6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 am 

BTW. People keep saying "open collector". Since all the chips in the conversation are CMOS, I assume its just out of habit, right? If its CMOS, it has to be open drain, right? Just curious if I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 am 

Just looked in my stash. I do indeed have that 8 input NAND. So I have everything but the switches that only I think are cool :P .

This whole thing is related to my desire to have the buses and control line available on an edge connector.

It was mentioned that I should want ground, and filtered Vcc interspersed amongst the other pins. Care to elaborate? I've been perusing my copy of "High Speed Digital Design", but I've only just broken the surface.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:52 am 

Here's my version with the 74HC30 Garth suggested. I also re-configured so that switches switch the IRQ lines, not the pullups as it did previously. That was a dumb mistake I only just now saw :roll:

Attachment:
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png [ 101.63 KiB | Viewed 4515 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:18 am 

If you want a DIP switch to cut off an interrupt, you need to put the switch in series with the IRQ\ line, not the pull-up. The way you show it, the IRQ\'s are still connected all the time, but if you remove the pull-up, the IRQ\ may go true full-time, which is the opposite of what you want.

Keep in mind that:
  • An I/O IC will not generate any interrupts at all if it's not set up to. You may only have one or two ICs generating any interrupts at all.
  • Any given I/O IC might have quite a few interrupt sources in it, and you might only have one source in the whole IC enabled. Not a lot.
  • However, if you do have multiple sources within a given IC enabled at once, a switch will cut them all off together, not allowing "line-item veto" so to speak. Depending on what the sources are though, you might also be able to stop one source or another from generating interrupts by removing the input that's causing them, for example by unplugging a peripheral that's causing interrupt-on-change, or sending data, etc..

These things may or may not change your plans, but keep them in mind.

FETs have source, gate, and drain, no collector; but the term "open-collector" kind of remains from the TTL days. You'll also hear "open-drain." Either way, the idea is that a line is pulled to ground through a transistor when it's on, or left to float up when the transistor is turned off, whether it's a bipolar transistor, or any of the kinds of field-effect transistors. The effect is the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:45 am 

Dan Moos wrote:
It was mentioned that I should want ground, and filtered Vcc interspersed amongst the other pins. Care to elaborate? I've been perusing my copy of "High Speed Digital Design", but I've only just broken the surface.

See what's on the pinout of my 4-megabyte 10ns SRAM module on the second page of the data sheet at http://wilsonminesco.com/WM-1_4Mx8SRAMmodule1-2-17.pdf . The grounds are pins 5, 19, 28, and 42, and the +5V is pins 12 and 35. The +5V pins are bypassed to ground at the connector, so those effectively act as ground as well, as far as AC performance goes. No pin is more than .200" away from a ground or bypassed power pin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:17 am 

I you look at my most recent schematic, I thought I fixed the switch placement problem.

I realize chips sharing a line will be switched as a group. Realistically, 8 lines seems like overkill for my plans, so in practice, I'm confident that none will have to share.

I figured it was habit that caused folks to say open collector, even when technically a device was open drain. Just wanted to confirm :o

I was wondering more what the theory was behind putting power and ground close to all the other pins on a connector. I realize its an AC performance thing, just not exactly the specific reason. I imagine its to do with capacitance? Is it similar to why one might have every other wire on a ribbon cable be ground?

I know from audio work, that ground and Vcc are the same for AC purposes, so I figure that is a clue.

Care to elaborate, or maybe point me to the relevant part of my "High Speed Digital Design" book?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 am 

Dan Moos wrote:
... I figured it was habit that caused folks to say open collector, even when technically a device was open drain. Just wanted to confirm :o ...

Yeah, old habits die hard ... I hope I'm not distracting or annoying you with my "peanut gallery" remarks.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 am 

Dan Moos wrote:
I you look at my most recent schematic, I thought I fixed the switch placement problem.

Yes, my apologies. I guess I forgot to click on the diagram to enlarge it, and just assumed the top was Vcc (or VDD) so you were switching the pull-up resistors rather than the IRQ\ lines.

Quote:
I was wondering more what the theory was behind putting power and ground close to all the other pins on a connector. I realize its an AC performance thing, just not exactly the specific reason. I imagine its to do with capacitance? Is it similar to why one might have every other wire on a ribbon cable be ground?

I know from audio work, that ground and Vcc are the same for AC purposes, so I figure that is a clue.

Care to elaborate, or maybe point me to the relevant part of my "High Speed Digital Design" book?

For this subject, I have toyed with creating some animated .gif images to illustrate what happens; because although the concepts are not difficult to understand (leaving out the heavy math), they can be difficult to communicate.

It has to do with inductance, quite different from what goes on in audio circuits which are comparatively high-impedance and low-frequency. Imagine a pulse going out a signal line, and its ground return current going the opposite direction two inches away because all the ground pins are clustered together at one end of the connector instead of being distributed. Suppose the load is three inches away. Now you have kind of like a single-turn coil, two inches wide and three inches long. That inductance is unwanted, and makes it take longer to charge up the input capacitances of the loads, and, along with the capacitance, forms resonant circuits that can ring badly, such that clean square waves become sloppy and their ringing following each intended rising and falling edge may cause unwanted multiple triggering or false inputs, or, less likely, even damage. If you put the ground return current really close to the signal line, it's like reducing the width of that coil so it is very small, and the total inductance drops way down.

But if the ground return connection is far away, an unwanted opposite reaction voltage will be induced in nearby signal lines instead.

I'll avoid getting into transmission lines just yet. It is interesting however that if you have, let's say, a place where the ground return current can return to the transmitting IC 2" away and one 0.2" away, the return current will take the closer one, because of mutual inductance. Unlike the other inductance, mutual inductance here is your friend. Consider this illustration:
Attachment:
tranLine2.gif
tranLine2.gif [ 12.44 KiB | Viewed 4502 times ]

Current in one conductor builds up a magnetic field around it, and a change in that field is opposed, and there's a pushback, which is exerted on the adjacent conductor as well. If that conductor can allow an equal change in the opposite direction, the pushback collapses, and it's easier to get good signal integrity. In fact, if you put the pair through a ferrite bead or core of some kind to concentrate the flux lines, that core can handle practically a limitless amount of current without saturating, assuming there's no common-mode current. In mechanical terms, I like to think of it this way:
Attachment:
tranLine1.gif
tranLine1.gif [ 22.22 KiB | Viewed 4502 times ]

The large weight slides freely on a greased rod; but it has a lot of inertia. If the two racks accelerate equally in opposite directions, you don't have to accelerate or decelerate the weight. But if the two racks accelerate or decelerate in the same direction, that change is opposed, because the large weight wants to maintain whatever state of motion it is in.

Similarly, if you have a PC board with a true ground plane, a signal trace's ground-return current will not take the shortest path back, but instead will flow directly under the trace, taking on the shape of the trace. For this to happen though, there cannot be any interruptions in the ground plane—which is why ground pours do not qualify, since they are not continuous. In audio circuits, the coupling between adjacent wires is by electric field, caused by voltages. In RF and high-speed digital circuits, they're by magnetic field, caused by currents. There is a way to use pours to supplement real planes; but if they're not done correctly, they can actually make things worse, according to experts in the field like Rick Hartley, Eric Bogatin, and Suzie Web whose lectures you can see on Altium's YouTube channel.

Edit: Here's a related post: viewtopic.php?p=32133#p32133 (It's pretty short.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 am 

I think you covered it well. I'll ponder it more in the morning for sure.

My audio background causes me to constantly forget that at these speeds, inductance is suddenly relevant in wires and traces. In my mind it takes a coil to create meaningful inductance, and I'm constantly having to tell myself that the meaning of "meaningful inductance" is different here.

If I DIY the PCB, a ground plane is just off the table. I've pondered methods of laminating a single sided board to a double sided board to get three layers, but the vias become problematic.

I plan to stick to 1 Mhz. I'm just gonna do the best I can with no ground plane, but work up a version with one in case I change my mind about DIY. The thing is working on a breadboard, so I know it can work just fine on a two layer board. Your advice about having ground and VCC all over the place makes sense though, especially on a connector.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm 

Dan Moos wrote:
BTW. People keep saying "open collector". Since all the chips in the conversation are CMOS, I assume its just out of habit, right? If its CMOS, it has to be open drain, right? Just curious if I'm missing something.

Actually I like the continued use of OC for CMOS. If you say open drain
it is ambiguous as to what you mean. You'd have to say open n-channel drain.
In TTL it can only have the one meaning.
It would be interesting if they actually made CMOS in both types.
Dwight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 am 

Going through "High Speed Design: A Handbook of Black Magic".

In the introductory chapter, he teaches that the .5/rise time freq is the key to the whole thing.

Just want to make sure I'm clear on one matter. Rise time is Voltage independent, correct? My audio experience never has voltage in any of the time constant equations. My intuitive thinking, that never has really be explained as such in texts, is that since current flow scales with voltage across a reactive element, time constants are unaffected by voltage.

In other words, a 5 volt system is at no advantage over a 3.3 volt system in this specific regard, right? All other things being equal, rise times will be equivalent, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 am 

Right.

That's the book by Dr. Howard Johnson, right? I should get it. It seems to be mostly a collection of his articles which I cut out and saved from when they appeared regularly in one of the electronic industry magazines, and later online when they were still free [Edit: I found them again, free, in the archives, at https://web.archive.org/web/20120302190 ... eyword.htm ]; but it would be good to get the actual book anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 am 

Yup, that's the book. I'm only just now reading it in earnest, but it's good. Gets right to the point. Very practical. He gives gives you the theory behind things very concisely, and understandably, and moves on. Actually, I'd say your teaching style here is similar. My big complaint with many such texts is they make things harder than necessary, and after the umpteenth reading of a passage, when I finally get it, I usually feel I could have explained it allot better. This book is the opposite. I can see why it is so often recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

Linear circuits follow the simple rules but you have to also
understand that we are working with non-linear components
as well.
An digital IC isn't a simple resistor driving a capacitor with a
little stray inductance.
Dwight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:26 am 

Ok, I'm leaning more towards having a PCB fabbed instead of DIY. Basically, having a four layer board with ground and Vcc planes is too convenient. I just about have the thing routed, and I was able to keep the whole thing on a 100 x 100 mm board, which is a serious price point change at PCB way (only place I've looked at so far).

I've always DIY'd my PCBs. I'm worried I won't give them what they need, so I want to check with you guys.

I'm using Kicad. Let's assume that before I create a Gerber, my stuff has passed all ERC and DRC checks.

I'm going with 10 mil traces/10 mil clearance. That seems to be well within the lower price point of places I've looked at, and was something I knew I could DIY if I went that way.

What's a good VIA hole/ring size?

I wanna make sure I do all the steps. Let's say I've routed, and passed DRC. What else remains? I outlined my board with the User Drawing Layer, but I'm not clear where I actually tell the fab house my intended board dimensions.

I really don't know what else I need to do after I route the board. Complete noob at having these things made professionally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next