Well, there are some out here that have designed some hardware to handle multiple hardware interrupts... however, I've used software to manage multiple interrupts. Even my Micromon is extendable for this, but I would likely suggest using my current 3.04 BIOS, which supports a NXP SCC2691 UART (for Rxd, Txd, Timer and Break) and extends the interrupt handler for the CF Card as well.

Granted, there is some clock cycle overhead this way, but it's still pretty minimal, especially with a faster CPU clock. You can also change the priority of IRQ handlers by swapping the vectors around... I've tried to keep it simple.

Quick link to the latest BIOS is here:

https://github.com/floobydust/CF-Card-R ... d/Software