6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: R65C02P4 fake chips
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
On another subject, the sad truth is that increasing numbers of modern 5 volt CMOS devices (example: many RAMs, and at least one CPLD I'm aware of) do not produce rail-to-rail voltage swings on their outputs. The logic high falls short of Vcc, as BDD noted.
At what current though? A memory chip in a pretty large all CMOS environment might have a load of only 40 or 50 uA to push the lines high. Input load current on CMOS devices is typically 1uA or less.

Now if I look at the specs of an AMD AM27C010 (not all that new (1998), but the datasheet is here on my desk) it is specified to deliver a Voh of 2.4V or better at -400uA. You'd never see loads like that in a all CMOS environment unless there was severe bus contention or an outright short to another line. However, someone reading that spec sheet might think they can't be guaranteed things will work right in a CMOS environment because 2.4V is out of spec. That's simply not the case. As the load goes down, the voltage rises.

However, that -400uA is there to tell you this will be able to work in a TTL environment (read - any environment). Some data sheets make this clearer. If you look at the sheet for the newer ST M27C1001 (2006), they spell it out clearly giving you two Voh figures. Voh TTL as 2.4V or better at -400uA and Voh CMOS as Vcc-.7V or better at -100uA. -100uA would be an enormous load in an all CMOS design.

Now, if a data sheet showed Voh of 2.4V at -100uA, I'd might start to get worried about using that device in my heart-lung machine. but for a hobby application where I have maybe 5 or 6 CMOS loads on a line, I wouldn't loose much sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:27 pm 

BillO wrote:
Dr Jefyll wrote:
On another subject, the sad truth is that increasing numbers of modern 5 volt CMOS devices (example: many RAMs, and at least one CPLD I'm aware of) do not produce rail-to-rail voltage swings on their outputs. The logic high falls short of Vcc, as BDD noted.
At what current though? A memory chip in a pretty large all CMOS environment might have a load of only 40 or 50 uA to push the lines high. Input load current on CMOS devices is typically 1uA or less.

[snip]

However, that -400uA is there to tell you this will be able to work in a TTL environment (read - any environment). Some data sheets make this clearer. If you look at the sheet for the newer ST M27C1001 (2006), they spell it out clearly giving you two Voh figures. Voh TTL as 2.4V or better at -400uA and Voh CMOS as Vcc-.7V or better at -100uA. -100uA would be an enormous load in an all CMOS design.

The current capability isn't just about feeding the DC loads; it also affects how long it will take to charge up the bus capacitance to a particular voltage. I have neither seen nor tested TTL outputs' current capability pulling up through the whole range, to draw a curve. Obviously it pulls up to 2v or 2.4V pretty quickly, meaning it can supply a reasonable output current at the lower voltages, particularly below 2V to charge up the bus capacitance. However, if, at 2.4V, it can truly only supply 400µA (which is the minimum guaranteed, possibly well under the typical), charging up a 50pF load will take 125ns to make it up the next volt to 3.4V (not even 3.5), and I expect the current drops off even further after it gets above 2.4V, further lengthening that time. Maximum clock rates then will be greatly reduced. I have measured WDC's CMOS outputs however to be able to do 19mA even at 4.2V, with a 5V supply, and 50mA at 0V. Their curve allows you to charge up 50pF through the first 3V in under 4ns (assuming near-instantaneous switching and a board layout that does not let ground and Vcc connection inductance get in the way substancially).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
gbm, I'm a little uncertain, and other may be, too. You seem to imply that the screen shots you posted reveal info based on signals from a real, physical '816... but you didn't actually say so (and the line up top about "Software-Defined Computer" confuses the matter by sounding like a simulation instead). Can you be explicit please regarding all the details of what's in the scree shots? Thanks.

I described my SDC design some time ago. Please look up these topics:
SDC_One: forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5053
SDC_Zero: forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5371

It's a simulated computer with a very real, non-simulated CPU and hardware monitor providing bus-cycle based single-stepping. It's perfect as a CPU exerciser - for discovering all those nasty details, like interrupt-related bug in Soviet 8080 clones, or peculiarities of 6502 stack operations. ;)

Regarding the mode outputs on 816 - it's not a timing issue, it's the detail of logic design - X status change is delayed, it reflects the state of X AFTER fetching the instruction already influenced by new value of X, not during that fetch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:00 am 

Chromatix wrote:
Okay, question for my own purposes: is there a difference in the behaviour of the MX signal between the old 65816 and the current one? Running the same code sequence on a genuine current '816 and carefully sampling the signal should answer that question. It's a test I can incorporate into the 6502 Fake Finder, if there is indeed a detectable difference.

To answer my own question, the current WDC datasheet shows this:
Quote:
7.7 MX Output
The MX output reflects the value of the M and X bits of the processor Status Register. The REP, SEP and PLP instructions may change the state of the M and X bits. Note that the MX output is invalid during the instruction cycle following REP, SEP and PLP instruction execution. This cycle is used as the opcode fetch cycle of the next instruction.

This seems to be consistent with the behaviour seen above.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:49 am 

...which should be ok, since it won't matter until you're fetching or storing an operand, right? (It shouldn't matter if the next instruction is TXA for example, since it does not involve any activity outside the processor.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:16 am 

It *does* matter, if you consider the M, X and E bits to be extensions of the opcode byte, and have a circuit design that relies on latching and decoding that opcode all in one go. I'm fairly sure these signals were provided as part of support for external coprocessors, which were supposed to cue off the COP and WDM opcodes - and even for internal coprocessors, in the form of the cancelled 65832. But I think it's fairly hard to design a useful coprocessor that way.

This artefact is fairly difficult to understand even *after* accounting for the overlap of execution with opcode fetch. SEP and REP are 3-cycle instructions which, nominally, perform a simple logical equation on a register which is often updated during 2-cycle instructions. The third cycle could be explained as a desire to have the MX bits stable *before* performing an opcode fetch, but that isn't the case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 pm 

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but some acetone and a q-tip can reveal some fake chips. At least chips that have been resurfaced.

:-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:07 am 

Chromatix wrote:
Okay, here's a dainty little 20-byte program which can distinguish between four core families upon the behaviour of the $47 opcode....

So I finally tried this out on my Apple IIc and, surprise! it prints an "S."

It seems that my IIc has a 65SC02, missing the bit-manipulation instructions. I'd never heard this anywhere; it it expected? Was the IIe the same?

Unfortunately, the photographs I took when I last opened it up turn out to be too low resolution to see the chip markings, so I guess I'll need to open it up again to figure out what's really in it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:28 am 

It's not completely unexpected, at least. The BBC Master came with a CMD G65SC12-2, with an R65C102-P4 reserved for the Second Processor daughtercard in the Master Turbo. The Rockwell instructions are not as useful in practice as they might sound, as they can only be used on zero-page, without any indexing. A lot of people loosely describe the 65SC02 (and many other minor 65xx family variants) as a 65C02, even though that's not quite correct.

According to Wikipedia, the original version of the ][e came with an NMOS 6502, while the later "enhanced" versions came with a CMOS version made by NCR or GTE. These latter would have been 65SC02s internally, even though they were printed 65C02 in the case of NCR; NCR did also make a Rockwell-compatible 65C02, but called it a 65CX02.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:40 am 

There's a photo on the web of the innards of a IIc showing a GTE part G65SC02P-2:
https://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/c ... le-iic/46/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:40 pm 

Another failed purchase... :(
Recently I ordered two pieces of R65C02P4 on eBay. Having bad experience with Chinese sellers lately, I decided to buy them in the UK (this auction to be precise). I received a package maybe a week ago, not I had some time to test them in my homemade computer and on breadboard (freerun NOP test). Unfortunately none of them works.
Chips were described as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item" but there are slightly visible scratch marks on the bottom side of each chip which suggests disasembly. There is also inconsistency about the place of production: stabdard "MEXICO" is printed on the top side, but there is small marking with "TAIWAN" pressed in plastic on the bottom side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:09 pm 

Get a refund, if you can. If you can't, leave negative feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22 pm 

If you don't want them I'd like to try them on my system and see what it detects.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 pm 

Atlantis wrote:
Another failed purchase...

The likelihood of these being fakes was immediately obvious from the photos attached to the auction. The date code in one of the photos is 1701, which is impossible for any Rockwell product.

As Ed suggested, demand the seller refund your purchase and be sure to leave negative (not neutral) feedback. Your feedback should make it clear you received a counterfeit product. Furthermore, the seller should be referred to eBay for selling counterfeit merchandise.

Incidentally, for a little more money, you can get the genuine WDC product.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The likelihood of these being fakes was immediately obvious from the photos attached to the auction. The date code in one of the photos is 1701, which is impossible for any Rockwell product.
I'll have to (guardedly) disagree. The response I got from NXP left that this is a real possibility.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
As Ed suggested, demand the seller refund your purchase and be sure to leave negative (not neutral) feedback. Your feedback should make it clear you received a counterfeit product. Furthermore, the seller should be referred to eBay for selling counterfeit merchandise.

Personally I wouldn't be all that harsh. The vendor might have been just as duped as the buyer. Especially if they otherwise have a good rating. I'd request my money back, and if they agreed I'd leave feedback like "Product was faulty, but seller refunded my money". I feel this is a better approach to getting the problem of selling faulty parts fixed. It's not punitive, but certainly gets the point across. In my experience, some Chinese vendors will bend over backwards to please a customer.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Incidentally, for a little more money, you can get the genuine WDC product.
For sure, but it's not really a plug-in replacement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next