6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:13 am 

The (old) datasheet specified that MLB was active (low) for the last 3 cycles of a RMW instruction. I have found experimentally that this is not the case, at least with the DEC zp opcode. MLB goes low on the dead cycle after the first data (read) cycle, stays low for the next cycle (write data), then goes high for the opcode fetch of the next cycle. That's a total of 2 cycles. According to the datasheet, MLB is supposed to go low when the instruction fetches the data to modify.

Can anyone confirm for me or clue me in?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:58 pm 

lordsteve wrote:
The (old) datasheet specified that MLB was active (low) for the last 3 cycles of a RMW instruction. I have found experimentally that this is not the case, at least with the DEC zp opcode. MLB goes low on the dead cycle after the first data (read) cycle, stays low for the next cycle (write data), then goes high for the opcode fetch of the next cycle. That's a total of 2 cycles. According to the datasheet, MLB is supposed to go low when the instruction fetches the data to modify.

Can anyone confirm for me or clue me in?

Weird... but, could you use a DEC absolute to $00xx instead ?
(opcode $CE)

--Jorge.

Post subject: Maybe
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:40 pm 

I could do that, but it still wouldn't explain why DEC zp doesn't bring MLB down low when it fetches the data to modify.

Could someone confirm this on hardware?

Post subject: Re: Maybe
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:12 am 

lordsteve wrote:
I could do that, but it still wouldn't explain why DEC zp doesn't bring MLB down low when it fetches the data to modify.

Could someone confirm this on hardware?

Does a DEC absolute $00xx do the same ?

--Jorge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:58 am 

It does not matter if DEC doesn't drop MLB during the fetch, because it already owns the bus during the fetch. When the CPU relinguishes the bus for its internal operations, then it drops MLB so that no other processor uses the otherwise idle cycle, thus preventing potential changes to the read location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:15 am 

kc5tja wrote:
It does not matter if DEC doesn't drop MLB during the fetch, because it already owns the bus during the fetch. When the CPU relinguishes the bus for its internal operations, then it drops MLB so that no other processor uses the otherwise idle cycle, thus preventing potential changes to the read location.

Good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:35 pm 

>The (old) datasheet specified that MLB was active (low) for the last 3 >cycles of a RMW instruction. I have found experimentally that this is not >the case, at least with the DEC zp opcode. MLB goes low on the dead >cycle after the first data (read) cycle, stays low for the next cycle (write >data), then goes high for the opcode fetch of the next cycle. That's a >total of 2 cycles. According to the datasheet, MLB is supposed to go low >when the instruction fetches the data to modify.
Hi Everyone,

This doesn't seem right. MLB should go low during the first data-read.

Cheers,

Paul