6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:50 am 

As a background, from a piece on his site:
"Forrest Mims is the most widely read electronics author in the world. His sixty books have sold over 7.5 million copies and have twice been honored for excellence by the Computer Press Association. His "Engineer’s Notebook" series of books for RadioShack are entirely hand-lettered and hand-illustrated to re-create the look of Forrest’s own laboratory notebooks."

Further down on that page, his article The Altair Story: Early Days at MITS from Creative Computing, November 1984.

Recently he did an AMA (ask me anything) here, and that links to a Q&A he did previously here. Some great quotes:
Quote:
That reminds me about dictating my earliest Radio Shack books into a portable tape recorder while riding my bike 20 miles every afternoon. My wife Minnie typed those books from the recording. Dictation wasn't feasible with the hand-lettered books, which had to be carefully designed in advance to fit everything on one or two pages per topic.
The first few pages were prepared with a Selectric typewriter. I then inserted a signature to ease the reader into the hand lettered concept Dave wanted. After several pages, the book shifted to entirely hand-lettering and illustrating. The book was written/drawn with India ink on toothed Mylar, which meant a single error required redoing an entire page. This was a very tedious project, which drew blood from the middle finger of my right hand.

Quote:
I also developed PIP--Programmable Instruction Processor--for Popular Electronics magazine and "Understanding Digital Computers" (Radio Shack). PIP was a 4-bit programmable controller made from discrete TTL chips. PIP had half a dozen microinstructions. Data and programs were loaded using punched strips of paper with 4 holes for data/instructions and a middle 5th hole for the input clock. These paper strips were pulled through a slot fitted with 5 LEDs facing 5 phototransistors. The complete PIP was assembled on our kitchen table, where it occupied around 2 square feet. BTW, PIP used 3-state logic for the bus. This allowed data and instructions to use the same bus.

Hackday writes:

Quote:
After co-founding MITS, the company that would later go on to produce the Altair 8800, Mims was gaining quite a reputation in hobby electronics and as a writer. With a monthly column in Popular Electronics magazine by 1975 and a couple of volumes of hobbyist books written for Howard Sams and Company, Radio Shack’s technical editor Dave Gunzel approached Mims about working for them. He knew of Mims’ notebook style and asked if it would be possible to develop a book using the same layouts.

via this Hackaday piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am 

Only 60? I would have guessed more. I've always been a big fan of the guy. I didn't even know about PIP!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 am 

I'm looking into PIP now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 pm 

PIP-1 is a 4-bit computer made with PROM for control, explained in the 1978 book Understanding Digital Computers (but possibly also elsewhere, in articles.) Here are a few snippets from a dodgy PDF.

Attachments:
PIP-1-p113-Mims.png
PIP-1-p113-Mims.png [ 154.56 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]
PIP-1-p114-Mims.png
PIP-1-p114-Mims.png [ 72.75 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]
PIP-1-p115-Mims.png
PIP-1-p115-Mims.png [ 102.3 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:29 pm 

I may have to get that book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 am 

Here's an interview transcript from The Amp Hour in 2013, Forrest Mims talking to Chris Gammell of Contextual Electronics and Dave Jones of EEV Blog:
http://theamphour.com/171-transcript-an ... rest-mims/

Episode notes and podcast audio: here.

Hat tip to Jac G!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Hat tip to Jac G!

If the hat tip is because you just found out about the Amp Hour... they also did an interview with Chuck Peddle once.

http://theamphour.com/241-an-interview- ... oryphaeus/

Not to mention their interview with Bil Herd (Commodore):

http://theamphour.com/222-an-interview- ... -zygology/

===Jac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 pm 

BigEd wrote:

I have that book! I used it when I was 15 years old to learn about the 74 series logic. It's a great reference! I remember being impressed with the hand written pages.

Daryl