6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

Hi there,

I know I haven't been here in a while, but I am still there, so to say ;-)

I am traveling a lot now so I wonder whether there is a mobile app for this forum (or for this forum software that can connect to the forum) so that I can read/participate when traveling?
Coming here on a mobile web browser is a pain...

Thanks
André

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm 

You might try tapatalk, it's an ad-funded app which can interface with a forum, apparently. And if you pay them, they show fewer annoying ads. Perhaps. At least you can probably try it out without much risk.

(The latest forum software supports a responsive theme, so maybe at some point we'll see that. It's not an app, but it might improve the mobile experience.)

What I tend to do is turn my phone sideways and use double-tap or pinch to zoom.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 pm 

I believe I tried using tapatalk at one point, and couldn't get it to connect to this forum. I gathered that there was some plugin involved, but I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am 

I just heard an outrageous claim that there are approximately 400 million cell phones in the USA. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only free individual in a thousand mile radius who doesn't own and has never owned and has no immediate plans to own a cell phone.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 am 

Since there are roughly 300 million American citizens, a large proportion of them upgrade their phones on a regular basis, and a significant proportion have more than one phone each - 400 million sounds about right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 am 

I just carry one mainly for emergencies, like calling our son when the battery in my van died last year.  I kept it turned off most of the time, but sometimes it would turn itself on without my permission, so I have recently begun keeping the battery out of it.  The battery has not been in it in several weeks now.  It's not a smartphone.  I use a landline phone at home and in my office which is at home.  For web access, I mostly use my desktop PC, and sometimes my laptop.  I use the laptop when I travel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:43 am 

I used to be in the no-phone camp until fairly recently, and then in the dumb-phone camp. But now I'm in the smartphone camp, because I had a need to be more contactable and more connected. The question is, perhaps, whether it's possible to go back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:57 am 

Chromatix wrote:
Since there are roughly 300 million American citizens, a large proportion of them upgrade their phones on a regular basis, and a significant proportion have more than one phone each - 400 million sounds about right.

Slight correction: there are about 320 million people in the USA, not all of whom are citizens. Depending on whose estimates you believe, between 60 and 80 percent are citizens and about 3.75 percent are illegal aliens. The balance are resident aliens, tourists, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:04 am 

BigEd wrote:
I used to be in the no-phone camp until fairly recently, and then in the dumb-phone camp. But now I'm in the smartphone camp, because I had a need to be more contactable and more connected. The question is, perhaps, whether it's possible to go back.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I just carry one mainly for emergencies, like calling our son when the battery in my van died last year. I kept it turned off most of the time, but sometimes it would turn itself on without my permission, so I have recently begun keeping the battery out of it. The battery has not been in it in several weeks now. It's not a smartphone. I use a landline phone at home and in my office which is at home. For web access, I mostly use my desktop PC, and sometimes my laptop. I use the laptop when I travel.

I've stuck with a basic flip phone with a basic rate plan, as I am not one who lives his life on the phone. If someone needs to contact me when I'm out-and-about they can dial my cell number and we can talk. Much as I like technology, I don't use it as a substitute for old-fashioned conversation.

Like Garth, I don't have my cell powered when I don't need it, such as when at home or in my office. There I use POTS and will continue to do so as long as it remains available in our area.

For web access, I've got plenty of real computers in my office. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:07 am 

But I'm sure no-one would call you a dinosaur, BDD... oh, wait...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:14 am 

BigEd wrote:
But I'm sure no-one would call you a dinosaur, BDD... oh, wait...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
I just heard an outrageous claim that there are approximately 400 million cell phones in the USA. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only free individual in a thousand mile radius who doesn't own and has never owned and has no immediate plans to own a cell phone.

Mike B.

When I retired in 2010 I had gotten rid of my cursed cell phone - now, 8 years later, my wife insisted I get one for when working alone at the cottage. Sooo.... I did. The funny thing is, I can't get service when I'm there . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:14 pm 

Sorry to go OT, but hearing Mike B. say he's never had a cell phone resonates well with me. :-)

While I do have a phone (my job requires it), I haven't had a credit card in 14 years. American Express screwed me over for the fun of it 14 years ago and I swore off credit cards ever since.

Granted, I have debit cards that are backed by the same evil CC companies....but every cent I spend comes out of my checking and if I don't have the money, I don't spend. :-)

/end of OT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 pm 

Pretty much have had a routine cell phone on me since July 4, 1996 when the first digital phones showed up in So Cal. These were novel in that you went to Fry's, bought the phone, called in and signed up and that was that. I had a couple of previous ones, but they were ungainly, and drained batteries.

First smartphone was an iPhone 3GS. The ability of having "the internet" in my pocket is just incalculable. And "by the internet", I mean the web. Outside of messaging, I don't subscribe to any of the social media platforms.

The idea of having the phone, and not having it on, especially today, flummoxes me. My wife used to be like that, "just for emergencies", except when the emergency was on the other end, I could never call her. Emergencies happen on both ends of the phone. And not always when we're at work. We finally got her an iPhone, and she enjoys that. And, yes, she leaves it on.

This isn't to suggest that the modern phones aren't without their frustrations, to be sure. They're not easy to use. They're fiddly. They're expensive.

As for credit cards, I use them almost exclusively. I'm being charged for them by the retailers anyway (save for the rare "cash discount" gas station). I'll take all of the protections they offer, I'll take their "1-2%" "free cash" that they give back. I very rarely use the debit card. I'd rather spend the credit card companies money than mine. When things go wrong, it's their money in dispute, not mine. Having had them swiped, scanned, stolen, whatever almost annually, I consider debit cards borderline safer than checks. And checks are absolutely terrible.

All of those unauthorized purchases on my credit card could have easily been done on the debit card (since they work just like credit cards today anyway), except for the fact that that money is instantly removed from my account. I'd have to fight for it back. No thanks.

And a debit card may not be able to pay for a new transmission should I suddenly need one.

Cash is almost impossible to use. Lunch for 2 can easily hit $25-$30, and NOBODY takes $100 bills any more, since that currency has been almost completely corrupted, despite our best efforts. I'd have to walk around with a mobsters roll in my pocket just to eat, or just move in next to an ATM.

No thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:42 pm 

whartung wrote:
I consider debit cards borderline safer than checks.

This is an absolute myth. I have two debit cards on two different banks. One is further backed by MasterCard and the other is further backed by Visa. So while they are not credit cards, they have the same protection as any credit card. Except I'm never borrowing money. I was raised to not borrow money except for maybe a reasonable mortgage. I "get" the whole idea of "free money" and "protection" these credit card companies offer. I just choose not to play. And after 14 years of not playing, I have no regrets.

We've had our debit card stolen several times throughout the years. In each and every time, the bank refunded our money within a day or two.

My wife and I have a pretty good system I think. One of our accounts are for house expenses and we don't carry those debit cards with us. Little chance they would be swiped or stolen. The other account is for eating out, internet purchases, etc. We keep just enough money in there for the week. So if those cards are stolen, our lights won't be cut off due to insufficient funds.

I believe this system offers us just as much protection as anyone else.

I'm not here to convince anyone that my system is better. But after what the AMEX did to me, I will *never* go back to that lifestyle.