6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:45 pm 

From Jeff's tagline:

Quote:
fyi: The calcium in your diet can't be metabolized without Vitamin D, and
Vitamin D deficiency is very common. Take a D supplement daily - cost,
about $.15. Or, risk crippling osteoporosis.
(I dodged a bullet, myself: was diagnosed early, in my mid-50's.)

Speaking as a septuagenarian, I can vouch for Jeff's recommendations. Your primary source of vitamin-D is natural sunlight, which is in short supply this time of year in the northern latitudes. Ergo the suggestion of taking a vitamin-D supplement. My own doctor gave me a warning about this about five years ago during a physical exam—my blood chemistry suggested I wasn't receiving sufficient vitamin-D. I am on a prescribed D medication and so far, so good. Bone density is good, joints are still good, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:09 am 

Speaking of being out of spec, what voltage do you run the 65c816 at for stable operation at 16MHz? this is a question I had after looking at the data sheet, where it shows the comparison between system voltage and clock rates. I note the MAX spec is 7 volts so I am curious if the chip can be pushed to 20MHz if the supply voltage is run up a smidgen more.

-Justin

drogon wrote:
FWIW: I didn't use the reference circuit in my '816 system. I used a single GAL. This doesn't work in transparent latch mode which the reference circuit seems to require (although I don't know why the reference circuit needs this)

The GAL takes the 8 address line inputs and feeds them directly to 8 outputs set to 'register' mode and uses ph2 as the latch (register) trigger, latching them on every rising edge of ph2. These outputs are held during ph2 high and the subsequent low half cycle, being re-sampled/latched on the next ph2 high transition. (Actually, while I take all 8 data lines input I only output A[16:20] as that's all I'm using - although I'm really only using A[16:18] as I have a 512KB memory chip, but there's space to vertically mount a 2nd if I think I need it. (the same GAL does some other stuff too - like 'wire-or the IRQs to the '816)

The rest of the design takes A[8:15] into another GAL which is the address decoder... There is no separate data bus transceiver,and again, I'm not sure why it's needed in the reference circuit. I'm sure I'm out of spec. somewhere along the line, but it works very reliably at 16Mhz, so I'm happy.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:19 am 

N2- wrote:
Speaking of being out of spec, what voltage do you run the 65c816 at for stable operation at 16MHz? this is a question I had after looking at the data sheet, where it shows the comparison between system voltage and clock rates. I note the MAX spec is 7 volts so I am curious if the chip can be pushed to 20MHz if the supply voltage is run up a smidgen more.

Forum member Windfall got an '816 going at 24MHz even at 3.3V!
viewtopic.php?p=50721#p50721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 am 

ah good to know! I'm drawing up a list of specifications for my own board so far I have.

1) adjustable voltage power regulator
2) adjustable clock generator, eg Si5351a it's good for a few KHz thru 290MHz.
3) configurable logic chip for MMU etc al
4) larger address space maybe

-Justin

GARTHWILSON wrote:
N2- wrote:

Forum member Windfall got an '816 going at 24MHz even at 3.3V!
viewtopic.php?p=50721#p50721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:28 am 

N2- wrote:

I'm running it at 5v - currently powered via a USB TTL Serial adapter. My intention was "old school", so 5v, through hole, double sided PCB (start with breadboard then stripboard for the 65C02 then PCB, but I went directly to PCB for the '816 version).

My only concession on the "old school" approach was to use GALs, however PALs and ULAs were about in the early 80's, so I feel happy there. My aim was for an 8Mhz system, but I stuck a 16Mhz xtal in it "for the LoLs", and it worked and was stable, so I left it there. I didn't do anything special other than join the dots when laying out the PCB although I did try to keep the 16Mhz clock traces as short and direct as possible.

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 am 

drogon wrote:
My only concession on the "old school" approach was to use GALs...

Have you published the GAL code?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:57 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:
My only concession on the "old school" approach was to use GALs...

Have you published the GAL code?

I've not published anything yet, and after recent very bad (and bitter) experiences trying to maintain some GPL code I may not, however - earlier you gave the schematic for your Rd & Wr qualifier - in the GAL this looks like: (* = AND, .T means it's a tristate output and .E is the enable signal for the corresponding Tristate output pin. This is a text file under Linux 'compiled' by GALasm)

Code:
; Write and Read signals for the RAM - qualified with the 6502 phase2 clock

/WR.T = CLK * /RW * BE
/RD.T = CLK *  RW * BE

; Single Enable input to tristate the chip select, etc. outputs

WR.E = BE
RD.E = BE

BE is the Bus Enable signal that comes from the host ATmega and goes into the GAL and the 65C02. The /RW line from the 6502 goes into the GAL, gets decoded and via tristate outputs into the SRAM. This is because the ATmega also drives these lines when it needs to access the SRAM. (This is the same in both the '02 and 816 systems)

So that saves a single TTL chip. The same GAL does address decoding - takes the top 8 address bits to create an IO signal at $FE00 through $FEFF, so another chip saved. It has to provide 2 CE signals to 2 x 32KB RAM chips which might need a spare gate somewhere and drives some status LEDs too. The Tristating is needed because the host ATmega can see the top 256 bytes of RAM with the 6502 (but not at the same time), so I'm using the BE signal.

In the '816 version this GAL is more or less the same although there is an extra input from the "top 8" GAL to indicate that bank 0 is in-use to further qualify the IO region so banks other than bank 0 don't affect the IO. (65C22). The "top 8" GAL latches the data bus at rising clock and acts as a 3-input OR gate for IRQ combining. If I knew how to use CPLDs I might have used one in the 816 system, but GALs are the top of my programmable logic ken right now.

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:14 am 

drogon wrote:
If I knew how to use CPLDs I might have used one in the 816 system, but GALs are the top of my programmable logic ken right now.

Getting from a GAL to a CPLD isn't all that much of a leap. As you have been able to define logic for your '816 in a GAL, you already have the knowledge needed to do the same thing in a CPLD. You'll need some different tools to write and test your code, but what you know about GALs can be readily reused.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:59 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:
If I knew how to use CPLDs I might have used one in the 816 system, but GALs are the top of my programmable logic ken right now.

Getting from a GAL to a CPLD isn't all that much of a leap. As you have been able to define logic for your '816 in a GAL, you already have the knowledge needed to do the same thing in a CPLD. You'll need some different tools to write and test your code, but what you know about GALs can be readily reused.

It's the tools - software/"compiler" and programmer. Linux only here with the exception of having to use an old Windows XP laptop to run my G540 programmer. Also through hole, but that's not a big show stopper. And maybe I'm just a bit too old-school, but sort of resent having a device with more gates in it than the 6502 has (and yes, I'm using an ATmega 1284p - go figure that one out!)

The trouble is then - where does it end? I look at the Foenix 816 and Neon 816 projects and think "just a bit too much", but also "Hmmm..." ...

Cheers,

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:19 pm 

Gordon, it might end with an modern 4GiB SODIMM wired to an FPGA for use as an MMU!

-Justin

drogon wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:

It's the tools - software/"compiler" and programmer. Linux only here with the exception of having to use an old Windows XP laptop to run my G540 programmer. Also through hole, but that's not a big show stopper. And maybe I'm just a bit too old-school, but sort of resent having a device with more gates in it than the 6502 has (and yes, I'm using an ATmega 1284p - go figure that one out!)

The trouble is then - where does it end? I look at the Foenix 816 and Neon 816 projects and think "just a bit too much", but also "Hmmm..." ...

Cheers,

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 pm 

drogon wrote:

Well, you can run WinCUPL on the XP laptop to program your CPLD. As for the gate count, isn't that the point behind programmable logic? :D