6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:52 am 

I have a book on writing code for Commodore printers and another one for disk drives like the 1541. As I delve into 6502 programming I'm more than a little curious how everything fits together. Practically speaking, is it possible to capture, sniff, or dump IEC bus traffic for later analysis?

This sort of thing might come in handy in debugging code (or reverse engineering someone else's code) and ensure the packets I think are hitting the IEC bus are actually hitting the bus with the values and timings I expect. I own a ZoomFloopy, is it possible to use that to capture arbitrary data and save it to a modern system like a Raspberry Pi running Linux?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 pm 

I don't know as much about the IEC bus as I should. But have you thought about finding one of the Arduino projects that emulate the IEC protocol and using that? Basically one of those SD2IEC projects using an Arduino.

The Arduino could perhaps be modified to send the packet information to another SD card for later analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 pm 

That's an excellent thought, no I had not. I was mainly focused on using my ZoomFloppy to accomplish this. I hadn't considered and Arduino solution. Now I'm really going to have to think. Thank you for the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:16 am 

There is also a Raspberry PI based disk drive emulator. It's basically a program running on the PI with a few IO's and a level translator.

https://github.com/pi1541/Pi1541

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm 

load81 wrote:
I have a book on writing code for Commodore printers and another one for disk drives like the 1541. As I delve into 6502 programming I'm more than a little curious how everything fits together.

I am a little late, but am kind of an IEC guy -- not your Jim Drew or Harold Seeley and Marty Franz, but maybe I can help. Things like this have occupied me for decades, and now, along with only hobby-ists and oldies (like me at a ripe 54)... I do have a very solid understanding of how it all works. Yeah, a little late -- I know.

Maybe you still want to do as originally intended, or maybe not. PM me. Who knows? Hey! I'm still busy trying to get the Warpspeed cartidge fast DOS routines into my ROM for the SuperCPU. A ten-year project in its entirety (my project), I found that Warpspeed was actually faster than JiffyDOS for many things, well, because they were the V-Max guys.

Anything I know is yours.