6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 65VM02
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 am 

GaBuZoMeu wrote:
But I'm thinking all the talk so far didn't consider true (aggressiv or hostile) multitasking - only cooperative one.

Cooperative multitasking is not really multitasking, as a single, poorly-written program can hog the machine simply by not relinquishing control when it should. All versions of Microsoft Windows prior to Windows 95 ran with that model, and were notable for data-mangling crashes (Windows 95, in contrast, merely had annoying crashes). A truly multitasking system will have a means for the kernel to interrupt a process and start a different one without the interrupted process being given an opportunity to put up a fight.

Quote:
98% ACK. I just wouldn't say your opinion is curmudgeonly. To me your words sounds "experience battered".

Well, I have been plugging away at this computer stuff for decades. I started back when Tele-Type machines were state-of-the-art communications devices. :shock:

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand my words as offending - your work so far and your goal (as far as I understand it) is great - no doubt. And it is already an interesting contribution to the 6502 world. So don't hesitate - go on! :)

Ditto here. I'm always interested in finding new ways to pound nails into lumber. What I don't like to see is failure due to someone not fully grasping the magnitude of the problem they are attempting to address. I've been guilty of that sin several times in the past—it's not a very pleasant experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
GaBuZoMeu wrote:
But I'm thinking all the talk so far didn't consider true (aggressiv or hostile) multitasking - only cooperative one.

Cooperative multitasking is not really multitasking, as a single, poorly-written program can hog the machine simply by not relinquishing control when it should. All versions of Microsoft Windows prior to Windows 95 ran with that model, and were notable for data-mangling crashes (Windows 95, in contrast, merely had annoying crashes). A truly multitasking system will have a means for the kernel to interrupt a process and start a different one without the interrupted process being given an opportunity to put up a fight.

The way I envision a cooperative system taking care of this problem is that the cyclic executive loop sets a timer every time it calls a task. As long as the task takes only a reasonable amount of time before giving control back, all is well. Control is never seized, and the task only gives back control when it's at a good pausing point. But if the task goes south, the timer times out and generates an interrupt, and its ISR records that fact and gives control back to the loop. This is different from preemptive multitasking in that it does not save anything for the task to be able to run again. It won't. The loop is told that the task needs to be kicked out and an error message generated, and to get on with the other tasks.

Granted, that does not automatically make cooperative multitasking suitable for all multitasking needs; but it does take care of situations where for example a loop is entered whose exit conditions will not be met in a reasonable amount of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 am 

The Macintosh had cooperative multitasking, and wasn't especially crashy.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 pm 

BigEd wrote:
The Macintosh had cooperative multitasking, and wasn't especially crashy.

Certainly less "crashy" than any version of Windows prior to NT5 (aka Windows 2000). However, the MacOS was far from perfect and I recall in the 1990s when I was teaching in a computer lab at the local junior high school that crashes were not entirely infrequent (the register dumps were always interesting to read). Something that seemed to often excite the machine's ire and cause a crash was use of the AppleTalk networking feature.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The way I envision a cooperative system taking care of this problem is that the cyclic executive loop sets a timer every time it calls a task. As long as the task takes only a reasonable amount of time before giving control back, all is well. Control is never seized, and the task only gives back control when it's at a good pausing point. But if the task goes south, the timer times out and generates an interrupt, and its ISR records that fact and gives control back to the loop.

What you have described is preemptive multitasking. The fact that a timer interrupt can trigger a task switch takes the operating system out of the realm of cooperative multitasking, even in a case where a task may voluntarily relinquish its time quantum. Incidentally, a process running under UNIX or Linux can voluntarily relinquish control by calling the kernel sleep() API before its time quantum has expired.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 pm 

Perfect is the enemy of good.

You can have a fun and useful system without MMU and with cooperative multitasking, especially if you're the only person using it. If a task misbehaves, just hit the reset button and fix it. Let's not discourage people who actually take the effort in creating something.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:07 pm 

> Let's not discourage people who actually take the effort in creating something.
Quite so.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
The way I envision a cooperative system taking care of this problem is that the cyclic executive loop sets a timer every time it calls a task. As long as the task takes only a reasonable amount of time before giving control back, all is well. Control is never seized, and the task only gives back control when it's at a good pausing point. But if the task goes south, the timer times out and generates an interrupt, and its ISR records that fact and gives control back to the loop.

What you have described is preemptive multitasking. The fact that a timer interrupt can trigger a task switch takes the operating system out of the realm of cooperative multitasking, even in a case where a task may voluntarily relinquish its time quantum. Incidentally, a process running under UNIX or Linux can voluntarily relinquish control by calling the kernel sleep() API before its time quantum has expired.

I would say not really, because the timer is never used for task switching, but only for task termination, and only if the task goes wayward. Preemption always results in a task getting kicked out. No help moving things into storage, no going-away party.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 pm 

I like the idea of a cooperative "scheduler" and a preemptive "executioner". I am reminded of the "watchdog" interrupt facility in some small systems.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm 

Arlet wrote:
Perfect could as well be a driving force to let good advance to better ;)

Arlet wrote:
You can have a fun and useful system without MMU and with cooperative multitasking, especially if you're the only person using it. If a task misbehaves, just hit the reset button and fix it. Let's not discourage people who actually take the effort in creating something.
You are fully right - having a multitasking or multithreading OS available is a big step ahead and opens a new quality for a programmer to achieve his or her aims. I devoutly hope that Hugh isn't getting discouraged by this discussion!

If (due to my limited Forth knowledge) I understand Hugh's idea correctly he figured out a neat way to do a sort of "soft task switching" by selecting a frequently used primitive to check whether time is up and then do a switch with minimum housekeeping efforts. Additionally he assist this switchover by some new instructions, accelerating things even more. This looks to me as a very nifty variant of a switchover and perhaps a really new one as well!

BTW: thinking about a bulletproof multitasking does not mean cooperative MT is useless - cooperative MT could be used within a task as well - I think this is commonly called multithreading.

barrym95838 wrote:
I like the idea of a cooperative "scheduler" and a preemptive "executioner". I am reminded of the "watchdog" interrupt facility in some small systems.

Mike B.
The W65C265 has a dedicated timer to serve as a watchdog. And the W65C265 as well as the W65C816 have an ABORT-facility that can be used to implement a MMU - there is quite a bunch of additional logic necessary, but who cares ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:03 am 

I'm a fan of true multi-tasking. Kernels with true multi-tasking don't need to be large and complex. There are several multi-tasking software kernels that are only a few kb in size. I wonder how efficient a co-operative multi-tasker is. With all the checking for task switches seems like it would be less efficient than pre-emptive.

MMU's can vary from really simple to very complex. Simply switching memory banks by holding a bank number in a register can go a long ways towards providing protection of one task from another. Using a typical 512k ram could provide enough memory for 16, 32kb tasks.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 am 

Rob Finch wrote:
I'm a fan of true multi-tasking. Kernels with true multi-tasking don't need to be large and complex. There are several multi-tasking software kernels that are only a few kb in size. I wonder how efficient a co-operative multi-tasker is. With all the checking for task switches seems like it would be less efficient than pre-emptive.

MMU's can vary from really simple to very complex. Simply switching memory banks by holding a bank number in a register can go a long ways towards providing protection of one task from another. Using a typical 512k ram could provide enough memory for 16, 32kb tasks.

I agree. I think "true" multi-tasking is easier than cooperative multi-tasking. But the latter has advantages when communication between tasks have a prominent role. There you can simply share a common buffer. True multi-tasking would not allow that. There either the OS has to provide some sort of mailbox services (which I like) or a somewhat more powerful MMU is required that allow to access multiple regions which may then overlap with other tasks (never heard of such usage).

(OT: Things are going to become really weird when there is more than one CPU running simultaneously... :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:28 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Hugh Aguilar wrote:
I wish I had thought of the 65VM02 in the early 1980s, but I was still in high-school at that time. The 65VM02 would have allowed computers such as the Commodore-64 to support a multi-tasking OS. How cool would that have been? 8) CP/M and MS-DOS would not have become popular --- who would want to use MS-DOS and its TSRs :twisted: when a real multi-tasking OS was available on the C64? --- the world would have been a better place!

By the late 1970s, preemptive multitasking was available in the form of UNIX. All of the targeted systems had the common features of memory protection and user/supervisor mode, which none of the Commodore eight bit machines had. A different microprocessor would not have mattered, as the eight Commodore designs from the VIC-20 onward were hobbled by the behavior of the video hardware, which was in constant contention with the MPU for bus time. A protected environment on such a machine would have been all but impossible to implement, since, in effect, two different processors were accessing the buses.

Anyone who is familiar with the hardware of systems capable of preemptive multitasking knows that the MPU is only part of the equation. What makes preemptive multitasking of the sort implemented with UNIX practical is hardware support for memory protection and different modes of operation. In modern systems, the MPU handles that ("rings of privilege," page tables, etc.). Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, most systems had dedicated management hardware to enforce memory protection and the trapping of privileged instructions when executing in user mode. A few multitasking machines, most notably the Commodore Amiga, had no dedicated memory management hardware and relied upon careful operating system design to protect the kernel and critical system areas from the effects of dubious programming. However, the Amiga was a one-user system, unlike its contemporaries that ran UNIX, which were designed from scratch to support multiple users running multiple tasks. The Amiga kernel's only real threat was the user and if s/he were dumb enough to run a program that overwrote the kernel, stack, or other system area and crashed the machine (which people did do on occasion), oh well!

I don't need memory-management hardware, or a supervisor mode, or any of that other stuff that Unix machines have. I'm not expecting the 65VM02 to be a multi-user system. Even if it had been in the C64, it would have still been a single-user system --- but it would have allowed for doing tasks in the background --- it would have been better than MS-DOS with all of those TSRs that were obviously a kludge.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I'm not certain what your ultimate goal is with your 65VM02 design, but my curmudgeonly opinion is you will find that an intense focus on the microprocessor without considering how the rest of the targeted system will fit together is not going to produce a satisfactory result. A computer is much more than just an MPU. What about I/O? Oftentimes, the interfacing of I/O hardware to the system is much more complicated than interfacing the microprocessor. Although the 65xx peripheral devices may suffice in a uni-tasking environment, they will probably be inadequate in a multitasking situation, especially the 65C51 UART, which is a very "labor-intensive" device from the perspective of the microprocessor.

I don't see a problem with "labor-intensive" I/O devices. The IRQ and NMI can interrupt the low-priority ISRs. I/O that needs to serviced frequently will not have to wait on the multi-tasking OS. Also, the low-priority MIRQ interrupts don't have to wait for a task-switch, so they are pretty fast too. They can't interrupt each other though, so if you have more than one pending, some of them will have to wait. They are written in assembly-language though, so they should conclude quite quickly, so there isn't much of a wait. It is possible for them to be written in Forth, but I said that this is not recommended because of the speed issue.

The 65VM02 is designed for hard real-time micro-controllers. It supports a multi-tasking OS though, which is for tasks that don't have to be done on a strict schedule (soft real-time).

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Also, the focus on Forth will likely narrow the attraction of your design to where it may not be of interest to those who would want to run an operating environment of which Forth would not be a part. The hardware design should not favor one operating environment over another, and should be sufficiently generalized to allow any kind of operating environment to be run, including one with a real-time kernel.

The 65VM02 is not Forth-centric.

There are processors, such as the MiniForth/RACE that I worked on previously, that were specifically designed to support Forth. The 65VM02 isn't one of them. There should be no difficulty in writing a C, Pascal, or whatever compiler for the 65VM02 --- the code quality should be comparable to Forth in regard to size and speed.

The 65VM02 supports byte-code with these instructions:
Code:
JVM page          jump through the pointer located at (page*$100+A)
OPA                 load A with (IP) in the alternate-bank, then increment IP
EXIP                exchange IP with YA

OPA and JVM are used in NEXT. Also, OPA is used in any primitive that has an operand, such as LIT etc.. EXIP is used in CALL and EXECUTE. This should be the same for either C or Forth.

The 65VM02 supports local variables with these instructions:
Code:
LLY                 load Y with the offset to the bottom value of the return-stack from the page boundary
AAS                 add A to S

LLY provides the local-frame address. AAS discards the local-frame from the return-stack. The local-frame is the same in both Forth and C --- this is something that Forth borrowed from C --- the difference is that my Forth supports quotations and HOFs, which C does not support (I don't know why C doesn't support this; that was a failure in the design of C, because this can easily be supported).[/quote]

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In following your topic, I'm getting the feeling you haven't fully defined what it is the 65VM02 is supposed to do that the 65C02 and 65C816 can't do. Am I misunderstanding?

AFAIK, nobody has downloaded my document and read it. Nobody is actually following the topic.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:06 am 

GaBuZoMeu wrote:
Arlet wrote:

Arlet wrote:
You are fully right - having a multitasking or multithreading OS available is a big step ahead and opens a new quality for a programmer to achieve his or her aims. I devoutly hope that Hugh isn't getting discouraged by this discussion!

If (due to my limited Forth knowledge) I understand Hugh's idea correctly he figured out a neat way to do a sort of "soft task switching" by selecting a frequently used primitive to check whether time is up and then do a switch with minimum housekeeping efforts. Additionally he assist this switchover by some new instructions, accelerating things even more. This looks to me as a very nifty variant of a switchover and perhaps a really new one as well!

What you are describing is something I had in an early version, but no longer have.

Previously I had expected to have a T-flag that gets set by the heartbeat timer (either the ISR does this, or it is done by hardware). At NEXT for every primitive (not any particular frequently used primitive), the T-flag is tested and if set a task-switch is done.

I got rid of all that though.

There were problems with that design. Specifically, that accessing some shared resource could only be done inside of a single primitive, which necessarily implied that the code was written in assembly-language. What I have now is the EXA instruction that allows a task to obtain a semaphore. This means that accessing some shared resource can be done in Forth code (or C code or whatever language is being used) --- it doesn't have to be done inside of a single primitive --- the whole point of the 65VM02 is to support high-level languages, so I don't want to force people to use assembly-language for common programming tasks.

I think my design is way beyond the 65c02. I have support for byte-code VM execution which makes a high-level language realistic, I have support for local variables, I have support for semaphores, and I have support for a RAM-disk outside of the 64KB main-bank. The 65c02 lacked support for all of this --- that is why it became obsolete --- it was a very minor upgrade to the 6502; it just wasn't moving forward into the future.

The 65c816 is a much bigger processor than the 65VM02, with 16-bit registers. It doesn't support byte-code VM execution though, so high-level language compilers will typically generate machine-code which is typically quite bloaty. The 65c816 also only has the NMI and IRQ interrupts, the same as the 65c02, so it is pretty weak compared to the 65VM02 that has NMI IRQ MIRQ0 MIRQ1 MIRQ2 MIRQ3 interrupts --- the 65VM02 also allows NMI and IRQ interrupts to interrupt MIRQ ISRs, although the MIRQ interrupts can't interrupt each other's ISRs, so I have a distinction between high-priority and low-priority interrupts.

In the 65VM02 I have the D register that indicates where the direct-page and return-stack are. The D register is always even, so the direct-page will be on an even page and the return-stack will be on the next higher page. By changing D the entire context of a task can be swapped out with that of another task (most tasks use only the direct-page and return-stack for all of their data). This makes for very fast task-switches. The tasks communicate with each other using shared data-structures in the heap (there is 56KB of RAM available in the main-bank, so the heap is pretty big).

The 65VM02 is still an 8-bit processor with 8-bit registers. It is not an upgrade to 16-bit registers like the 65c816. It seems like upgrading from 8-bit to 16-bit registers is obvious. I am dubious that this is a good idea though. To me, the hallmark of the 65c02 was the A X Y and S registers, all 8-bit, and that is what I still have in the 65VM02 (with the addition of the D register that is also 8-bit). This is a small processor! I do have the IP register that is 16-bit, but this is provided to support byte-code VM execution, which is only necessary for high-level languages support.

Having a very few 8-bit registers allows the 65VM02 to have very fast interrupt response time (the IP registers doesn't have to be saved and restored if the ISRs are written in assembly-language, which is the typical case). All in all, I think the 65VM02 is a better design than the MSP430 or STM8 --- those are primarily what it would compete against.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 am 

GaBuZoMeu wrote:

True, but it's better to build a good system first, and perfect it step by step. It's too easy to come up with many great ideas from the start until you're overwhelmed and quit.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am 

Arlet wrote:
GaBuZoMeu wrote:

True, but it's better to build a good system first, and perfect it step by step. It's too easy to come up with many great ideas from the start until you're overwhelmed and quit.

Amen. I have spent a large portion of my life struggling with the issues you describe. It is not a pleasant experience.

Mike B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next