6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving to PLCC 65c02
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 am 

Hi guys

A while ago I decided to move from DIP to PLCC for CPU, VIA and logic. I did my best at the time to route the buses but found it difficult at best with some very poor results.
I've decided to revist this and was wondering what people think of having a central address & data bus and then drop lines from the ICs to the bus? My main concern is the bus line lengths as this will obviously extend them.

Here's an example of the one I've just started:

Attachment:
PLCC-bus.jpg
PLCC-bus.jpg [ 147.21 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]

If the above isn't a good approach can anyone suggest a better one?

Post subject: Re: Moving to PLCC 65c02
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:36 pm 

Don't worry about wire lengths. At these speeds, a few extra inches is insignificant, and a whole circuit board up to a foot across can be considered a "lumped element". Remember, at 100MHz a resonant dipole antenna is 3 metres long, and that gets proportionately longer as the speed gets slower.

I have not attempted to route a PCB based on QFP or PLCC-socket versions of these chips. I think it should be possible to do a decent job, assuming a 4-layer board. However, a branch off a well-defined bus is a valid technique, though it will definitely increase your via count.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm 

banedon wrote:
Hi guys

A while ago I decided to move from DIP to PLCC for CPU, VIA and logic. I did my best at the time to route the buses but found it difficult at best with some very poor results...If the above isn't a good approach can anyone suggest a better one?

I don't know that my layout method is "better" but it is stable at 20 MHz, with the 65C818 in PLCC and discrete logic in DIP. This is on a four-layer board.

Attachment:
File comment: POC V1.2 Printed Circuit Board
poc_v1.2_pcb.gif
poc_v1.2_pcb.gif [ 98.38 KiB | Viewed 780 times ]

As Chromatix notes, we are not running our stuff fast enough to give rise to transmission line effects. Where you need to be most cautious in your layout is in power and ground distribution. A four-layer board makes it easier to route your unit because you don't have to worry about sandwiching Vcc and ground in between signal traces. As the costs to have four-layer boards have come down quite a bit with the Asian board houses, I'd give that some consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:47 pm 

I observe that, on both the DIP and square packages, the address and data lines are in a neat sequential order. The PLCC socket brings them out to two rings of pins, but careful choice of which side of each pin to run traces should allow keeping the traces in that sequential order without additional vias.

The only wrinkle arises when you need to route the address lines to a JEDEC memory device - but that is par for the course.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 am 

Chromatix wrote:
Remember, at 100MHz a resonant dipole antenna is 3 metres long, and that gets proportionately longer as the speed gets slower.

100MHz is 3m in free air. A half wave is 1.5m. Again, that's in free air. On a PCB, the signal speed is approximately two-thirds of the speed, making a half wave only 1m long. That's at 100MHz, a sine wave, not a square wave. A decent squarish wave for digital will have frequency content at least ten times that high, due to the fast rise time, so 1GHz, where a wavelength is about a foot. (I know a square wave with a perfect 50% duty cycle will only have odd harmonics, and the clock line is where symmetry would be most important, if even then; but you get the idea.) 74ACxx can give a rise time as short as a nanosecond or two; in fact, National's datasheets for 74AC parts give a minimum propagation delay of 1ns which includes the output slew time. 1ns is the half wave of 500MHz. The signal travels about 8" per nanosecond across a PCB with a ground plane.

In this article, Dr. Howard Johnson says,
Quote:
"How do you know when a terminator is needed? The ratio of trace delay to rise time is the first clue. Terminations are almost always required when the trace delay exceeds the logic rise time. Many people take an even more conservative approach, installing terminations when trace delay exceeds one-fourth, or even one-sixth, of the logic rise time."
One-fourth the logic rise time of 1ns is only two inches. If you use 74ACxx, you'll need to keep the board pretty small if you want to be sure you stay out of trouble without terminators. (And note that terminators don't do any good if they're not done correctly.) If you can keep the board below 6" square, you'll probably do fine; but fast parts will dictate that you do need to pay attention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:27 am 

Although it's true that anything not a sine wave has harmonics as high as bandwidth allows, it's surely not true that any particular number of harmonics are important. What's important are things like monotonicity, overshoot, edge rate: and for the most part, important only for clocks and strobes, not for signals in general.

Outside of audio and RF and modulated data, for the most part we are not transporting waveforms: we are transporting levels (usually) and edges (sometimes). Waveforms are just another way of looking at the physical system.

(I'm not saying any observation is wrong here, I'm saying that not all observations are equally important. There are different ways to look at physical systems.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:45 am 

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'll have a think on this and do some mapping of the pins used on each device for the busses. I've noticed that an additional downside of having a bus as I originally described is that it takes much more space. As I'm using Eagle I'm limited to 160mmx100mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:05 am 

That's about 4"x6". My workbench computer is on a board the 4.5"x6.5" and has 18 DIP ICs on it, not counting the mezzanine board, the LCD, or plug-in modules. Connectors, LEDs, keypad, and DIP switches are extra. That includes the board-edge connector which takes about half inch of the length. The board is wire-wrapped, so in a sense there's no limit to the number of "layers"; but note that probably all PCB manufacturers today can reliably to .006" trace & space without charging extra, and you can get four traces between DIP IC pads that way! This is with pads .045"x.055" and .006" traces (.030" holes, IIRC):

Attachment:
4tracesThruDIP.gif
4tracesThruDIP.gif [ 8.68 KiB | Viewed 668 times ]

IOW, I think that if you do "creative cramming," you can still get a lot on that size of board, even without going to multilayer. Actually, there's a way to put parts on both sides even with thru-hole DIPs (and obviously you can with SMT).