6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm 

John West wrote:
It might be easier to start with the not-working program and gradually NOP out the bits that don't exist in the working one. If it's still not working, start deleting the NOPs.
Interesting. So, the presence or absence of the NOP's will alter which addresses the instructions get mapped to.... and if altering the addresses produces a change (which it ought not to do) then we conclude some address lines have been switched? Just trying to be sure what you mean.

As for suggesting you overlooked content from upthread, I hope it's clear there's no criticism implied -- especially since I myself have very recently been found guilty! :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:37 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Well, 6500 (and 6800) series processors use the Phi2-low time to prepare for a data transfer and the Phi2-high time to actually perform the transfer. Preparing for the transfer entails the propagation of a new address onto the address bus... and it also entails a potential change of "ownership" of the data bus. During write cycles the data bus is driven by the CPU, and during read cycles any of several other devices (RAM, ROM, I/O) may take their turn.

Getting the devices to start and stop driving the bus is a somewhat inexact science. One of the reasons is, the devices don't instantly respond to changes on their /CE and /OE inputs -- and, the delay can only be predicted approximately (the margin of error could easily be 10 or 20 ns -- or more). This implies a threat of short-lasting bus collisions (bus contention). For example, in a handover from Device A to Device B, there's a risk Device B may begin driving the bus before Device A has stopped -- and for 10 or 20 ns the computer's Gnd and Vcc network gets blasted with a large current spike. :!:

It's not unusual to see designs which ignore this issue (the collision is brief, and arguably may be considered tolerable). But the solution is simple. Just arrange your glue logic so no device drives the data bus during the Phi2-low time. This guarantees a big, fat 500 ns timing "cushion" -- enough to soak up any variability and ensure that every bus handover is courteous and gentle. :)

( I can't specifically explain how a large current spike might produce the symptom we're seeing here, and that's why my concern is only a hunch. But clearly we have a computer that's acting "funny" -- it seemingly executes some code correctly, and other code not. And "funny" behavior is often the result of noise issues such as those caused -- especially on breadboards -- by current spikes. )

I'll be interested to learn the result of the experiment!

-- Jeff

Well moving /OE to /Q didn't do anything. Still doesn't work. I've noticed I thing though. Gareth's loop
Code:
loop: dec via1rb
        jsr delay
        bra loop

works fine ie the probe goes from high to low to high. But what doesn't work is code like this:
Code:
loop: lda #$00
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        lda #$ff
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        bra loop

which should essentially do the same thing. If I change lda #$00 to lda #$55 and the second lda to lda #$aa which should blink the probe but the VIA gets stuck on $55 and I can't change the value after that no matter what I've tried.
Is my VIA broken in some way? BTW I've double checked that every wire goes where it should go (ie everything is connected as the schema shows).

/Johan

Last edited by jgroth on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 pm 

jgroth wrote:
I've noticed I thing though. Gareth's loop
Code:
        jsr delay
        bra loop

works fine ie the probe goes from high to low to high. But what doesn't work is code like this:
Code:
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        lda #$ff
        jsr delay
        bra loop

which should essentially do the same thing. If I change lda #$00 to lda #$55 and the second lda to lda #$aa which should blink the probe but the VIA gets stuck on $55 and I can't change the value after that no matter what I've tried.
Is my VIA broken in some way? BTW I've double checked that every wire goes where it should go (ie everything is connected as the schema shows).

You'll need STA VIA1RB after the LDA #$FF; but you did do the STA on page 1 of the topic, and it didn't work; so there's probably something else.

After all the VIAs we put in products two decades ago, the only failure I ever saw was one where a bond wire apparently let loose as an infant mortality, shortly after it was put into service. We have never gotten bad silicon, in this or any of the other hundreds of thousands (or millions?) of new ICs we've put in products. You do of course always have to be careful to prevent ESD damage in handling before the product is finished and packaged.

Edit: BTW, there's no "e" in my name. Apparently "Gareth" is a common name in the UK; but my name is just "Garth."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:54 am 

jgroth wrote:
what doesn't work is code like this:
[...]
which should essentially do the same thing.
The routine that writes $55 then $AA will cause all 8 bits of the VIA port to toggle at the same rate. In contrast, the routine that decrements will cause bit0 of the VIA port to toggle at a certain rate.... but on bit1 the rate will be half, and on bit2 it'll be half again, and so on. The rate on bit7 will, comparatively, be very slow indeed. Sorry if this seems obvious. But might your unexpected result simply be a toggle rate that's a great deal higher or lower than expected?

Hmm. What happens if you...
Code:
      jsr delay
      dec via1rb
      jsr delay
      bra loop
By playing around you might uncover a clue. Sorry, at the moment I don't have any other ideas... :| Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 am 

jgroth wrote:
Code:
        jsr delay
        bra loop

Code:
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        lda #$ff
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        bra loop

That's curious! Is that the only difference between the two? They won't have exactly the same behaviour, but they both should do something observable.

One difference between the two will be the frequency. It should be low enough that even a very poor logic probe can see the activity, but just in case: can it see bit 0 toggling on the first version? That should be the same frequency as every bit on the second.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you post a listing output from the assembler for each version? Something that shows which address each instruction goes to. The possibility of something position-dependent is still nagging at me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:00 pm 

John West wrote:
jgroth wrote:
Code:
        jsr delay
        bra loop

Code:
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        lda #$ff
        sta via1rb
        jsr delay
        bra loop

That's curious! Is that the only difference between the two? They won't have exactly the same behaviour, but they both should do something observable.
One difference between the two will be the frequency. It should be low enough that even a very poor logic probe can see the activity, but just in case: can it see bit 0 toggling on the first version? That should be the same frequency as every bit on the second.

No problem seeing the probe going from high to low to high and so on. That goes for all bits (ie PB0-PB7)
John West wrote:
Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you post a listing output from the assembler for each version? Something that shows which address each instruction goes to. The possibility of something position-dependent is still nagging at me.

Sure, here is the list (this code doesn't work on the NAND-board BTW, but does on the ref-board:
Code:

; 64tass Turbo Assembler Macro V1.52.1237? listing file
; 64tass -Demulator=false -o via.bin --nostart --no-monitor --line-numbers --tab-size=1 --list=via.lst via.asm
; Thu Jun 27 16:48:56 2019

;Line   ;Offset ;Hex            ;Source

;******  Command line definitions

=false                  emulator=false

:1      ;******  Processing input file: via.asm

5       =$6000                          via1base = $6000
7       =24576                          via1rb   = via1base+0     ; write output register b, read input register b
8       =24577                          via1ra   = via1base+1     ; write output register a, read input register a
9       =24578                          via1ddrb = via1base+2     ; data direction register b
10      =24579                          via1ddra = via1base+3     ; data direction register a
12      .8000                   nmi:
13      .8000                   irq:
18      .8000                   coldstart:
20      .8000   a2 ff                   ldx #$ff
21      .8002   9a                      txs                     ;Initialise stack register
30      .8003   8e 02 60                stx via1ddrb        ; set all PB pins to be outputs
31      .8006                   loop:
32      .8006   a9 00                   lda #$00
34      .8008   8d 00 60                sta via1rb
36      .800b   20 18 80                jsr delay           ; wait for a while
37      .800e   a9 ff                   lda #$ff
38      .8010   8d 00 60                sta via1rb
43      .8013   20 18 80                jsr delay
44      .8016   80 ee                   bra loop
47      .8018                   delay:
49      .8018                   loop1:
50      .8018   a2 ff                   ldx #$ff
51      .801a                   loop2:
52      .801a   a0 ff                   ldy #$ff
53      .801c                   loop3:
54      .801c   88                      dey
55      .801d   d0 fd                   bne loop3
56      .801f   ca                      dex
57      .8020   d0 f8                   bne loop2
58      .8022   60                      rts
62      >fffa   00 80               .word   nmi         ;NMI
63      >fffc   00 80               .word   coldstart   ;RESET
64      >fffe   00 80               .word   irq         ;IRQ

;******  End of listing

This code works on both boards.
Code:

; 64tass Turbo Assembler Macro V1.52.1237? listing file
; 64tass -Demulator=false -o via_test_prg.bin --nostart --no-monitor --line-numbers --tab-size=1 --list=via_test_prg.lst via_test_prg.asm
; Mon Jun 24 21:09:26 2019

;Line   ;Offset ;Hex            ;Source

;******  Command line definitions

=false                  emulator=false

:1      ;******  Processing input file: via_test_prg.asm

5       =$6000                          via1base = $6000
6       =24576                          via1rb   = via1base+0     ; write output register b, read input register b
7       =24578                          via1ddrb = via1base+2     ; data direction register b
10      .8000                   nmi:
11      .8000                   irq:
16      .8000                   coldstart:
17      .8000   a2 ff                   ldx  #$ff
18      .8002   9a                      txs                  ; Initialise stack pointer register
19      .8003   8e 02 60                stx  via1ddrb        ; and make PB0-PB7 all outputs.
25      .8006   ce 00 60        loop:   dec  via1rb          ; PB7 will cycle high & low
26      .8009   20 0e 80                jsr  delay           ; at about 2/3 second at 1MHz, PB6 at
27      .800c   80 f8                   bra  loop            ; twice that rate, PB5 4x that rate, etc..
31      .800e                   delay:
32      .800e   a2 ff                   ldx  #$ff
33      .8010   a0 ff           loop2:  ldy  #$ff
34      .8012   88              loop3:  dey
35      .8013   d0 fd                   bne  loop3
36      .8015   ca                      dex
37      .8016   d0 f8                   bne  loop2
38      .8018   60                      rts
43      >fffa   00 80               .word   nmi         ;NMI
44      >fffc   00 80               .word   coldstart   ;RESET
45      >fffe   00 80               .word   irq         ;IRQ

;******  End of listing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm 

All the code (besides the vectors) is within the first 32 bytes of the ROM for the decrement test, but not for the inversion test. Does inserting ten NOPs between the 'BRA loop' and 'delay:' - to move the latter subroutine to a consistent position - make the decrement test fail? These are bytes that would never be executed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm 

Chromatix wrote:
All the code (besides the vectors) is within the first 32 bytes of the ROM for the decrement test, but not for the inversion test. Does inserting ten NOPs between the 'BRA loop' and 'delay:' - to move the latter subroutine to a consistent position - make the decrement test fail? These are bytes that would never be executed.

No, the probe is blinking as it should.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 am 

Try:
Code:
STZ via1rb
JSR delay
DEC via1rb
JSR delay
BRA loop
That should produce the "inversion" type output with 4 bytes smaller code.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:57 am 

Tis a puzzling problem... looking at the code, there is one main difference between the working and non-working code in accessing the 6522.

- The working code uses a DEC instruction, which means it reads the contents of the port register into the A reg, decrements whatever was read by one, then writes it back to the port register.

- The non-working code only uses a STA instruction, so the port is only written to and never read from.

Perhaps there is some timing issue of control signals where reading and writing from/to the 6522 works but writing only doesn't. Or perhaps there is some signal ringing on the breadboard causing a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:13 am 

My suggestion immediately above might help in that regard, as it incorporates both a direct store and a RMW operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm 

Chromatix wrote:
My suggestion immediately above might help in that regard, as it incorporates both a direct store and a RMW operation.

True, your coding example would also do the same.

Looking at the schematic again, I would also suggest moving the clock line of the W65C22 (pin 25) to the clock out line of the W65C02 (pin 39). I'm aware of what the current datasheet from WDC states on timing, but I've been running all WDC parts using the clock 2 out line to drive 65xx support chips at clock speeds from 1MHz to 10MHz without any issue. I think it's worth a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:38 pm 

So I tried this code:
Code:
coldstart: .block
        ldx #$ff
        txs                     ;Initialise stack register
        stx via1ddrb        ; set all PB pins to be outputs
loop:
        stz via1rb
        jsr delay           ; wait for a while
        dec via1rb
        jsr delay
        bra loop
        .bend

delay: .proc
        ldx #$ff
loop2:
        ldy #$ff
loop3:
        dey
        bne loop3
        dex
        bne loop2
        rts
        .pend

and the via gets stuck on low.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:27 am 

This might be a silly notion, but are you certain that you're always getting a clean rts from your jsr delay? Would it be helpful to try a version that in-lines the delay?

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:50 pm 

Should the A14 input of the SRAM be connected to A14 instead of GND so that writes to IO space don't write to the lower half of the RAM?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next