6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:14 pm 

Although I have already gotten some feedback regarding this question from some one-on-one emails, I thought I would post it here to get a few more opinions.

I have a Commodore/MOS KIM-1 with original schematics and hardware/programming manuals. I also have a few other books including a "best of 6502" (I think from Byte Magazine) and "First Book of KIM."

I don't know if the board is functioning or not. I have gotten some direction regarding booting it, but I'm hesitant to try because I assume it is very sensitive (and would not want to destroy it by wiring something incorrectly!)

I am curious what these items are worth, though I have not yet decided to finally part with them. I've had suggestions that it would be worth around $250 (US?) if the board was functioning, and the manuals were included.

I've been keeping them stored for about ten years, since my father died. He always pointed out how valuble this machine was to him and I'm debating holding onto it as a "keepsake" or allowing a new generation of hobbyist to enjoy it. Ideally I'd like to get a bit of money for this stuff, as well as hand it over to someone who would treat it with respect and, above all, ENJOY it rather than store it away for another ten years.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:15 pm 

Have a look at

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/kim-1/

If you connect a power supply with correct voltage and correct +/- you could check if the board is OK without risking to destroy anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:29 pm 

A KIM-1 in good condition and prooved working and with all books is worth about 200-300 dollar (or what a crazy auction on ebay would go to I dont know).

If you sell it as 'unknown condition', well, depends.

The revision (known are up to F) also matters to collectors.