6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 65C134
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:55 am 

question, am sick of the dead ends and bad compile and the uphill battle with the 2051 I have been doing at work. Looks like the 2051 cannot support I2C slave mode at all. (the bad compile goofiness, if your compilar tells you that a command works and gives examples and causes errors when you DO try and use it...there is a slightly bad writing problem in there!) Frustrated and sick of dealing with it.

Am now looking at the 65c134 as an all in one chip solution for my work project. Assembly, Kowalski's killer program. Eprom emulator once again.

Anyone already worked with the 134, love it, hate it? also want simple RS232 routines with it all :)

Am planning to order one or two and build up the board for it. Any gotchas I should know before embarking on this side of things?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:46 pm 

I have not worked with WDC's microcontrollers. But as I understand it, these chips have an integrated ROM monitor which permits you to interact with it via RS-232 (so it obviously has RS-232 functions available somewhere), and even download software to internal memory via RS-232 for subsequent execution. It has lots of I/O pins available, so you can bit-bang I2C yourself if needed. Although since you're apparently looking to make an I2C slave, it looks like you'll want to find a way to trigger an interrupt whenever the I2C bus starts a transaction, so you don't have to babysit the bus all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:46 pm 

I am going to give up with I2C for this.

I was using AT89C2051's for each individual function board. One board for IR reads, one for AV crosspoint work and one for solonoid triggering.

the 134 has enough I/O pins where I can simply use it as a single master board and run ribbon cables as parallel port controllers, which is functionally what I did with the pinball project.

I had gotten a controller originally of the MCS-51 basic and an AVE controller. then switched over to I2C.

Since the 2051's cannot slave as I2C, there is no reason to keep it, especially since the 134 can do everything I need in one huge setup.

I found the two other cpus to be foreigners to me. Am preferring to stay on home turf.

So really, the new specs are much simpler.

RS232 port
main computer gives a command string, similar to a sysex in midi.
20 pin ribbon port will give me the following lines:
d0-d7
a0-a3
/cs
/oe
any others
power

I will use the 2051's on one expansion board which has up to 4 IR control sets. They can send their information back to the 134 when polled.

The other functions are simple sta outs.

I will keep an outboard Eprom for programming since I dont know if the 134 can be flash rommed. That was a sweet part of the 2051.

After all the time going down a dead end, I am going to do a hand build rather than a development system. Once again, ExpressPCB comes to the rescue in letting me bringup boards speedily. Me loves 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:05 pm 

K, got the supervisory ok. Found out the I2C slave didnt exist so I really was at a dead end there. the 134 is WAY more elegant, plus I talked to WDC about it and we will be trading information. I will be putting up schematics and source as i did for the pinball (still gotta get my rear in gear to finish THAT one up!).

the specs in the previosu post are pretty locked in and make much more sense with the application. At least will be able to give the real w3orld festivities from here, didnt find too much else on real world 134s...

the fun begins today :)

Post subject: 2 cents
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:53 pm 

I would like to humbly suggest the SX microcontroller for you bit-banging needs. It is simple to learn, really. The SX48 has 36 IO pins, 8 of which can be configured to interrupt the device on either rising or falling edges (each pin can be configured separately). It also has an onboard timer-rollover interrupt. It has 4K 12-bit WORDS of instructions and 256 bytes of RAM on board. The device is only $4.00 in small quantities and comes in a TQFP package. The SX28 is similar but with less pins, ROM, and RAM, but is cheaper and comes in a DIP or SOIC. You can clock these things to (over) 75 MHz at about 1 MIPS per MHz. They can run from 5V to lower than 3V.

Yes, yes, the whole familiar territory thing...but they're so darn easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 pm 

Were you at HauntX by any chance? I was there hunting for stars for our movie horrorween. I had asked about what type of CPU you guys were using. I was also one of the drawing winners :)

I had spent about 3 months learning and suffering up with 8051 code and Bascom. Sweet compiler, but some insane errors. If there is a Put#1 command to output the RS232 and the command generates an error every single compile, it gets a tad frustrating (had to go use the print command which does the same to get it running, and the examples and help file in the compiler all pointed to the erroneous command. This was like 5 or 6 commands. It was an uphill battle just to get things going).

that is why I decided to try the 134. everything in a single package and the programming I know, since I am doing a seperate pinball machine project using the 6502. Familiar territory.

did get your catalog with the DL16 relay board (guys, if you seriously want a good cheap relay control or control in general, check out Steve's line at www.parallax.com). all good stuph.

the propeller is exciting as heck. there is one project I had been thinking of as well for using a Xilinx and RAM as a cheap NTSC graphics controller. nobody on the market today has a cheap command controllable graphics controller. what do you think about throwing one as an application to show off the Propeller?

specs:
Inputs available:
I2C
USB
RS232
8 bit parallel

outputs:
VGA
NTSC

command structure
GraphicModeSet(mode)
DrawLine(x1,y1,x2,y2)
Setgraphic(graphicnum,x,y,scaling)
MoveGraphic(graphicnum,startlocx,startlocy,velocityx,velocityy)
and so on...

have the graphics load into a flash or ram or an eprom onboard.

Reason I had those as a graphics set was based on some arcade game work I did years ago in several games. Makes a library that makes sense to me, thats all.

someone has a micro VGA controller, but I dont know the library output and the straight VGA mode is a slight pain to deal with.

Basic need. nobody has a cheap and bang for the buck graphics controller. from the raw power you have for Propeller, why not add it to your product line? :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 am 

Already started circuit design. Got schematic, interconnect spreadsheet and a custom 65C134 symbol for ExpressPCB libraries. Also got the prospectus rolling.

http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502.php

Will keep updating in there as it goes. The code is non proprietary for the entire unit and can serve as a useful teaching tool since there is very little utilization of the 134. Me likes this chip a LOT :)

As a Ps, it will NOt fit on the 51 buck special, not with the 8 ribbon connectors I am doing :)....

PS2: I want to thank Dave out at WDC who I have been talking to for ages on this. This will also be information they can use as well, so it is a two tway street. Andf the same from here, a support and care I simply didnt find with the other line....

pps: and it feels SO GOOD to be back on home turf of the 6502! :)
lda!
sta!
jmp!
jmp!
jmp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm 

Nightmaretony wrote:
lda!
sta!
jmp!
jmp!
jmp!

It's the Swedish Programmer!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:42 pm 

Ok, got the boards back in and built. i had 2 mistakes I corrected.

1. the reset switch from Digikey, didnt have the schematic to it and ended up having a dead short to the reset line. Had to redo the traces a tiny bit.

2. the clock oscillator would work SO MUCH BETTER with a 5 volt power supply :)

both are corrected in my layout.

Anyhoo, for your viewing pleasure with a bill of materials and prospectus,
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502.php

today's program will simply flash der blinkenlights through the port setup I have in the design. Will be posting up the code in there when finished.

The first caveat in using an external eprom for the 65C134 is that the first memory location at $8000 is checked for the string "WDC" and your program begins at $8004.

I was worried chitless about how to swap back and forth for starting, and that is a nice easy way to start out with things :)

Props to da makers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:54 pm 

Also, the code will eventually run in this manner:

RS232 interpreter, getting commands to do things on the port bus system. During certain instances, there is a soft /irq I have selected and it will pass values back along the RS232 line....

but the first test: der blinkenlights....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:20 am 

kc5tja wrote:
Nightmaretony wrote:
lda!
sta!
jmp!
jmp!
jmp!

Is there a link with the Swedish Cook from the Muppets? It most probably is a joke but I don't get it, care to explain? TXS

/ /  |_/     Groetjes, Ruud
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:46 pm 

Ruud wrote:
kc5tja wrote:
Nightmaretony wrote:
lda!
sta!
jmp!
jmp!
jmp!

Is there a link with the Swedish Cook from the Muppets? It most probably is a joke but I don't get it, care to explain? TXS

yes, it's a reference to "jmp! jmp! jmp!" sounding sort of like the Swedish Chef's phrase "Børk! Børk! Børk!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:46 pm 

Actually, no. Steven Levy's book Hackers mentioned one thing from the older programmers which actually went:

Lap!
Dap!
dippy dap!
Eo!
Leo!
Jmp!
Jmp!
Jmp!

or something like that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:42 am 

That doesn't change the fact that it still sounds like the Swedish Chef. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:42 pm 

Guess I am now the Swedish Chef of the 6502 world.

Bork!
Bork!
bork!

And on the 134 side, still not working right, circuit and traces look good, brought in the pinball board and things to test back aqnd forth....