6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm 

I had to post about this, it's very exciting (for me at least)!
I regularly check their 'plus' software updates at least once a month and today I was pleasantly surprised. :o

ExpressPCB can now manufacture 3x [3.8" x 2.5"] 6 layer boards for $130US + shipping & taxes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 am 

I'm not sure what the attraction is with ExpressPCB. Their prices are high and their capabilities are low. Is it the free software? While I use a paid-for package, there are free offerings that will produces industry standard file fromats that will be accepted by PCBWay or JLCPCB or many, many others that are much more cost effective.

Do ExpressPCB accept Gerber and NC-drill files?

I know they state they are US based, but does that mean their boards are manufactured in the US or that their head office is in the US?

Not trying to get on anyone's goat, but I just don't see the value. Perhaps there is someone that has irrefutable inside information that these guys are cleaner and keeping the $ in more local hands, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 am 

ExpressPCB only accepts the non-standard files produced by their software. They do not accept Gerber files.
They actually tell you to go elsewhere if you have standard files: https://www.expresspcb.com/already-gerber-files/.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:29 pm 

DerTrueForce wrote:
ExpressPCB only accepts the non-standard files produced by their software. They do not accept Gerber files.
They actually tell you to go elsewhere if you have standard files: https://www.expresspcb.com/already-gerber-files/.

A PCB manufacturer not accepting Gerber files? WTF?

Are they intentionally trying to scare customers away? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:13 pm 

It sounds like there are two customer-facing companies using the same manufacturing facility. Perhaps the one is used to try out new offerings before the other.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 am 

fhw72 wrote:
DerTrueForce wrote:

A PCB manufacturer not accepting Gerber files? WTF?

Are they intentionally trying to scare customers away? :mrgreen:

It's a form of vendor lock-in. You can use ExpressPCB's free design software, which produces a proprietary file output that only they can process. I used to use EPCB quite a bit but have ceased doing business with them. I have (purchased) software that can convert the EPCB proprietary file format into industry-standard Gerbers. That allows me to do design with EPCB's software but get boards manufactured by almost anyone.

EPCB's quality and service is very good, but they have stubbornly resisted requests for features that are readily available through most board houses, e.g., slotted holes. Also, their prices are excessive in this day and age. I do not recommend them any more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm 

Wow, so many negative replies... I knew BDD was using them so I was waiting for his response, I guess I'm the last one using their services so I won't post about it any longer. I stay with them because of their free software and I've ordered many boards across several projects and know that what I finally get is in the design and is very good quality. Also, they continue to improve their process. Speaking of which they do now give you the option to receive Gerber files by email right AFTER you order the first run of boards.

I mean $130 for 3x [3.8" x 2.5"] @6 layers is pretty darn good I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 pm 

I've also been using them for many years. I've been very satisfied with the quality of the boards. As I prefer small pocket-sized PCBs, I've been ordering the Mini-Board Pro 4-layer which are in quantities of 3 for a set price. As of now, they are about $100 for a set with shipping. Granted, not exactly inexpensive, but I've also gotten used to their software package, so it's fairly easy for me to get the layout I want. As the price appears to be going up, it is a bit tough to justify for small hobby projects.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 am 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
I mean $130 for 3x [3.8" x 2.5"] @6 layers is pretty darn good I think.

Not trying to be negative, but that's not the way the math works out. Here's why:

ExpressPCB - $130 for 3 boards, w/6 layer and up to 64.5 sq. cm ea., green solder mask only, 5mil trace and space. Their software only.

JLCPCB - $87 for 10 boards, w/6 layer and up to 100 sq. cm ea., your choice of red, green, yellow, blue, white or black solder mask, 3.5mil trace and space. ENIG-RoHS surfacing only $14.50 more - still less than ExpressPCB. Any software you like.

So ExpressPCB is 50% more costly, 1/3 as many boards, maximum size of boards are 35% smaller, less choice, lower specification, and you are tied to a particular software like it or not.

Edit: Oh, I should add JLCPCB now do impedance control at no extra charge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:55 am 

multi-cb Germany, 3 PCBs 3.8"*2.5" (96.52mm*63.5mm), 6 layers, green solder mask, 3.9mil track and space, electrical test.
6 workdays: 141.57€.
28 workdays: 128.97€

For technical details, see here.
File formats: ODB++, Extended Gerber (RS-274X), EAGLE, KiCad, Target 3001!, Sprint layout.
For delivery to other countries than Germany, you better check the shipping and packaging charges. //Might be getting expensive.

Edit: "We solely sell to business customers and public institutions, all prices excl. VAT and delivery costs."