6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:20 pm 

Welcome to 6502.org. I am very pleased to see you here. I have used your wiringPi library in some projects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:39 pm 

Klaus2m5 wrote:
Welcome to 6502.org. I am very pleased to see you here. I have used your wiringPi library in some projects.

Thanks. When worlds collide!

wiringPi was developed after I'd already developed an independent "wiring" library for the ATmega (a client wanted GPL free code), and oddly enough my 6502 system will have something very similar...

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 pm 

Great intro!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:15 pm 

drogon wrote:
wiringPi was developed after I'd already developed an independent "wiring" library for the ATmega (a client wanted GPL free code), and oddly enough my 6502 system will have something very similar...

What no CESIL binding for wiringPi ...

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 am 

BitWise wrote:
drogon wrote:

What no CESIL binding for wiringPi ...

Well.... Presuming you mean:

https://projects.drogon.net/cesil-controlled-xmas-tree-on-the-raspberry-pi/

then the answer is ... not yet..

To be honest though, the response I got from that was somewhat underwhelming, so I never did much more to it. Trivial to add it in, like I did for the Little Man Computer

https://projects.drogon.net/lmc/

*sigh* now you've made me just add more to my ever growing list of "things to do" when I get round to making my little 6502 system... (as well as port my RTB Basic interpreter which both Cesil and LMC are written in)..

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 am 

Howdy!

Call me 'Z', most folks do these days.

I've been interested in vintage computers since I was 14, starting with a Commodore 64. Vintage Computer Festival East showed me just how many other folks enjoy the same thing, and demonstrated that the hobby was more than a legitimate use of my time, but a way of life. It has since become the hobby I dedicate the majority of my time to. I primarily focus on collecting Commodore 8-bit machines, and thus repairing them becomes a necessary skill to have. Know the processor, know the machine.

Maintaining is only part of the picture, sometimes I need to create something. I've been in a hardware mood for the past few years, which is strange because I thought I was going to be a programmer for a living... funny how those things go sometimes. I experienced the wonder of directly toggling instructions into memory on a COSMAC ELF Membership Card, and later a mini OSI-300 replica. Neither of these machines hit the same notes as full-size 1970s machines with front panels. I haven't been able to make myself sit down and write assembly for years, but it is my intention to change that and build something while I'm at it.

Enter: the Cactus, what I've spent the last year or so working on. It's been a learning experience -- I'm out of my element on circuit design and practical application, so I'm primarily piecing together what I learn from others. I'm not sure it will ever work, but I'm going to keep trying, and that means asking a lot of questions to better my understanding. More info on the Cactus project is over in the newbie section.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the intro!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm 

Hi all

i am 57 years old and i leave in France, on the 'côte d'azur" between Marseille and Nice.
my native language is french so i can make mistakes in english.

i started computing in the early 80's with commodore VIC 20, commodore 64 and moved next to the 16 bits computers (ATARI)

i always reversed things , programs, devices,...
i have a software initial formation

for some years now i have reversing electronic chessboards from the 80's and 90's.

there were 3 main brands : Fidelity Electronics (USA), Mephisto (Germany) and Novag (?)
their boards are all based on Z80 (a few), 6502 (most of them in the golden age), 68000 and 6301 also.

my work/hobby consists in opening the boards , dump the ROMs, disassemble the program with a tool like IDA_PRO in order to fasten the boards.
for most of the based boards, the factory speed starts from 1.5 Mhz till 4/5 Mhz.
in most cases i am able to put a new WDC65c02-14, and changing RAM and ROMS i am running the boards at speeds from 6 till 18Mhz depending the model and the initial components.
in most cases i also change some of the old 74xx IC towards more modern and fast components of the same reference.
in particular teh 74xx138 which is a selector 8 outputs.

i have also done the same thing on the 2 reversi board i have, made by Fidelity in 1981 and based on 6502(2 Mhz). starting from 1.4 Mhz it is now running at 8 Mhz, but could go faster if i had the right components :
as all of you i can't buy anymore some genuine WDC-10 Mhz, and as most of you i have bought many counterfeits chips from Ebay coming fromChinese sellers.
( i read most of the topics about that).
my mlacks is that on some boards i can't use WDC14Mhz chips (and i do'nt know why) so i am locked to small frequencies.(6/8 Mhz)

i have done about 20 different models of boards at the moment , some in pure plastic, some wooden and contribute to the MAME emulator for the chess boards, adding in MAME all new boards i open and dump.

i also work on some 68000 based boards but that is of-topic and i don't want to be fired at the first day in that forum :oops: :D
i speeded up some of them from 12 to 16 Mhz or to 16 to 20 Mhz

i have been a guest for many quarters and decided to register to collaborate.
of course i have more questions than responses, and this forum dedicated to 6502 seems to be the right place as it is focused on the 6502 and its variants, whatever is their use.

in some chess hardware forums, the modders adopt the lazy approach : they change the clock and if it works, they are happy.

but without modifiying the software when necessary they are locked to small upgrades.

i act differently :i first reverse (software and hardware) and if i can speed up the boards i am happy.
i success in most cases even if i am locked sometimes and that is why i am here.
for some Fidelity boards i go from 3 Mhz (factory speed) to 16 Mhz after modifications.

i would say that i have a good idea of how those boards work, having identified the main blocks of hardware and software and how they interact.

of course that hobby is very time consuming and also money consuming as the chess boards are becoming expensive because of the vintage/retro mode.

i have a PC-based logic analyser, a PC-based oscillo and a solder station.

regards.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm 

Welcome! Interesting projects: I suggest you start a thread for a specific problem, like perhaps the non-working of a fast modern WDC 6502 in your system.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 pm 

yoyo_chessboard wrote:
Hi all

i am 57 years old and i leave in France, on the 'côte d'azur" between Marseille and Nice.

Welcome to our 6502 world.

Quote:
my native language is french so i can make mistakes in english.

My native language is English and I make mistakes in English all the time. :D So, you need not worry.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 am 

Hello All!

My name is Trent Reed, and I am a software engineer from the United States of America.

My background is in game development and real-time simulation, and I have been programming since I was in the 4th grade. I started programming when I got my first computer which was a Windows 95, first starting with very simple things like RPG Maker applications and simple text-only HTML web pages, eventually transitioning to Game Maker (back when Mark Overmars was in charge of it), to Allegro, to Cocos2D, to custom engines.

Now, I am working in the game industry! However, in my spare time I enjoy continued education and working on projects which are not financially viable for a business to produce. Though none of my projects are finished (I've only been working on them for ~2 years after graduating from college), I am happy with where they are and still working on many of them.

Of these projects some notable stand-outs are:
+ LT3 (a base library which acts as a common denominator for all of my C libraries/frameworks)
+ QCurses (TUI library which utilizes curses libraries to make rich console-based applications)
+ OpenSK (cross-platform, low-level PCM/MIDI library)
+ OpenWM (cross-platform, window management library for display server abstraction)
+ KASM (fantasy ISA project, incidentally the project that brought me to the 6502 forums)
+ FES8 (8-bit fantasy console project, utilizes fantasy ISAs developed in KASM project)

Many of these projects are in varied states, and the way development works is I commit to a private repo and then publish a large final commit for the public releases. So while many of these projects are on GitHub, most of them are out-of-date right now because I am reworking many of the systems and how they work together in a larger project. So please be aware that you may find some oddities here and there, as well as some stale or not working code at this time.

Speaking of out-of-date content, I have a website (though I haven't updated it since 2016): http://www.trentreed.net/

I have a few posts on Qt and OpenGL which seem to be quite popular, so if you are interested in advanced rendering topics, you can check there. Here are my favourite articles that I have written:
+ http://www.trentreed.net/blog/physicall ... -lighting/
+ http://www.trentreed.net/blog/screen-sp ... occlusion/

If you want to play something, here is the latest thing I worked on outside of work (though, oddly I did not do much programming on this title). It was a 48-hour game jam, we used Unity to keep things simple because the application had to be distributed in a particular way. Please give it some time to load, it may take a minute:
+ http://trentreed.net/games/HTML5/MaxwellsGold/

Right now, as I have mentioned, I am deep into learning different lower-level details of CPUs. I started way high up the stack in gameplay and graphics, and from there explored the platform stack, and now I'm learning about processors. I originally joined because I'm trying to develop my own toy ISA, and I want to do so in a way where the ISA at least makes some kind of sense and the cycle count is backed by an existing sensible design, so I'm using the 6502 as a launching point for this (though I am re-ordering the instruction layout, and changing some aspects of the chip design to fit my needs - even if it wouldn't have been financially viable to do so back when the 6502 was developed).

It's nice to be here, and I hope that I can learn more about the 6502 with all of you! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 pm 

My interest in the 6502 mainly comes from my first computer-programming experiences being on the BBC Micro, way back in the mid-1980s. Some idea of my family's general lack of resources can be inferred from the fact that, even then, our Beeb was second-hand. It did come with some neat upgrades, including a 1770 DFS, but I wasn't yet experienced enough to make proper use of them.

We also had an Amstrad PCW, a ZX Spectrum +3 and, later, an Acorn RiscPC - but for me, the BBC Micro epitomised what an 8-bit micro *should* be.

These days I spend most of my professional time hacking around in the Linux kernel, or else explaining (in words of one syllable) how trains work to people who really should know already. But this weekend I found myself converting lib6502 to C++ as part of trying to get a BBC Master+Tube emulator going. I found quite a few bugs in the process, many of which were not my own.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 am 

Hello to everyone!

My name is Chris and I was born and raised in Greece (actually I'm still living and working here)

I am turning 40 this December!

I never had a previous experience with programming, even with BASIC although I was always interested in computer stuff in general and computer games (point n click adventures) in particular during the 80's and the 90's

My initial reason is to exercise my mind...in other words, keep it in shape! (I do not aim at mastering assembly language, neither creating projects with it)

And since I find boring to study mathematics or other stuff, I chose programming because it includes computers. That makes things easier for my soul.

And from all the programming languages I tried, assembly is the only one I like to study!

Don't ask me why, I really don't know! Probably it seems some kind of "exotic" thing to me!!!

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't get bored reading the book from Rodnay Zaks "Programming the 6502" (4th edition) which I luckily purchased from a UK lady on e-bay (in a very good condition, almost brand new)

And after some troubles I had with understanding some concepts in the book, I came to this site and made an account!

So here I am.

It feels really nice to see that hundreds, maybe thousands of people are still interested in asm 6502!!!

See you around!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am 

Welcome! A great book to start off with! Probably the first computer type book I bought.

Thanks and welcome to others who've posted introductions too. It's never too late!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:23 am 

I've been meaning to introduce myself for a while now; I've been lurking since late last year and I've already made a few posts. So, here goes...

My name's Josh. I'm 44 and I hail from Detroit, Michigan. I got my start in computers at a very young age, when I started 4th grade at a new school that had a Commodore PET in the classroom. I took an immediate interest, but what really got me started was when I watched TRON at a friend's house.

My first home computer was a TI-99/4A. My dream though was to design and build my own computer, and I used to spend countless hours pouring over schematics in Radio Electronics and drawing my own schematics.

Eventually I upgraded to an Apple IIe, and later an Apple IIgs. I picked up 6502/65816 assembly language, and during my teenage years I even did some shareware work in the A2 community with my Alert Sound control panel (made obsolete by System 6.0 iirc) and NuPak GS. I was also heavily involved in the METAL project, which I used to create the Future Vision BBS software. I think there's still some FV BBSs running today as Internet sites.

Eventually I moved on to Macs, but around '95 I discovered Linux, so I picked up a 386 system and installed Slackware. Although I eventually lost interest in Macs, for a brief time in the early 2000s I was also the maintainer of the Mac/68K Linux port. Technically I'm still listed that way, though I have not actively worked on the project for at least 15 years.

Around '97 I released XGS, a freeware Apple IIgs emulator for Linux. Last year I actually revived that project, with the end goal of eventually creating a retro portable GS using a Raspberry Pi 3.

A few years ago I decided to take up electronics as a hobby again, and today I'm finally living that childhood dream; my first 6502 SBC (COLE-1) was built back in January, and since then I've been busy working on expanding it. I've already got an SPI SD card reader hooked up, and I'm actively working on writing an operating system to go with it. At the same time I've been poking away at implementing a video/keyboard controller on an Altera Max V, which will interface to the SBC through a VIA port. And, as if all that wasn't enough, I'm also slowly planning out COLE-2, which will be '816 based, with much improved I/O and more RAM.

And that's my story, in abbreviated form. ;) Hopefully I didn't get too incoherent!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 46  Next