6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:32 pm 

After reading many tutorials, I'm at something that I haven't seen in one.
See the attached photos. image2 is the sprite and image1 is how the sprite looks on the screen.
What am I missing?

Attachments:
image1.png
image1.png [ 1.59 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]
image2.png
image2.png [ 391 Bytes | Viewed 1297 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 pm 

Assuming this is a Commodore 64, you are missing the "MOB Multicolor Sel" bit in $D01C.

You need to get hold of the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide and read the parts that are relevant to what you're doing. In this case, page 442. That whole appendix will tell you everything you need to know about C64 graphics.

Back in the Olden Days we didn't have tutorials. We had the PRG and a willingness to experiment, and that was more than enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:04 am 

Moreover, the manuals written back in the day (especially by Commodore) were specifically intended to be a standalone, comprehensive, digestable guide to everything standard that the machine could do, written for enthusiasts wanting to learn home computing from scratch. They're made exactly for this sort of situation.

The piecemeal tutorials online are often written by people who are trying to learn themselves, and are often incomplete or written from misunderstanding. Even if they're written by somebody who knows their stuff, they usually gloss over the "well known" parts and don't establish the basics as well as the manuals do.

The user's guide and PRG are available in multiple places & formats online, including archive.org. (Page 135 is the explanatory section with examples, pg 442 is the reference)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:01 am 

Thanks guys. And thanks for your patience too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:23 am 

(It might be a good idea to put, say, [C64] in a topic title if it's a C64 specific topic. There are a host of 6502 systems and projects of interest here, and many of us are not primed for machine-specific questions.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:18 pm 

BigEd wrote:
(It might be a good idea to put, say, [C64] in a topic title if it's a C64 specific topic. There are a host of 6502 systems and projects of interest here, and many of us are not primed for machine-specific questions.)

Noted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:43 pm 

DanielS wrote:
BigEd wrote:

Noted.

You can go back to your head post and click "Edit" and change the title. I did it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
DanielS wrote:
BigEd wrote:

Noted.

You can go back to your head post and click "Edit" and change the title. I did it for you.

Thanks Garth. I'll remember that next time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:16 am 

I will say that there doesn't seem to be any good, major Commodore 64 specific forum out there anymore. Lemon has terrible moderation, allowing tons of misinformation; CSDb is semi-private and intended for those editing the database; and other major one I know of is non-English.

So do feel free to continue posting 64 topics, especially as it relates to 6502 concerns. There's plenty of Apple II discussion and other platforms that occur here as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 am 

White Flame wrote:
I will say that there doesn't seem to be any good, major Commodore 64 specific forum out there anymore. Lemon has terrible moderation, allowing tons of misinformation; CSDb is semi-private and intended for those editing the database; and other major one I know of is non-English.

I haven't paid much attention, but in looking around now, I'm surprised to find that that's the case, which is strange considering the C64 is the greatest-selling computer of all time. One I do know of is the MeWe.com COMMODORE 8-BIT group which I'm on. MeWe is like facebook but doesn't try to be the arbiter of truth like facebook does. It's still very small and doesn't have that many users, since facebook came earlier and got so well entrenched. Groups of this type are not nearly as nice as a phpBB forum though where things are categorized and easily searchable and allow formatting and the inlining of pictures, etc..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:44 am 

I'm certainly happy to see platform-specific conversations here, so long as they are 6502-related. It just helps to have a bit of context, and it's a sign of mutual respect too, to acknowledge the breadth of the 6502 world: Acorn, Apple, Atari, Commodore, OSI, Rockwell, Tangerine, and so on - as well as homebrew systems, consoles, and so on.

(The other thing is that this is a technical forum: it's not a place for advocacy, platform wars, flames, or belittlement. Being platform-neutral, or platform-universal, helps that.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:07 am 

I didn't care for lemon64. That's why I made an account here. And going by the help I've received I made the right choice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm 

White Flame wrote:

So do feel free to continue posting 64 topics, especially as it relates to 6502 concerns. There's plenty of Apple II discussion and other platforms that occur here as well.

Going to chime in on this. Lemon64 USED to be my Go-To location for all things C64. But it's become a cesspool of jerks over the last few years. I was recently the victim of one such jerk over there (it's happened several times). So I no longer will use Lemon64 for anything other maybe some game information. I won't contribute to it any more.

AtariAge is a good place most of the time. That's where I go for Apple, Tandy, Atari and TI stuff.
I like this forum for hardware and general purpose 6502 although many people on here are familiar with the C64.

This place (and AtariAge) have great moderators.

I will mention one more place that I go often for C64 related stuff (and some misc), and that is Shallan50K's Discord.

https://discord.gg/rbCwgY

Discord might not be your thing (if you're offended by foul language that is...lol). But those guys are amazing and bend over backwards to help you out. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Anyway, sorry to take this OT. The C64 deserves a good forum home. Maybe we could get a new forum added here and start pulling some of the *NICE* people away from Lemon?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:43 pm 

DanielS wrote:
After reading many tutorials, I'm at something that I haven't seen in one.
See the attached photos. image2 is the sprite and image1 is how the sprite looks on the screen.
What am I missing?

DanielS,

I'm going to promote Shallan one more time. :-) I wanted to mention he has an excellent YouTube series on making a game from scratch on a Commodore 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzBr0B ... pT&index=1

I've been following his videos for a while and they are very informative.

Anyway, just FYI if you're into C64.